The Run In - Championship 2016/2017

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I wonder if it would be worth offering a bonus to stay up surely it would be worth it in the long run .

If that was the case it would be DISGUSTING !!! People should be asking for their subscription back. To think they would change suddenly for cash is a ridiculous suggestion. Think where that money would be coming from ........

13 hours ago, Sandy said:

It's unbelievable that people on here are thinking we can suddenly have loads of wins and loads of draws coming up .....ON WHAT BASIS ??? We have won TWO games all season and we are now at the back end. We have almost NO league games for a month and Ayr have the chance of stretching their lead before we meet them again. Then we have a month in March of really tough games and also a backlog will be building. Raith have FOUR league games before we meet Ayr. These teams will be out of sight and even if we did win say 17 points more that will still not be enough. That puts us on 31 but Raith and Dumbarton are only SIX away from that now !!! And Ayr are just TEN away. Are you saying Ayr can't win 10 points or that Raith and Dumbarton cannot win 6 more points ??? Don't be ridiculous. People on here are in denial. We won't even win 17 points ....why would we ? We only managed 14 so far with two thirds of the league done. FACE IT !!!

I'm afraid you are spot on. We are already down without any shadow of a doubt. What an embarrassment.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I'm afraid you are spot on. We are already down without any shadow of a doubt. What an embarrassment.

That's a bit of a silly statement in my opinion.

We are hot favourites to go down, for sure, no argument there, but if you can spin this any way you like.

If we take for granted that we absolutely must beat Ayr in the two games in which we play them, then that would mean we only need to take 2 points more than they do over the other 11 games to leapfrog them in the table and at least take 9th. It's far from impossible given that we've played Ayr Utd 4 times already this season and they haven't beaten us yet.

In the last ten games Ayr have taken 7 points, winning 0 games. We've taken 10 points over the same period, winning twice.

Raith Rovers and Dumbarton I'd say are probably out of reach for us to be fair. I think we're playing for 9th and I certainly won't be giving up on that anytime soon.

3 hours ago, div said:

We are hot favourites to go down, for sure, no argument there, but if you can spin this any way you like.

If we take for granted that we absolutely must beat Ayr in the two games in which we play them, then that would mean we only need to take 2 points more than they do over the other 11 games to leapfrog them in the table and at least take 9th. It's far from impossible given that we've played Ayr Utd 4 times already this season and they haven't beaten us yet.

In the last ten games Ayr have taken 7 points, winning 0 games. We've taken 10 points over the same period, winning twice.

Raith Rovers and Dumbarton I'd say are probably out of reach for us to be fair. I think we're playing for 9th and I certainly won't be giving up on that anytime soon.

Yes we can live in hope but Ayr have also stregthened their team too. It will be a battle and even so there will be another battle afterwards with second bottom having to get through TWO play off games to survive. And for what ? I think there is more to addressed than the survival. We are a selling club and seem to depend on either loanees or youngsters. Anyone with prospects gets shipped out. Getting that balance is something that I don't think Ross is suitable for. And I have a feeling more besides is going on. Changing captain, leaving established players out and rock bottom esteem. I can imagine that right now some players are weighing up their options for the future and maybe one reason for lack of commitment is that you don't want to injure yourself and throw your future in jeopardy.These guys have bills to pay like anyone else. There is a lot going on contributing to all of this. 

4 hours ago, div said:

We've only won two games all season! Do you really think we will beat Ayr in both of those games? How many weeks in a row now have we talked about must win games, and how many of them have we won? Not a single one!

Even supposing we pick up a bit and win a few games, there is every chance the other teams round about us will do the same - it usually happens at the business end of the season.

We have been reduced to blind faith for a number of weeks now, and with Saturday's result I think even that has gone.

53 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yes we can live in hope but Ayr have also stregthened their team too. It will be a battle and even so there will be another battle afterwards with second bottom having to get through TWO play off games to survive. And for what ? I think there is more to addressed than the survival. We are a selling club and seem to depend on either loanees or youngsters. Anyone with prospects gets shipped out. Getting that balance is something that I don't think Ross is suitable for. And I have a feeling more besides is going on. Changing captain, leaving established players out and rock bottom esteem. I can imagine that right now some players are weighing up their options for the future and maybe one reason for lack of commitment is that you don't want to injure yourself and throw your future in jeopardy.These guys have bills to pay like anyone else. There is a lot going on contributing to all of this. 

Isn't that the case for every club in Scotland?

What makes us any worse, apart from wild theories?

29 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Isn't that the case for every club in Scotland?

What makes us any worse, apart from wild theories?

Yes sadly many clubs are like that apart from Celtic. They have just said tonight they made almost 70 million. There is a lot wrong with Scottish Football. I saw a programme recently about part time footballers. The standard is high as many choose to be part time as they have really good jobs. Some were earning around £70,000 so it would make no sense being a full time player. But they keep a high level of fitness and full time football isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This team has only won two games. We needed to have a second half of season like Rae did. We haven't won since December 10th. We couldn't beat ayr or morton with ten men and we lose far too often. The likelihood is that ayr fight out a win soon and leave us doomed. The team isn't good enough and that's a fact. I'd have thought gus was a better bet

Horrible,  boring but effective.  A bit like Rae last year. We became hard to play against and ended on 41 points. Rae took a massive 29 of those. Jack can claim it isn't his team etc and fair enough but honestly did you believe that when he took over we'd win only two games at the mid Feb point. It's unacceptable 

12 hours ago, norrie82 said:

This team has only won two games. We needed to have a second half of season like Rae did. We haven't won since December 10th. We couldn't beat ayr or morton with ten men and we lose far too often. The likelihood is that ayr fight out a win soon and leave us doomed. The team isn't good enough and that's a fact. I'd have thought gus was a better bet

Horrible,  boring but effective.  A bit like Rae last year. We became hard to play against and ended on 41 points. Rae took a massive 29 of those. Jack can claim it isn't his team etc and fair enough but honestly did you believe that when he took over we'd win only two games at the mid Feb point. It's unacceptable 

I agree 2 wins is not acceptable there no way you can dress it up

I don't think Gus would have done any better as shown many times this season our defence is poor

The 2 Dumbarton scored showed that the type of goals we concede

A bog standard set play and a loose ball in the box just very poor

Add in a few goalkeeping errors along the way and can't see where Gus would have changed things until the January window

17 hours ago, Sandy said:

Every club at our level is a selling club.

Every club at our level, in 2017, is offering short term contracts and relying on loan signings here and there to get quality they couldn't otherwise afford.

This is the financially bereft football landscape of Scottish Football that we live in.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

We've only won two games all season! Do you really think we will beat Ayr in both of those games? How many weeks in a row now have we talked about must win games, and how many of them have we won? Not a single one!

Even supposing we pick up a bit and win a few games, there is every chance the other teams round about us will do the same - it usually happens at the business end of the season.

We have been reduced to blind faith for a number of weeks now, and with Saturday's result I think even that has gone.

I think we CAN beat Ayr in both games, yes. We've already beaten them twice this season and should really have wont the most recent encounter too.

That said, it's kind of difficult to judge either way as if you look at the team that last played Ayr as recently as that game on December 17th you'll find that only 4 of the starting XI started at Dumbarton at the weekend (MacKenzie, Irvine, Magennis and Morgan).

This is a new team in pretty much every regard. They have played one match with every one of the new boys available. All we have is blind faith as nobody knows whether this team will be significantly better or worse than the group that went before it.

We could just give up now, or keep believing. I prefer the latter option.

I genuinely cannot understand the mentality of anyone giving up before it is necessary to do so.

Some fans had given up by December!!!

There is plenty of time to recover this.

Are people scared to hope for safety in case we end up getting relegated anyway and suffer greater pain as a result?

That would be a typically Scottish way to look at things but bloody hell what a depressing way to live.

I would rather go down fighting than simply lie down and give up.

Guest TPAFKATS
Yes sadly many clubs are like that apart from Celtic. They have just said tonight they made almost 70 million. There is a lot wrong with Scottish Football. I saw a programme recently about part time footballers. The standard is high as many choose to be part time as they have really good jobs. Some were earning around £70,000 so it would make no sense being a full time player. But they keep a high level of fitness and full time football isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Off topic but Celtic are the biggest 'selling club' in Scotland. Their whole business model is based on them signing players with the potential to sell on to the EPL.

Ok the bookies look at stats Our points per game is 0.6..... Ayrs is  0.91..... So with 13 games to go Ayr should amass 11 points, meaning that we need a minimum of 18 points in our last 13 games which is  1.38 per game which means we have to improve by 230% to have any chance of staying up............

Its pretty unlikely to say the least............ that's why the cup games have to be used to get a system and the players.......... the Scottish Cup is far more important as we could get big bucks if we can progress, the diddy cup is an exercise to find a settled team.

We lose at Ayr its over, we draw is all but. We have only won games in one month, meaning, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov. Jan , Feb we haven't won a league game........

IF we go down, then the planning better have already started. GS can dismiss it all he likes, but the form guide says we are down and by a least 11 points. We might not even hit 20 points this season..... Oh and Jack Ross has a lower win ratio than IM , GT and TC

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I genuinely cannot understand the mentality of anyone giving up before it is necessary to do so.

Are people scared to hope for safety in case we end up getting relegated anyway and suffer greater pain as a result?

That would be a typically Scottish way to look at things but bloody hell what a depressing way to live.

So, with your vast wealth of football knowledge, tell us where we will get the necessary points between now and the season end? This will be amusing. :lol: It's easy to put out the clichés but harder to feel the pain the hard-core feel every week. Slowly tearing away at that hope bit by bit. Aye, you keep posting airy fairy posts, that'll do as much good as the harm posting what people see as very likely will.

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, with your vast wealth of football knowledge, tell us where we will get the necessary points between now and the season end? This will be amusing. :lol: It's easy to put out the clichés but harder to feel the pain the hard-core feel every week. Slowly tearing away at that hope bit by bit. Aye, you keep posting airy fairy posts, that'll do as much good as the harm posting what people see as very likely will.

When you start posting in a reasonable manner I will consider responding.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes.

Nobody knows exactly how many points we will end the season with. The half full brigade will grasp any straw we can to persuade ourselves we will suvive. The half empty crew have us down already and have chucked it.

We will just need to wait and see how it pans out :D

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The last line - can someone tell the team this, I'm not sure they get it.

Edit: If someone can show me where they've displayed any battling qualities in the league so far, please let me know in case I have missed it. If the team contained a DVZ, a Shuggie, a Kirk Broadfoot or a Billy Abercromby - I know I'd have at least seen them put up a fight, even if higher skill levels of other teams saw the St Mirren side they were in be in the same position as the current St Mirren side. Maybe the new signings will provide some fight, but frankly, they probably needed to find us on a map, and they have been somewhat chucked into short-term deals at a struggling club. Christ, even Jens Paeslack had a game where he was a warrior playing on with a fractured leg. (Adopts Delia Smith slurred speech directed at current squad...where are you? Let's be having you...)

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, div said:

Every club at our level is a selling club.

Every club at our level, in 2017, is offering short term contracts and relying on loan signings here and there to get quality they couldn't otherwise afford.

This is the financially bereft football landscape of Scottish Football that we live in.

That's why our January form is worrying, the days when you could build a team incrementally over a couple of seasons are gone. One way or another it's gonna be all change again at the summer and whoever is in charge will have to put a team together capable of getting good results from week 1 - is JR the man to do that?

3 hours ago, div said:

I think we CAN beat Ayr in both games, yes. We've already beaten them twice this season and should really have wont the most recent encounter too.

That said, it's kind of difficult to judge either way as if you look at the team that last played Ayr as recently as that game on December 17th you'll find that only 4 of the starting XI started at Dumbarton at the weekend (MacKenzie, Irvine, Magennis and Morgan).

This is a new team in pretty much every regard. They have played one match with every one of the new boys available. All we have is blind faith as nobody knows whether this team will be significantly better or worse than the group that went before it.

We could just give up now, or keep believing. I prefer the latter option.

My interpretation of the sentences in red is that the turnover in players which was being celebrated a fortnight ago is now being used as an excuse for the continued mediocre form under JR.

I agree with the view that we shouldn't concede anything before the upcoming Ayr game, but not even victory there will guarantee anything. Interestingly we've got back to back games against Ayr and Dumbarton at the start of April reminiscent of the situation Gary Teale faced a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully it'll turn out differently for the club.

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

That's why our January form is worrying, the days when you could build a team incrementally over a couple of seasons are gone. One way or another it's gonna be all change again at the summer and whoever is in charge will have to put a team together capable of getting good results from week 1 - is JR the man to do that?

My interpretation of the sentences in red is that the turnover in players which was being celebrated a fortnight ago is now being used as an excuse for the continued mediocre form under JR.

I agree with the view that we shouldn't concede anything before the upcoming Ayr game, but not even victory there will guarantee anything. Interestingly we've got back to back games against Ayr and Dumbarton at the start of April reminiscent of the situation Gary Teale faced a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully it'll turn out differently for the club.

Indeed it is.

I would have thought it was obvious that we do not have time for the settling in period/gelling and the manager would have made every player aware the fightback started last week.

Edited by faraway saint

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Not making any excuses at all. I thought we played ok at the weekend for what it's worth.

What I'm saying is we've had the whole collective new squad available for one game. Even in that game we were without Mallan and Loy who would arguably have started.

One game at a time and all that, but I'm definitely far from giving up.

1 minute ago, div said:

Not making any excuses at all. I thought we played ok at the weekend for what it's worth.

What I'm saying is we've had the whole collective new squad available for one game. Even in that game we were without Mallan and Loy who would arguably have started.

One game at a time and all that, but I'm definitely far from giving up.

OK so we had two players missing but Dumbarton could only field 5 substitutes - a good manager's got to be able to improvise. In itself Saturday's result isn't a disaster but it wasn't the improvement we needed to close the gap.