Josh Todd

Hambud

Just now, mcdowell76 said:

We have signed countless full time players in the past 2 or 3 seasons who have failed to make the "transition"! :lol: 

I thought Agnew did okay. He scored some goals. The problem was that was in direct competition with Mallan.

This boy may well be in direct competition with Mallan as well for his preferred position through the middle. However, he's been playing wide all season in a team higher up the league than us.

He can therefore play anywhere across the 3 attacking midfield positions.

IMO, we will be expecting him to immediately be able to compete / cover for one of the positions.

As ever I admire your combativity Cap'n but I fail to see much relevance in the above waffle with regard to my original post.

We've got a p/t player coming into a f/t set-up which is a step up. That Dumbarton are currently above us in 8th place is no great argument either, long term that would likely be 18th of 19 f/t clubs and wouldn't keep the manager's job secure.

Todd's replacing Walsh who scored 4 goals in not nearly as many games before being jettisoned after the Morton defeat at the beginning of November, competing against Mallan and a couple of promising youngsters both of whom have already scored this season. While I agree he'll be in the mix straightaway (and said so in my first post) I don't think he'll be starting on Saturday (unlike Loy & Storie) if he does I'd regard it as panicking on JR's part.

57 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

You don't pay compensation for amateurs surely?

A few Dumbarton and Queen of the South fans on Pie & Bovril think we'd still have to pay Annan compensation for him if he signed a pro contract with us.

13 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

22-y-o coming from a p/t club. Realistically that is where we are at this point and I guess we have to hope that he's young enough to make the breakthrough as a f/t player. Like BinEK I wonder if he's been signed with one eye on Mallan leaving. Whatever the case JR is starting to get the squad he wants so let's hope he can turn things around. At the very least we're weakening one of the two clubs we have a realistic chance of catching.

We took a 17 year old from an U20 team whose club was bottom of the League and put him straight into our first team and he has been a standout. We also have an experienced 31yo Scotland international who cannot get into our team. Until we see our new 22yo  former p/t player in action I do not think we can judge him.

Edit to Add: Todd has played in every game for Dumbarton this season (well 23 games anyway) so should be match fit if called upon.

Edited by Sonny

1 hour ago, class of 76-77 said:

Dumbarton apparently paid 5k compensation to Annan for Josh Todd. Not sure if this is accurate as I understood he was registered as an amateur in order to play.

They didn't pay anything apparently ....

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/annan-striker-josh-todd-joins-dumbarton-as-an-amateur-1-4179183

19 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We took a 17 year old from an U20 team whose club was bottom of the League and put him straight into our first team and he has been a standout. We also have an experienced 31yo Scotland international who cannot get into our team. Until we see our new 22yo  former p/t player in action I do not think we can judge him.

.............I'd say assess his likely impact rather than prejudge but what else do you expect on a football forum?

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

.............I'd say assess his likely impact rather than prejudge but what else do you expect on a football forum?

Not going to disagree with you Bud. This season players that I thought would do us a good turn turned out to be poor and players I had rarely heard of turned out to be far better than their more hyped up team-mates.

59 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Edit to Add: Todd has played in every game for Dumbarton this season (well 23 games anyway) so should be match fit if called upon.

I had to think who you were talking about there :rolleyes: Hard to believe someone with all that potential can put in the sort of performances we see now.

17 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Hopefully Josh Todd comes in and does well but the jury will be out until he does, I'm afraid. To me it's very much like the Scott Agnew signing & that didn't exactly turn out great.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Hmm, I'm not sure if the comparison is helpful. The only link being that they were brought in from the same club. Aside from that, Todd is no different from numerous others that managers down the years have taken a punt on.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

As ever I admire your combativity Cap'n but I fail to see much relevance in the above waffle with regard to my original post.

We've got a p/t player coming into a f/t set-up which is a step up. That Dumbarton are currently above us in 8th place is no great argument either, long term that would likely be 18th of 19 f/t clubs and wouldn't keep the manager's job secure.

Todd's replacing Walsh who scored 4 goals in not nearly as many games before being jettisoned after the Morton defeat at the beginning of November, competing against Mallan and a couple of promising youngsters both of whom have already scored this season. While I agree he'll be in the mix straightaway (and said so in my first post) I don't think he'll be starting on Saturday (unlike Loy & Storie) if he does I'd regard it as panicking on JR's part.

As ever, I don't see any relevance in the above waffle with regards to my reply to your original post. :P

Hmm, I'm not sure if the comparison is helpful. The only link being that they were brought in from the same club. Aside from that, Todd is no different from numerous others that managers down the years have taken a punt on.

I wasn't comparing him to Scott Agnew and it's only coincidence that he's coming from the same club... my point was more towards the fact that he's a part time player, stepping up to be full time (like Agnew) & I hope it doesn't work out the same way as Agnew did, hence why I have my doubts. It's not always the case but a lot of part time players struggle to make the step up.

Just now, Stevie88 said:

I wasn't comparing him to Scott Agnew and it's only coincidence that he's coming from the same club... my point was more towards the fact that he's a part time player, stepping up to be full time (like Agnew) & I hope it doesn't work out the same way as Agnew did, hence why I have my doubts. It's not always the case but a lot of part time players struggle to make the step up.

Ah, okay, fair enough.

Just now, mcdowell76 said:

A quick look on P&B and Todd is described as a "meh player".

None of them appear to be upset about his leaving and think that replacing him with either Walsh or even Callum Gallagher would leave them better off....

They can have Gallagher in that case.

2 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

Only amateur for the last 6 months - professional for the 6 years before that. Signed as an amateur because Dumbarton couldn't afford the compensation due if he signed as a pro.

6 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

Was Darren McGregor not P/T when he came to us