Best end to a season ever coming up?

We have literally been all over the place in recent seasons with new managers and so-called promising new signings - only for our hopes to be cruelly dashed time after time.

Will the run up to the end of the 2016/17 season see us achieve the greatest escape ever?

Personally I think the Jack Ross and James Fowler management team can pull it off, even although results so far would not appear to back up that opinion. Many professionals in the game speak highly of JR and his potential to be a first rate football manager. His excursion into the January transfer window so far, appears to be addressing the obvious weaknesses in the imbalanced squad he inherited.

If we avoid the drop to the 3rd level of Scottish football it would truly be the greatest feat in recent times even surpassing the League Cup win of 2013. 

We, the fans, have an important part to play in turning up in larger numbers and giving the team our positive support and encouragement. However, this will only happen in response to better results on the park - a chicken & egg situation perhaps.

Even if we do not succeed in staying in the Championship this season, the indications are that JR (quite rightly) will stay in post and that where there previously was only despair, there is now at least hope of better things to come in the not too distant future.

49 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

We have literally been all over the place in recent seasons with new managers and so-called promising new signings - only for our hopes to be cruelly dashed time after time.

Will the run up to the end of the 2016/17 season see us achieve the greatest escape ever?

Personally I think the Jack Ross and James Fowler management team can pull it off, even although results so far would not appear to back up that opinion. Many professionals in the game speak highly of JR and his potential to be a first rate football manager. His excursion into the January transfer window so far, appears to be addressing the obvious weaknesses in the imbalanced squad he inherited.

If we avoid the drop to the 3rd level of Scottish football it would truly be the greatest feat in recent times even surpassing the League Cup win of 2013. 

We, the fans, have an important part to play in turning up in larger numbers and giving the team our positive support and encouragement. However, this will only happen in response to better results on the park - a chicken & egg situation perhaps.

Even if we do not succeed in staying in the Championship this season, the indications are that JR (quite rightly) will stay in post and that where there previously was only despair, there is now at least hope of better things to come in the not too distant future.

I would say that we often tend to get excited in most January windows, usually on the basis  of who has been sent out on loan or released by us with the assumption, often stated on here, no one could be any worse than Calum Ball, Adam Campbell etc in previous years or Shankland, Walsh, Hardie, Gallagher this year.

A lot will depend on how Loy and Storrie do. My hunch is the Norwegian Pal may have arrived via linkedin, and it would be nice if Todd has been saving his goals for the 2nd half of the season and gives us better midfield options as well. No defenders yet (unless Pal goes there), no goalkeeper.

As for being more impressive than the League Cup win in 2013, we beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie, Celtic in a semi final where we outclassed and won a ding-dong cliffhanger against Hearts and had a team with Goodwin, Thommo, Teale, McGowan, McGinn, Dummett, Newton, Isma all playing close to the top of form and guys like McLean and Imrie struggling to get a game. 

9 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I would say that we often tend to get excited in most January windows, usually on the basis  of who has been sent out on loan or released by us with the assumption, often stated on here, no one could be any worse than Calum Ball, Adam Campbell etc in previous years or Shankland, Walsh, Hardie, Gallagher this year.

A lot will depend on how Loy and Storrie do. My hunch is the Norwegian Pal may have arrived via linkedin, and it would be nice if Todd has been saving his goals for the 2nd half of the season and gives us better midfield options as well. No defenders yet (unless Pal goes there), no goalkeeper.

As for being more impressive than the League Cup win in 2013, we beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie, Celtic in a semi final where we outclassed and won a ding-dong cliffhanger against Hearts and had a team with Goodwin, Thommo, Teale, McGowan, McGinn, Dummett, Newton, Isma all playing close to the top of form and guys like McLean and Imrie struggling to get a game. 

No way would the current team match the 2013 team but IF we avoid relegation this season that would be greater reason to rejoice than the League cup win. That you may remember was followed by an alcoholic bender which we never quite recovered from. This might also explain some of the boardroom decisions taken shortly after!

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

No way would the current team match the 2013 team but IF we avoid relegation this season that would be greater reason to rejoice than the League cup win. That you may remember was followed by an alcoholic bender which we never quite recovered from. This might also explain some of the boardroom decisions taken shortly after!

Worth pointing out neither of us had an alcoholic bender after the 2013 and your 'we' refers to the professional footballers at St Mirren at the time.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm really not chasing you over the forum looking for a fight :boxing , but that season was Craig Brown's final one in charge of Aberdeen and they finished in the Bottom 6 - still a good result though. Beating Celtic in the S/F was a great result especially given that it came after a 4-1 home defeat to Ross County. I would have been disappointed to lose to Hearts in the final from an objective PoV as their squad by that time was weakened by financial problems and they finished the season in 10th place. Indeed given the strength of our squad that season you could argue that in a division without Rangers it was an achievement to finish 11th with only an underprepared Dundee beneath us.

PS - Can we still be friends? :wub:

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

If we do not stay in the Championship, is it certain we go part time.

No it isn't. If clubs like Morton, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Livingston and Queen of the South can all maintain full time football in the third tier and some in a far worse state than we are, then we will be able to as well.

That's not to say it wouldn't be disastrous situation though, or we wouldn't target having some of our squad as part time. But we've had several part time players in the past whilst still being full time and they've done OK, by and large. Guys like John O'Neill and Craig Hinchcliffe done more than a decent turn as P/T players.

Edited by djchapsticks

53 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm really not chasing you over the forum looking for a fight :boxing , but that season was Craig Brown's final one in charge of Aberdeen and they finished in the Bottom 6 - still a good result though. Beating Celtic in the S/F was a great result especially given that it came after a 4-1 home defeat to Ross County. I would have been disappointed to lose to Hearts in the final from an objective PoV as their squad by that time was weakened by financial problems and they finished the season in 10th place. Indeed given the strength of our squad that season you could argue that in a division without Rangers it was an achievement to finish 11th with only an underprepared Dundee beneath us.

PS - Can we still be friends? :wub:

Of course we can stay friends! The cup winning season was very patchy. I think it took until November before we put a good run together and McGinn came into the team. As far as the barbs about 11th go Dundee didn't ever get really close to us, was it 6 points with a few games left or something and then we won a few games and finished 12 points clear. I think it was that season where we had some games in hand near the point where the league split and where had we won our games in hand we could have gone top 6, Did we not also finish closer to the points total of 6th than 12th that season as well, and the teams from 7th to ourselves were pretty closely bunched for much of the season. We were never under huge pressure of going down and took the foot off the gas after winning the cup,

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 0:29 PM, northstbuddie said:

I ask again after the January transfer window - is the greatest escape still on - even although it will be an even greater escape than when this thread was first opened a month ago?

8 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I ask again after the January transfer window - is the greatest escape still on - even although it will be an even greater escape than when this thread was first opened a month ago?

Win today and it's on .

52 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Highly unlikely. BUT... Ask again in just over three weeks time.

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Lose to Ayr and we're dead and buried.

25th February Train leaves North Berwick 9.21am arrives in Ayr 1.30pm. Couple of beers, match. Beer after the game Return train 6.21pm Pint in Edinburgh Station, back in North Berwick 10.16pm. Pint in NB home for 11pm. Better be Fecking worth it.

I was there in Ayr at somerset park in 1978 for the premier league 6 pointer which we won 1-0.meaning we stayed up and they went down. Hopefully we can repeat that in 2017.

HSS you will no doubt be able to direct us to the programme for that famous day.

COYS  we're in the last chance Saloon

Edited by East Lothian Saint
HSS Knows best

32 minutes ago, HSS said:

But since it's you..........

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=197803180

I always thought that was an end of season game but there were still 8 games to play after that one.

We certainly left the ground singing we're staying up. Anyway that's 15p and a thrupenny bit I owe you. Feck where did I put my thrupenny bits.

• 1 month later...

It almost makes you think Jack is standing in Gus's shadow and has learnt from him.

Nothing a Buddie appreciates more than going to the cinema on a Saturday afternoon, is to trundle down to St Mirren Park in the mist and rain to gnaw their elbows whilst watching a grinding relegation shitfest at the end of a season.

Ah.... Good ole Gus - them were the days  :)