St Mirren v Falkirk - 28 January 2017

southsidebud

Very disappointed (as usual). Once McKenzie went off we had no central defence and Irvine is a liability. Really poor defensive display today. Storie was winning the ball and giving it away again which was frustrating but the most frustrating thing for me was Sutton. Thought that he was very poor and the rest of the team just thumped high balls to him. Would have taken him off at half-time and moved Smith in to play with Loy and played the ball on the deck instead of the long aimless punts.Good points were McGinn who looked great and Smith who looked decent. Fjelde was steady, Hope Jack gets the left back and central defender he is after.

With Hippolyte, Baird and Miller, Falkirk looked threatening. For the majority of the game we looked about as likely to score as I am about to score a threesome with Kylie Minogue, Carol Vorderman and my favourite, the wummin' fae' the Scottish Widows adverts. Houston once more, the experienced head coach with St Mirren's sorry arse in his hip pocket.

More beer required here. Bring on the Alloa.

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

With Hippolyte, Baird and Miller, Falkirk looked threatening. For the majority of the game we looked about as likely to score as I am about to score a threesome with Kylie Minogue, Carol Vorderman and my favourite, the wummin' fae' the Scottish Widows adverts. Houston once more, the experienced head coach with St Mirren's sorry arse in his hip pocket.

Shows you how much you know , it's Dumbarton next week (although your thrice isn't bad ) . 

We've still got Ayr and the Sons twice . It's not over yet . 

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm sure could have had Peter Houston as manager. 

When we punted Lennon he was out of work and looking for a job. 

If we'd made the right decision then, I'm quite sure we'd still be in the SPL. 

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

This threesome you talk about, are you going to sit and watch..........

or a foursome.:D

Thought we started brightly in the first 5 or 6 minutes... then MacKenzie picked up his knock and tried to play on with restricted mobility. O' Brien looked pretty eratic during the first 15 minutes or so with a fumble and a few questionable decisions to come rushing from his line. He got away with those rushes of blood to the head and had a few good saves later on.

As the redoubtable Kenny Crawford pointed out: "St Mirren were unhappy that Hippolyte took his throw-in about 10 yards further up the pitch from where the ball went out, yet the home defence was still guilty of not being on their toes. Baird took the ball towards goal from the left-hand side of the box and stroked it low beyond Billy O'Brien from a fairly tight angle". Even though it was appalling that the linesman didn't spot that a shy which should have been taken 5 yards inside's Falkirk's half was taken 5 yards inside ours it was criminal to go a goal down to a quick throw from around the halfway line... a struggling MacKenzie was left exposed on his own with Baird from the shy and once it went in we were left chasing the game.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of us for the next 10-15 minutes and we could easily have fallen further behind until we finally cme into the game again before half time.  I felt that Cammy Smith looked pretty decent and Loy looked as though he might link quite well with Sutton and the midfield. Storie got stuck in but had a lot of wayward passes today and didnt seem to provide much of a shield for our defence today.

We didn't work Rodgers much and were guilty in both halves of over-complicating things when we were in good positions and looked shot-shy again.  McGinn's introduction for the ineffective Mallan was a welcome change and despite being short of match-fitness McGinn did well in nearly always finding a St Mirren man with his passes and got us going forward and provided a bit of dig and nous as well. 

From where we were it looked as though Miller was offside when he received the pass to whip in the cross for Falkirk's decisive second goal - did St Mirren TV show any replays?

Although Fjelde, McGinn, Smith and Loy all showed they could strengthen the team for the final few months of the season when Falkirk went 2-0 up you felt the result wasn't in danger and although Loy did well to get his goal we lacked the killer instinct in the final third today and didn't come close to grabbing an equaliser.

Once McGinn gets up to speed it could be time for Mallan to have an extended time on the bench. I think we may have a decent enough squad now to look at winning against teams in the bottom half of the league and realistically the only way we can  hope to avoid the drop is by clinically picking up 3 points on a regular basis against Ayr, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline and Queen of the South between now and May.

8 minutes ago, Deekthebuddie said:

Had some hope after last week but we have whored it again. Whether or not we are playing better, creating chances etc, we need to be getting wins and we aren't. Think anyone who thinks we can now stay up needs a reality check. Hate to be downbeat, but also think I'm being realistic

I know we can still stay up. The reality check would be for anyone who thinks we can't. We may be unlikely to, but the fact remains, we can. 

#pedant

26 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Morton are doing us a massive favour at the moment. Today was dire apart from the last 10 minutes. We have to beat Dumbarton next week and hope Ayr lose, if that happens then we set up a cracker down at Ayr on the 25th February. Falkirk are up the top end of the table so fair enough a result today would have been a massive bonus but Dumbarton and Ayr are the teams we must beat.

We need to beat any team put in front of us as p/t Dumbarton can do it.

He really needs to address our woeful defence

To lose a goal straight from a throw in despite stolen yardage is playground stuff

3 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

We need to beat any team put in front of us as p/t Dumbarton can do it.

He really needs to address our woeful defence

To lose a goal straight from a throw in despite stolen yardage is playground stuff

Yep to try blame the referee/linesman is covering up for woeful defending on our part. As i said previously we need another decent centre back at least.

When doing the maths it's possible, but when taking the state of our play, the points our closest rivals are picking up I don't see any hope for us. I wish I could share the optimism (similar to an SNP Indy1 supporter) that we will 'come good' but the proof is in our results. I pray that something happens to keep us up but with every game, with the exception of the Dundee game, it seems unlikely

Would that not be a foursome then?

Without doubt today was a real kick in the stones for outright survival (i.e. getting to 8th)

Ayr, however, are doing no better - we actually improved our position against them by shaving two goals off their goal difference advantage.

Its poor stuff but we can still catch Ayr - although the two games against them will be a case of the "stoppable force meeting the moveable object." 

If we beat them twice we are one point behind them and then looking for one favour as long as we match the rest of their results. Then we will have to deal with the play off.

Yep - desperate stuff - and looking less and less likely - but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

It's looking like February is going to be an important month for us...*

* That one goes out to all our middle-east based listeners in the Bin :D

Edited by southsidebud

Down to earth with a crash, indeed.

Thought Smith was our best player, although he faded a bit towards the end. Really impressed with him.

Can't say the same for Storie - thought he was really poor. Would take Magennis over him any day.

Fjelde showed promise but in general our defence is chronic. Webster and Irvine were dreadful.

Not Mallans best showing but on the plus side McGinn looked great when he came on - cool head, kept the ball on the deck and didn't waste a pass.

Big Sutton - great shift as always.

Will take Ross a few weeks to work out his best XI I think, and by that time we may well be doomed.

Not long home, poor stuff.

As soon as Mckenzie went off I was fearing the worst, he's easily our best defender and biggest goal threat from set plays.

Midfield was non existent 1st half, storie is rotten, McGinn must start every game and will prove to be a crucial signing.

Positives were McGinn and Cammy Smith.

Gary Irvine should never start at left back for us again, I've given him the benefit of the doubt a few times but he is absolutely shite and that's all there is to it.

Time for a coors light, goodnight.

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Down to earth with a crash, indeed.

Thought Smith was our best player, although he faded a bit towards the end. Really impressed with him.

Can't say the same for Storie - thought he was really poor. Would take Magennis over him any day.

Fjelde showed promise but in general our defence is chronic. Webster and Irvine were dreadful.

Not Mallans best showing but on the plus side McGinn looked great when he came on - cool head, kept the ball on the deck and didn't waste a pass.

Big Sutton - great shift as always.

Will take Ross a few weeks to work out his best XI I think, and by that time we may well be doomed.

Agree with everything here except the Sutton part. 

I genuinely thought it was one of his worst performances in the stripes and would drop him for next week. 

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Understand we are all frustrated and hurting. However some of the comments written here are shocking and disgraceful call yourself fans. You want out of this mess then we need to stick together as a unit team and fans. 

Shut the feck up.

The Team is shite.

We have all been supporting them for years.

They absolutely deserve criticism today.

We will resume supporting them 3pm next Saturday

Agree with everything here except the Sutton part. 
I genuinely thought it was one of his worst performances in the stripes and would drop him for next week. 

I thought he put in a shift, won numerous headers (mostly in vain as there is never any movement next to him) and tried to link up play but got bugger all support.

He actually is , as we all are.
He is speaking as he sees it it. 
It is reality.
What is your problem, buddies1877 ? :blink:

I thought supporter support their team not slate it almost every week.

He doesn't shut about jack Ross and is not jacks fault we are where we are.

Jack will get judged next year when it's completely his team.

Working with our budget and getting the changes in personal hes don't so far has been great IMO if we don't stay up it won't of been because of him