The Run In - Championship 2016/2017

4 hours ago, div said:

One game at a time and all that, but I'm definitely far from giving up.

It's a cliche, but this really does sum up our current situation. There's an awful lot of talk going on along the lines of...'If Ayr beat Dumbarton and we beat Ayr, and if Dundee United can beat Dumbarton and you take away the number you first thought of, then yer' auntie would definitely have baws' and if Dunfermline could beat Hibs then we'd be two points behind by April 3rd....'

My head hurts. Too many ifs buts and maybes. Try to predict it all you like, who would have predicted Dumbarton to beat Dundee United a few weeks ago, or for Ayr to get anything at Easter Road? Way, way too many 'if' situations being worked out. All we can do is to try and win the next game, never mind anything else, or anyone's auntie growing a pair.

Edited by pozbaird

We have no form.  The mini revival and good play of December is long gone. The lads re new will they gel?  Hopefully.  However the problem is that we have two wins all season.  I understand the manager needs time and has decided to twist. I do not believe tho that since he came in he should only have two wins. It's not good enough and he will acknowledge this. I really hope we pull this off.  If we do it will be the catalyst to much better things. If we don't I do worry about us and the from talking to mates who supported rangers in lower leagues they say league one is horrible.  one described the championship as la ligaments in comparison.  scary times 

Edited by norrie82

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, St.Ricky said:

The league fixtures for the run in are shown below. 

For what it is worth (not a lot), I feel we can get 21 - 25 points.

6 Wins, 7 Draws, 2 Losses

Self evident that key games will be V Dumbarton and Ayr United.

28-Jan-2017 Falkirk Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Lost, zero points)
04-Feb-2017 Dumbarton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Draw, 1 point)
18-Feb-2017 Dundee United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Game postponed)
25-Feb-2017 Ayr United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Won, 3 points)
01-Mar-2017 Hibernian Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 7:45pm - 1 pt
04-Mar-2017 Raith Rovers Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
11-Mar-2017 Dunfermline Athletic Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
18-Mar-2017 Queen of the South Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt
25-Mar-2017 Morton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
01-Apr-2017 Ayr United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
08-Apr-2017 Dumbarton Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
15-Apr-2017 Falkirk Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
22-Apr-2017 Dundee United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt 
29-Apr-2017 Raith Rovers Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pt
06-May-2017 Hibernian Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt

Well, Ricky is getting back on track with is brave predictions from some weeks ago.

We now have 4 points from the 3 games, he had predicted 7.

My predictions are lost in the sin bin but I think I've called them all correct so far. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, spoogy1 said:

Don't like predicting how the rest of the season points but looking at that list off fixtures starting with hibs n finishing with hibs I see a possible 21 points that's only if the team are up for it n up for the battle 

I don't think anyone who has seen the team over the last 4 games can fault the effort. 

Yes, we are far from perfect. There has been sustained lulls during the three games preceding yesterday but in all of these games, there's been a fire there. The heads haven't dropped in the face of adversity. I have seen enough in the past month to conclude that there's a fire in the belly that has swept in with the new guys. 

In Eckersley and Davis we have two guys who are showing they are exceptionally disciplined, organised and do nothing mental or risky and our defence has benefitted greatly from that. These two guys have been every bit as influential to the side as the joy to behold that is Stephen McGinn. 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think anyone who has seen the team over the last 4 games can fault the effort. 

Yes, we are far from perfect. There has been sustained lulls during the three games preceding yesterday but in all of these games, there's been a fire there. The heads haven't dropped in the face of adversity. I have seen enough in the past month to conclude that there's a fire in the belly that has swept in with the new guys. 

In Eckersley and Davis we have two guys who are showing they are exceptionally disciplined, organised and do nothing mental or risky and our defence has benefitted greatly from that. These two guys have been every bit as influential to the side as the joy to behold that is Stephen McGinn. 

I'm not faulting the effort or desire off the team but as everyone knows fatigue kicks in near the end off the season. And we have 10 days with 4 games so tiredness will be a battle in itself with the pkayers , but they are facing a uphill task that we the fans should be encouraging them but we have the usual boo boys when things don't go our way, I ain't having a dig at them but it only sames that the team prefer to play away with our support being in full voice  

If you are in a pickle at work and you want to get out the mess you don't look ahead. You deal and concentrate with the immediate problem. In other words one game at a time needs full concentration. Looking further ahead just puts further pressure on you which does not help the step by step process of getting out the pickle:) 

• 2 weeks later...

28-Jan-2017 Falkirk Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Lost 0 points)
04-Feb-2017 Dumbarton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Draw, 1 point)
18-Feb-2017 Dundee United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Won, 3 points) :thumbs2
25-Feb-2017 Ayr United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Won 3 points):thumbs2
01-Mar-2017 Hibernian Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 7:45pm - 1 pt (Won 3 points):thumbs2
04-Mar-2017 Raith Rovers Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (lost, 0 points)
11-Mar-2017 Dunfermline Athletic Home   Ladbrokes Championship

Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Draw, 1 point)

18-Mar-2017 Queen of the South Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt (Won, 3 points):thumbs2

14points from the last 8 league games.

Much better and seriously puts pressure on the teams, especially Ayr, above us.

Ricky predicted 13, pretty damn reasonable to be honest, albeit in a roundabout way.

7 games to go.

UPDATED 19/3/17

Edited by faraway saint

Is our recent revival going to be enough?

Agree games are now running out. We're capable of winning on Wednesday against Utd if we're at our best. We need to be at our best more often from here on in. If we are, we'll survive.

We're gaining on Ayr, slowly, but more wins needed, quickly.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Soctty said:

Agree games are now running out. We're capable of winning on Wednesday against Utd if we're at our best. We need to be at our best more often from here on in. If we are, we'll survive.

We're gaining on Ayr, slowly, but more wins needed, quickly.

Will last night suffice for that? :wink:

Will last night suffice for that? :wink:

It's a start. The team spirit was exceptional, and with Smith, Morgan and Mallan, we'll always trouble teams. McGinn leading the way as usual too. Davis injury is a huge blow though.

Win on Saturday now - things will look brighter again if we do.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, faraway saint said:

28-Jan-2017 Falkirk Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Lost 0 points)
18-Feb-2017 Dundee United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (Won, 3 points)
25-Feb-2017 Ayr United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Won 3 points)
01-Mar-2017 Hibernian Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 7:45pm - 1 pt (Won 3 points)
04-Mar-2017 Raith Rovers Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt (lost, 0 points)
11-Mar-2017 Dunfermline Athletic Home   Ladbrokes Championship

Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts (Draw, 1 point)

18-Mar-2017 Queen of the South Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt

11points from the last 7 league games.

Much better and seriously puts pressure on the teams, especially Ayr, above us.

Ricky predicted 13, pretty damn reasonable to be honest.

8 games to go.

UPDATED 16/3/17

Go Ricky. :clapping

Edited by faraway saint

28-Jan-2017 Falkirk Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
04-Feb-2017 Dumbarton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
18-Feb-2017 Dundee United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
25-Feb-2017 Ayr United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
01-Mar-2017 Hibernian Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 7:45pm - 1 pt
04-Mar-2017 Raith Rovers Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
11-Mar-2017 Dunfermline Athletic Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts

Predicted 13, we're on 11.. and I'd be dissapointed if we lost at QoS.. think a point is a fair prediction.

At the risk of getting carried away (again):

Not only is avoiding immediate relegation almost back in our own hands (and likely to be soon - I'd forgotten Ayr's pesky game in hand) - if we can get a cheeky win at QoS and United get back to winning ways against Raith on Saturday - the latter certainly being doable...

then, by Saturday night, outright survival could be back in our own hands (again).

2 hours ago, southsidebud said:

At the risk of getting carried away (again):

Not only is avoiding immediate relegation almost back in our own hands (and likely to be soon - I'd forgotten Ayr's pesky game in hand) - if we can get a cheeky win at QoS and United get back to winning ways against Raith on Saturday - the latter certainly being doable...

then, by Saturday night, outright survival could be back in our own hands (again).

Ayr's game in hand is at Tannadice I think. Certainly against Utd next midweek. Tough game, especially for a team in freefall...

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Ayr's game in hand is at Tannadice I think. Certainly against Utd next midweek. Tough game, especially for a team in freefall...

Yes 28th March at Tannadice plus  they will have 3 games in 10 days, lets see how they cope ......

Also would help us in Cup Final if Utd fighting for 2nd

Someone said a few weeks ago that our recent run of form will prove futile if we run out of games. After Ayr's win yesterday, and Dundee Utd's collapse in form, I'm slightly concerned that may prove to be the case. We're going into a side show of a cup final at a time when Ayr could add six points to their tally before we even play another Championship match. Squeaky bum time ?

13 minutes ago, FS said:

Someone said a few weeks ago that our recent run of form will prove futile if we run out of games. After Ayr's win yesterday, and Dundee Utd's collapse in form, I'm slightly concerned that may prove to be the case. We're going into a side show of a cup final at a time when Ayr could add six points to their tally before we even play another Championship match. Squeaky bum time ?

No panicking yet. All relegation rivals have to play one another so dropped points to be had in many places. 

If our last 7 games of the season yields the same as our previous 7, 14 points, we will stay up. 

Certainly the three home games are must wins, also Hibs getting to the SC final and having the league tied up before the last day of the season are two scenarios we should really be willing on to give us as much chance at Easter Road as possible. 

1 hour ago, FS said:

OR. Ayr could lose both games and we could be facing them 1 point behind with a game in hand. All ifs and buts. What is sure is we'll have a full week to rest and train before facing Ayr who have 3 games in 8 days. It might just be the platform we need.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

OR. Ayr could lose both games and we could be facing them 1 point behind with a game in hand. All ifs and buts. What is sure is we'll have a full week to rest and train before facing Ayr who have 3 games in 8 days. It might just be the platform we need.

Exactly, far too many possibilities.

We have 4 games in 14 days, all sorts of potential issues could arise from that sort of run.