St Mirren v Falkirk - 28 January 2017

southsidebud

This is the kind of shite that really annoys me on this forum. It was clear for anyone who was at the game that he had a hamstring injury. Such is his importance to the team he actually went back on. He has also been our best player week in week out. Watch him win EVERY header and the way he attacks the ball and tell me his heart is not in it.
Utter nonsense, like the vast majority of posts on this forum!!

If he's out for 4 weeks with a hamstring then I will concede that I'm wrong. If he's back 'fit' next week, then I don't understand what's wrong with him.
I agree he's a decent player. He's also becoming a liability with these injuries. Just as Quinn was with his inability to last more 60 mins.

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I missed this one. MacKenzie going off must have been a blow.

The wee man getting two goals against his old team (Saints) was painful.

Good to see Loy on the scoresheet and posts suggest that McGinn played well.

It was another poor performance and the team were blustering against the wind until young Stephen McGinn came on.  One must say he looked a class above everyone else on the park.  I shall travel to Dumbarton next week.  If McGinn is in the starting eleven then our chances of an elusive 3 points will be somewhat increased, somewhat increased indeed!

2 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

He's asked to do a lot of unnecessary work, is back for every corner, show up both lines for every through. However I do think that Loy is wasted playing deep to accommodate Sutton. Loy and Smith might be a better partnership and Sutton could be a good impact player from the subs bench

Daft as it sounds to drop our top goal scorer but there is some logic here. Smith was taken back from his loan at Utd because McInnes was not happy with the amount of game time he was getting  so it may be safe to assume that part of the deal was he plays a majority of games. Sutton an Loy didn't look comfirtable together yesterday.

Loy spent a lot of the game too close to Sutton, sometimes standing almost static not knowing whether to peel left or right . Now if we persevere with that partenership , it may come good , also if we continue to play high balls , the option of Smith & Sutts might work but if we want to play the sort of footy we did at Dundee last week ( I know neither smith nor Loy played) then Loy & Smith might be a better option with Sutton as the impact sub as BB said.

On the plus side , at least we appear to have some viable options now.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

McGinn looked good when he came on, Smith decent 1st half, Fjelde decent 2nd half other newbies??? Mallan outstanding at Dundee was back to the poor standard I've witnessed from him all season. We were 2nd best to a better team all day, the defence could not cope with the pace of the Falkirk forwards and McKenzie would have made little difference. His fragile legs are a frustration and whilst I appreciate his aerial ability is a positive he is slow and poor on the deck. Disappointing day but with so many changes there was always the chance of a damp squib.

The winning run starts next week!

25 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Daft as it sounds to drop our top goal scorer but there is some logic here. Smith was taken back from his loan at Utd because McInnes was not happy with the amount of game time he was getting  so it may be safe to assume that part of the deal was he plays a majority of games. Sutton an Loy didn't look comfirtable together yesterday.

Loy spent a lot of the game too close to Sutton, sometimes standing almost static not knowing whether to peel left or right . Now if we persevere with that partenership , it may come good , also if we continue to play high balls , the option of Smith & Sutts might work but if we want to play the sort of footy we did at Dundee last week ( I know neither smith nor Loy played) then Loy & Smith might be a better option with Sutton as the impact sub as BB said.

On the plus side , at least we appear to have some viable options now.

Could not disagree CG. Yesterday we reverted to high balls to Sutton. No offence but he cannot direct a header - it just bounces off his head and can end up anywhere. There is no pace up front. Sutton was a decent option with one up front and two wingers but with us now only having one winger and 2 up front the forward line is too static when Sutton is playing. I would like to see Loy and Smith up front and try playing the ball on the deck to them. Nothing to lose considering where we are.

Whilst I think its a good idea to try Loy and Smith together , I do think we should alternate our strikers to suit the opposition we have and the type of team we are putting out , I think Sutton would do well if the crosses were coming in from the byline and not a hopeful lob from the middle of the park , so if we can get a coule of fullbacks getting to the byline and whipping crosses in I can see him scoring regularly , thought McGinn looked classy yesterday and made a difference ( I wasn,t excited by him signing , but think I got it wrong ), Storie and Mallan are both good players , but seem inconsistent , hopefully Stephen McGinns presence will help them both develop . We ,are still in with a fighting chance , just need a wee win next week , followed by a cup win.

We need to play with someone with pace up front with Sutton behind him the same way Baird was upfront with Miller behind him. Baird caused our defence lots of problems chasing the ball down the flanks where we were just punting the ball up the middle to Sutton. Defence has also got to get the ball up front quicker instead of this passing across the back 4. Was impress with McGinn, Storie and Fjeide as the game went on. Excellent goal by Loy but did not think he was having a good game. Smith did ok but O'Brien scared me by not wanting to come off his line. Certainly not the tallest goalie I have seen but hopefully it was just nerves of his 1st home game and he will improved with game time. Player for player we looked good, as a team we were still shite :(

I'm doing a bit of reading on yesterday's Main Stand side linesman Michael Banks. Not having heard of him before I was expecting to find out that he was an up and coming guy, just trying to find his feet at this level, and could be excused.

Amazingly, he's an experienced official!

FFS, money for old rope, and I'm not just talking about the first goal. He was a throwback to the days when they'd pull someone out of the crowd to run the line if the ref got injured. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wKKRyTt2rg

The throw in was taken from the incorrect position but I'd say more than 50% of throw ins are taken from an equally incorrect distance including several of ours by Gary Irvine in particular. 

The defending that followed was just as poor as the decision to let the throw in stand. 

Inconsistency is an issue though, some throw ins are pulled back, some not. Fussy refs pulling free kicks back for being taken only 3 yards from the correct position. More consistency would be good in small decisions would be great.

They do have a tough job to do, they're not very good at it but someone has to step up and do it or we don't have a game. 

The difficult task was highlighted when most of the West Stand were embarrassingly singing "you don't know what your doing" following Suttons offside when running back into his own half, the officials got it spot on and awarded the free kick from the correct position, even though it was inside our half. 

This just sums up the game just now, certain rules like the offside rule are being changed too often and it seems nobody knows the rule now.

Edited by davidg

Trying not to change the topic of this thread, but refereeing,like any other job, has people who are good at doing it , and some who aren't.

The biggest problem is not the referees themselves, but the framework they have to work within, which hangs them out to dry. We're leaving referees with no option but to guess big calls that affect the outcome of games, like penalties, red cards, etc. With the amount of money swilling about in the game, we really ought to have something in place to help them get it right,  when it matters most.

On yesterday, to reiterate, that official had 'mare throughout the game, it's not only the throw in that was the issue.

6 hours ago, renfrew said:

We need to play with someone with pace up front with Sutton behind him the same way Baird was upfront with Miller behind him. Baird caused our defence lots of problems chasing the ball down the flanks where we were just punting the ball up the middle to Sutton. Defence has also got to get the ball up front quicker instead of this passing across the back 4. Was impress with McGinn, Storie and Fjeide as the game went on. Excellent goal by Loy but did not think he was having a good game. Smith did ok but O'Brien scared me by not wanting to come off his line. Certainly not the tallest goalie I have seen but hopefully it was just nerves of his 1st home game and he will improved with game time. Player for player we looked good, as a team we were still shite :(

The Sam Parkin option.  Yes possibly. Sutton hardly won a ball all day.

21 hours ago, The Shull said:

At least you are kindly.

SACK JACK, GO GET GUS  good thread title  :D

I strongly suspect that you are an alias of Shull and demand that you post your avatar so that we can check you're not that dreadful, tight fisted, taxi driving, tread starting, sinner.:P

Edited by insaintee

When he left his box there, I went "Oh my Cod"

Not much of a goalkipper is he. He doesn't command his box with any sense of porpoise. Maybe we should farm him out to Pollok for more experience. Once we lost the first goal, they battered him with crosses as he looked a bit suspect. I hope eel only get better with a bit of time.

Attended Saturdays game with , on reflection, an entirely unfounded optimism. I should have known better ! Even after the first 10 minutes or so, it was apparent that Falkirk had better players and more determination. Despite changing about half the team theres still no improvement and it seems last weeks success is a one off. If some team is mad enough to buy Mallan, I suggest any offer is accepted as I fail to see anything in this player. Sutton also is completely out his depth and ought to be released. The goalie, after impressing last week, looked very nervous. Hardly surprising right enough with that defence in front of him.

So yet another £20 squandered although confirmation, if that were needed, of our soon to be status as third tier nonentities. Only Ayr could even be considered as a target for catching now, unless Dumbarton withdraw from the league. There is of course the fall -back position I mentioned recently whereby only games against Ayr and Dumbarton count, in order to try and dupe the fans we are still in with a shout.

Lets see what the last 2 days of the transfer window bring us in terms of recruits, and whether those in charge have already bitten the bullet and thrown the towel into the ring. I certainly have.

In my honest and humble opinion, we look un-coached. It looks like 11 players who think they can play a bit just knocking the ball about to each other (and very often to the opposition).

That coupled with the fact that there are no leaders on the pitch does not help.

In my honest and humble opinion, we look un-coached. It looks like 11 players who think they can play a bit just knocking the ball about to each other (and very often to the opposition).
That coupled with the fact that there are no leaders on the pitch does not help.

Yeah this has been the issue since JR took over. There's no identifiable pattern of play or system. The players don't look motivated either. At half time on Saturday they needed a rollicking and to come out all guns blazing as our season was on the line and fly into Falkirk.

Instead they came out and went through the motions and within 20 minutes we were 2 down and the game was over.

The team basically looks poorly coached and poorly motivated most of the time. It's no wonder we are where we are.

18 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yeah this has been the issue since JR took over. There's no identifiable pattern of play or system. The players don't look motivated either. At half time on Saturday they needed a rollicking and to come out all guns blazing as our season was on the line and fly into Falkirk.

Instead they came out and went through the motions and within 20 minutes we were 2 down and the game was over.

The team basically looks poorly coached and poorly motivated most of the time. It's no wonder we are where we are.

I would wager that the players are coached up the wahoo. It's more about confidence or the complete lack of it. I got carried away with the signings and was in my seat way too early on Saturday and watched Falkirk warm up. They didn't have a care in the world. Miller, Sibbald, Baird et al all having a ĺaugh. They looked gallus and confident. It's a shrink we need not another coach. 

I would wager that the players are coached up the wahoo. It's more about confidence or the complete lack of it. I got carried away with the signings and was in my seat way too early on Saturday and watched Falkirk warm up. They didn't have a care in the world. Miller, Sibbald, Baird et al all having a ĺaugh. They looked gallus and confident. It's a shrink we need not another coach. 

The best coaches know how to inspire confidence in their teams.