SMiSA Update January 2017

Kendo

A safe standing area sounds like a great thing, but to spend a packet of everyones subscriptions, on one area only a few will use doesnt quite siit right with me. Better idea would be to add the conversion price of creating a safe standing seat to the ST price, perhaps over a couple of seasons?

then you cover the costs, plus get buy-in to actually put bums.... err.. near seats, if you see what I mean?

Wouldn't have a problem with that model at all.

Problem I guess would be putting up the capital to make it happen. Guess it could be borrowed and the subs pay it back much like the oft discussed 1877 club.

Fair comment though.

Just now, div said:

Wouldn't have a problem with that model at all. Problem I guess would be putting up the capital to make it happen. Guess it could be borrowed and the subs pay it back much like the oft discussed 1877 club.

Fair comment though.

Had read the average cost to convert to safe standing was £80 a seat. Would need definite confirmation on that sum, but split over two seasons, or paid in instalments? Neither seem prohibitive, and you would have definite numbers to ensure it was viable before contracts were signed.

Had read the average cost to convert to safe standing was £80 a seat. Would need definite confirmation on that sum, but split over two seasons, or paid in instalments? Neither seem prohibitive, and you would have definite numbers to ensure it was viable before contracts were signed.

Yeah, I've seen the £80. If you do a simple cost divided by capacity on the Celtic area you get approximately £170, but you'll have all sorts of fees in there as it's a larger area etc.

It needs a survey, but also needs the club engaging with the correct people to see what is or isn't required. If the club need assistance then SMISA are there to help.

I think Celtic paid £500k for around 3000 seats but not sure how the costs scale and I suppose every project is slightly different.

Either way it's definitely worth at least exploring but concede that yeah it probably is a stand alone project and not one for SMiSA money.

Why not SMISA money went on the disabled platform which no disrespect only a select few will use so why not a standing area in the west stand.. Surely the supporters /members money could be spent on the general support?

Well, it could certainly go to a vote. You don't know how many quarterly spends it would take up though, not to mention it's a good way from being priced and you then rule out the money going on anything else for a good while.

I wouldn't want to see it put to a vote unless the survey had been run, capacity decided, requirements were understood and it was fully priced.

Why W1? For our size of support the standing area should be above the exit for W3.. Should be simple enough to convert.

Safe standing can only be in corners (which we do not have) or the ends of stands or a complete stand otherwise the views are blocked for people sitting either side of the standing areas. W3 is not an option.

Safe standing can only be in corners (which we do not have) or the ends of stands or a complete stand otherwise the views are blocked for people sitting either side of the standing areas. W3 is not an option.

OK then why not take the back three rows out totally and make that standing. At the moment both home and away support benefit

4 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

OK then why not take the back three rows out totally and make that standing. At the moment both home and away support benefit

Because supporters who have held season tickets for these seats for many years might be a tad upset.

No point as that would not produce a block of singers/drummers - just a very long line of people standing. And it would severely piss off all those currently with season tickets sitting in these popular back 3 rows.

W7/W8 with no Away fans in the West Bank (they should not be there anyway) or move the family people to W7/W8 and make the whole stand safe standing.

You only have your seat for a season. Your thinking means there will be no redevelopment of the stadium. Each season you reapply for your seat it's not at seat for life if it ain't available then tough,

So you want to piss off 500 season ticket holders of your core support? Great public relations.

Just now, notabuddie said:

You only have your seat for a season. Your thinking means there will be no redevelopment of the stadium. Each season you reapply for your seat it's not at seat for life if it ain't available then tough,

Yeah great idea, throw three rows worth of your loyal season ticket supporters out their seat. That'll work. I sit near the back by choice if that choice was no longer available to me then yes it would be tough. Tough on the club because I wouldn't ever renew a season ticket ever again. What would be the point. I'd pick and choose my games.

2 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

So what happens if we become successful and have to redevelop the west stand..

What type of success do you envisage? We've never filled the place since it was built despite spending the largest majority of the time in the top league and winning a major trophy.

A season ticket is a season ticket simple logic states its a season commitment. It's in the name a season ticket

Do you honestly believe that season ticket holders are only making a commitment for one season? Think more market research is required.

I am a season ticket holder. My seat is in the second back row of the West Stand and almost everyone in this section is also a season ticket holder.

Please explain to me what benefits the club would achieve by kicking all of us out of these seats ? What positive outcome would it achieve ?

Stick your standing section up your arse.

Stick your singing section up your arse.

Stick your drummers far up your arse.

Stick notabuddie up his own arse.

Do you honestly believe that season ticket holders are only making a commitment for one season? Think more market research is required.

No they get the opportunity to renew their seat season after season but if the seat is not there then they have the option to choose another seat or not to renew

No they get the opportunity to renew their seat season after season but if the seat is not there then they have the option to choose another seat or not to renew

So core support not renewing season tickets is a good thing?

The example I am using is only the back three rows how many season ticket holders would that really affect... And you can also use the argument that if they are true core support they would renew or opt to use the standing area.

What happens if we do become successful and put a second tier on the west stand and for some strange reason the back three rows as they are now are removed so those core supporters will up sticks and leave...

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am a season ticket holder. My seat is in the second back row of the West Stand and almost everyone in this section is also a season ticket holder.

Please explain to me what benefits the club would achieve by kicking all of us out of these seats ? What positive outcome would it achieve ?

Stick your standing section up your arse.

Stick your singing section up your arse.

Stick your drummers far up your arse.

Stick notabuddie up his own arse.

:zipit

Any notion to use the back rows right across the stand is fairly ridiculous to be honest, the low pitch of the stand means they are the best seats in the West.

We can't use W6 and W7 because the club will want to keep those for potential segregation to house overspill from big away supports. I know that is a big bone of contention but it makes economic sense at times.

Can't really have noisy lads in the family stand singing naughty songs if that is going to be kept as a family friendly area.

So in my mind there is really only one option and that would be to convert W1, the least popular of all the blocks in the West, to be Safe Standing. Would still impact and piss of plenty of existing season ticket holders but the migration of fans from W4 and W3 to the new safe standing area would free up  arguably better seats to be re-assigned to.

Maybe the whole thing is just unworkable but I still think it's worth at least exploring, nothing to be lost by asking the question IMO.