The Run In - Championship 2016/2017

I take it us already having four loan players meant going down the emergency loan route was never an option?

I'm not sure if this is this seasons "isn't he related to the former celtic chairman" style question or not but I'll answer anyway.

Yes we have used all our loan options.

If that gets a woosh.......well played.

I'm not sure if he was the guy that was training with us or not but there was a youngster from Stranraer training with us.

I'm not sure if this is this seasons "isn't he related to the former celtic chairman" style question or not but I'll answer anyway.

Yes we have used all our loan options.

If that gets a woosh.......well played.

I'm not sure if he was the guy that was training with us or not but there was a youngster from Stranraer training with us.

Don't worry it wasn't a whoosh, I wasn't sure if emergency loans were separate from ordinary ones.

18 minutes ago, Hambud said:

The word emergency is the thing that is causing confusion. It should just be called a loan.

It's to get round the transfer window rules. I just don't get the idea that you can replace players being punished from outwith the club, especially outfield players.

Edited by stlucifer

Yep - was going to do some checking on our dog fight rivals' run in fixtures. I shouldn't have bothered because - as usual - loads of others have already done the hard lifting. Thanks all!

For my tuppence worth, I'm going to say that much has been made of our four aways at the top four run - and while its no doubt true that its harder than anyone else's on paper - its not by that much. For all us strugglers, each game is hard and in some respects who and where is not so important; we are all capable of losing any game.

The difference for me is that we are the more likely to win any given game as opposed to the other two (at least in terms of recent big league results)

So my take is - IF (big IF) we win our next two games and Dumbarton so no better than draw today (with Morton scoring no more than a drawing next week) - then we will be 8th. If that happens, I believe we will stay there irrespective of the slightly more difficult run in. (Unless a penultimate league fixture skelping of Raith allows us to sneak 7th). :D

5 hours ago, Hambud said:

The word emergency is the thing that is causing confusion. It should just be called a loan.

Aye, the whole thing is ridiculous. Folk were having a go at Hibs earlier in the season for doing it but it's not their fault, they were playing by the rules.

I'd wondered if, with these being different loans, we could sign an "emergency" loan and it wouldn't matter how many loan guys we already had. Would have been handy if we could have signed some defensive cover - and I can already see certain posters getting ready to moan if the guys Raith and Dumbarton signed score goals that send us down.

15 hours ago, Drew said:

Desperate throw of the dice. What is this lad, 18? Played with Stranraer. Nah, nothing to see here, folks.

I don't think clubs should be allowed to get emergency loans when some of the positions they are covering for is players who have got themselves suspended... what's the point of a disciplinary system if you can get an emergency loan to cover for shortages created by suspensions? And in the case of Dumbarton the club chose to go with a small squad this season and have spent most of 2017 only listing 3 or 4 subs... obviously choosing (which is their right) not to spend a chunk of their budget on benchwarmers.

Aye, the whole thing is ridiculous. Folk were having a go at Hibs earlier in the season for doing it but it's not their fault, they were playing by the rules.
I'd wondered if, with these being different loans, we could sign an "emergency" loan and it wouldn't matter how many loan guys we already had. Would have been handy if we could have signed some defensive cover - and I can already see certain posters getting ready to moan if the guys Raith and Dumbarton signed score goals that send us down.

The guy that scored for Dumbarton today taking them above Raith is on loan to them from Raith. Raith deserve to go down for that and the goalkeeping fiasco.

10 hours ago, Hambud said:

The guy that scored for Dumbarton today taking them above Raith is on loan to them from Raith. Raith deserve to go down for that and the goalkeeping fiasco.

Aye, that was all very weird - Raith fans have been saying as much. Seemingly it might have been part of the deal that got Raith Stevenson, which makes it even more ridiculous.

However, they do also have Hardie on loan...

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, St.Ricky said:

The league fixtures for the run in are shown below. 

For what it is worth (not a lot), I feel we can get 21 - 25 points.

6 Wins, 7 Draws, 2 Losses

Self evident that key games will be V Dumbarton and Ayr United.

28-Jan-2017 Falkirk Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt - 1
04-Feb-2017 Dumbarton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts - 1
18-Feb-2017 Dundee United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt - 3
25-Feb-2017 Ayr United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts - 3
01-Mar-2017 Hibernian Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 7:45pm - 1 pt - 3
04-Mar-2017 Raith Rovers Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt - 0
11-Mar-2017 Dunfermline Athletic Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts - 1
18-Mar-2017 Queen of the South Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt - 3
25-Mar-2017 Morton Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
01-Apr-2017 Ayr United Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts - 3
08-Apr-2017 Dumbarton Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pts
15-Apr-2017 Falkirk Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt
22-Apr-2017 Dundee United Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 0 pt 
29-Apr-2017 Raith Rovers Home   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 3 pt
06-May-2017 Hibernian Away   Ladbrokes Championship Kick-off: 3:00pm - 1 pt

2 points ahead of where you predicted B)

• 3 weeks later...

If you consider Dumbarton as safe the relegation / playoff battle involves four teams - the three strugglers and, ironically, the champions

A lot will depend on how Hibs perform now that they have nothing to play for.

Here's what I think (hope)...

Wednesday 26 April

• Hibs still smarting from the latest Lennon rocket respond on Wednesday and dump Raith
  • Positions relative to Saints - Raith 8th +1pt - Ayr 10th - 2pts

Saturday 29 April

• Saints overcome stubborn Raith resistance - Ayr battling hard at home hold Hibs to a draw
  • Positions relative to Saints - Raith 9th - 2pts - Ayr 10th - 4pts
  • Saints guaranteed 9th minimum

Saturday 6 May

• Ayr can still overtake Raith with a win so will be totally up for it - Raith to try and hold what they have and as a result fall short - Ayr to beat them and survive to fight in the playoffs
  • Even though we therefore need nothing from Hibs - both sides will play out an end of season 0-0 draw, which will cover us in the event of a Raith win due to superior goal difference.
  • Positions relative to Saints - Ayr 9th - 2pts - Raith 10th - 3pts

#wishfulthinkingwithfingerscrossed 

50 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Hibs are fielding a team of fringe players and u20s tonight. And their manager is banned to the stand. Great opportunity for a result for Raith.

Have to agree Raith will be well up for the three points tonight with Hibs playing fringe and U20 players just as i thought they would  Then next Saturday Hibs are back to full strength for lifting the title and having a party. Jeez I'm getting a sinking feeling. As long as we keep ahead of Ayr I firmly believe we will over come the play offs that's as good as it's going to get I'm afraid. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

On 25/04/2017 at 8:58 AM, southsidebud said:

If you consider Dumbarton as safe the relegation / playoff battle involves four teams - the three strugglers and, ironically, the champions

Very confused as to why anyone would think Dumbarton were safe.

They are playing two teams in the top three in the table who are both desperate to win both their last two games.

If we win on Saturday and they lose then we go above them.

I'd say they are very much still in the soup, for the play off position anyway.

Very confused as to why anyone would think Dumbarton were safe.
They are playing two teams in the top three in the table who are both desperate to win both their last two games.
If we win on Saturday and they lose then we go above them.
I'd say they are very much still in the soup, for the play off position anyway.

Hopefully you are right and I will be very happy if they end up in the mix.

I just think they won't ; they are 3 points ahead with only 6 to play for. They do have a hard run in but we have Hibs away in ours. They have also got a frustrating habit of scoring unexpected points in hard games.

For those reasons I think they are likely to dodge the playoffs. Like I say though - a total collapse bringing them into the equation would be welcome.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, southsidebud said:

Hopefully you are right and I will be very happy if they end up in the mix.

I just think they won't ; they are 3 points ahead with only 6 to play for. They do have a hard run in but we have Hibs away in ours. They have also got a frustrating habit of scoring unexpected points in hard games.

For those reasons I think they are likely to dodge the playoffs. Like I say though - a total collapse bringing them into the equation would be welcome.

It would be very difficult for Dumbarton to finish bottom.  Ayr win both their games they'd go above them but would mean Raith could only get a max of 3 which in turn would mean we could only get a max of 3 points. If our goal difference is better we'd be 9th they'd be 10th (I could be wrong but think that's only way it can happen) 

Play-off is still a real option for them though.  If we win and they lose then yeah we go above them.  Then it'll come down to if either Ayr or Raith win last game (Depending on Ayr Vs Hibs result)

1 point from either of their games would be enough to secure 10th place safety and likely play-off safety as well. 

I have given up trying to second guess this....

QOS played us off back of disastrous run won 3-0, Raith beat us 2-0 off back of shit run, we somehow went from losing every week to drawing and winning, every week. I think Ayr are gone they pick up points, Sons beating QOS last week and of course us losing last kick goal........

Who knows, i do know that as long as we put in a great performance Sat we will prevail, anything short Raith will pounce....

I really thought Raith were to go on and beat Hibs last night, looking at the shot count and the fact they hit inside of post at 1-1...

I really hope with us cemented in Championship next season, its just as exciting, proofing again that most pointless boring league in Scotland is the SPFL one... 

Anyone thought of this scenario... Ayr beat Hibs move to 36, we draw and Sons lose

With 1 game to go  Sons 38, Raith 37, Us, 36, Ayr 36................... To my paranoid friends on here , we are losing early to Hibs , Raith and Ayr could play out a draw and avoid bottom................... wooo wooo scary

We want a win on Saturday obviously for us but I'd like to see Ayr beat Hibs. That would give them something to play for against Raith on the last game. This would mean we definitely couldn't finish bottom and would only need a draw against Hibs. Also, assuming we win on Saturday Dumbarton could easily lose their next 2 games as they are playing the teams fighting for 2nd in the table. We must win on Saturday to make it more than probable that we'll escape the bottom 2.

2 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

We want a win on Saturday obviously for us but I'd like to see Ayr beat Hibs. That would give them something to play for against Raith on the last game. This would mean we definitely couldn't finish bottom and would only need a draw against Hibs. Also, assuming we win on Saturday Dumbarton could easily lose their next 2 games as they are playing the teams fighting for 2nd in the table. We must win on Saturday to make it more than probable that we'll escape the bottom 2.

Agree with the sentiment - but would rather Ayr draw with Hibs (assuming we beat Raith of course). This makes a 10th place finish impossible for us while at the same time leaving Ayr with the knowledge that beating Raith on the final day gets them safely into the playoffs (and correspondingly confirming us no worse than 8th).

• 2 weeks later...

That Was The Season That Was - for a long time it looked like it was going to be a car crash of a season but like the cavalry JR's new team's form arrived just in time.

I knew we were in trouble after the second league game against RR back in August with the Quinn recovery period starting to drag out and no competent back-up at DM. Should have gone into shitfest mode then and accepted this was not going to be our season. Crazy, stubborn persistance with tactics that weren't working by AR got him the boot and then we were left rudderless when Billy Davies did not jump at the chance GS offered him.

What can you say about JR - a difficult start with games against Hibs & Dundee Utd. then throwing away our 17 year unbeaten run against Morton with an extremely tepid performance. This was a watershed game and we should have been going into it with bottles and knifes but it seemed to set the tone for what was a pretty lacklustre Nov, Dec & Jan. JR getting a bit of a free ride IMO with some people absolving him of all blame as the poor results continued.

Despite being told at the AGM that we had replacements identified we went into the game against QotS on Jan 7 with no new faces - they'd done their business early and thumped us 3-0 pretty much ensuring their safety in the division that day while we took the rest of the month to complete ours altho' admittedly we had a lot more work to do.

Things did start to pick up as defeats turned into draws and then eventually victories and we began to bridge the chasm between us and safety. We finally started to play with a bit of style in the second half of the game against TNS. A couple of glorious cup defeats interspersed with great league form and some sparkling performances and eventually securing 7th place on the final day. I suppose the big question is whether we can continue this form into nest season, let's hope we can keep the bulk of the squad although I suspect "wee Stevie Mallon" has done enough to earn himself abumper move down south.

Although we finished on a high note overall the season has to be considered depressing as it was a fairly weak division with a mediocre Morton team making the play-offs and the p/t outfits Ayr/Dumbarton offering little more than organization and commitment.

Respect to St.Ricky who had the nerve to put his head above the parapet back in the middle of January when we were well adrift at the bottom!  :notworthy:happyclapper

EDIT - I'm the first one to like his opening post - just there. I don't believe it!

Image result for victor meldrew

Se7en months into the job and there's more love for JR than I've seen since Tom Hendrie at the end of the 99/00 season. Let's hope JR's honeymoon period continues for a while yet...............:wub:

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Se7en months into the job and there's more love for JR than I've seen since Tom Hendrie at the end of the 99/00 season. Let's hope JR's honeymoon period continues for a while yet...............:wub:

Hardly a honeymoon period as he was vilified by many from the outset. Me included. JR and the backroom team have had to work Sooooo hard to turn our season round and convince the support they were indeed what was good for the club.