Mallan to Barnsley???

st jock

My prediction is £100k plus a sell-on clause that will, in the long-run, amount to precisely hee-haw.

I would be extremely disappointed if the board only manage to negotiate 100k for Mallan. The ball is in out court at the moment, we would get more from a development fee at the end of his contract.

11 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I would be extremely disappointed if the board only manage to negotiate 100k for Mallan. The ball is in out court at the moment, we would get more from a development fee at the end of his contract.

Like we did with McGinn?

What fee level would you be pleased/not disappointed with, just out of interest?

17 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Which teams do you think would pay the development fee? Given none have offered more than £60k so far.

Like we did with McGinn?

What fee level would you be pleased/not disappointed with, just out of interest?

We don't need to sell right now though, do we?

What's the point in letting him go for £100k while under contract when the ball is in our court?

Why sell him now when at the very worst we would get £100k when his contract expires from a development fee?

What's the point in letting him go for £100k while under contract when the ball is in our court?
Why sell him now when at the very worst we would get £100k when his contract expires from a development fee?

How would we get £100k for him if no team wants to pay it?

How would we get £100k for him if no team wants to pay it?

I think you've answered your own question there tbh...

If no one wants to buy Mallan then he will go nowhere, if a team offer penny's for him he won't leave.

My original point was that I would be disappointed if he left on the cheap as the ball is in our court, there's no need to sell on the cheap.

I think you've answered your own question there tbh...

If no one wants to buy Mallan then he will go nowhere, if a team offer penny's for him he won't leave.

My original point was that I would be disappointed if he left on the cheap as the ball is in our court, there's no need to sell on the cheap.

So the teams that will pay no more than £60k now will pay more when he's out of contract?

Really?

8 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

But we're bottom of the Championship (with a team that has regularly featured Mallan this season) and facing the embarrassment of a second relegation in three seasons. We can't invest in the team without moving assets along.

I'd argue we've never needed to sell more.

9 hours ago, TopCat said:

In the same position that we were with McGinn. Player has no interest in renewing his deal and there's no club coming into pay the equivalent of his development fee for his services.

So we wait.

Given that our best academy talent has a habit of running down their contracts pretty quickly after they break into the first team and the fact that we don't seem able to attract big transfer fees for them do you think our academy is still the best way to go or are we better using our limited cash resources to run a smaller but better first team squad?

So the teams that will pay no more than £60k now will pay more when he's out of contract?

Really?

Have Barnsley submitted a bid for Mallan before? Not as far as I'm aware, pretty sure that was Dundee that had a bid of around 60k rejected....

Dundee won't pay anymore because they can't afford to pay more.

But we're bottom of the Championship (with a team that has regularly featured Mallan this season) and facing the embarrassment of a second relegation in three seasons. We can't invest in the team without moving assets along.
I'd argue we've never needed to sell more.

We're a selling club, absolutely. Will we get top dollar for our young talent with the mess we're in, absolutely not.

My original point was that I hope we don't sell him off cheap like we normally do.

1 minute ago, Stevie88 said:

Have Barnsley submitted a bid for Mallan before? Not as far as I'm aware, pretty sure that was Dundee that had a bid of around 60k rejected....

Dundee won't pay anymore because they can't afford to pay more.

Nobody has bid more than £60k. Barnsley have not bid anything yet. If and when they do, we'll see what they're prepared to offer. As it stands, no team has bid more than £60k.

Teams struggling in the second tier of Scottish football don't tend to attract big money bids.

Just now, Stevie88 said:

We're a selling club, absolutely. Will we get top dollar for our young talent with the mess we're in, absolutely not.

My original point was that I hope we don't sell him off cheap like we normally do.

What do you consider cheap? If we are bid £150k for him, I think we'll take it, because there is no way we'll get more than that as it stands, when Mallan's contract runs out. Not even close.

Nobody has bid more than £60k. Barnsley have not bid anything yet. If and when they do, we'll see what they're prepared to offer. As it stands, no team has bid more than £60k.

Teams struggling in the second tier of Scottish football don't tend to attract big money bids.

I never said anyone has bid more than 60k!! I said Dundee has bid 60k & they probably can't afford to pay anymore. You then said if no one is prepared to pay more than 60k now then why would they for his development fee... Barnsley haven't bid anything yet, which relates back to my original post when I said I hope we negotiate a decent fee....

I think you're maybe misunderstanding my point.

Just now, Stevie88 said:

I never said anyone has bid more than 60k!! I said Dundee has bid 60k & they probably can't afford to pay anymore. You then said if no one is prepared to pay more than 60k now then why would they for his development fee... Barnsley haven't bid anything yet, which relates back to my original post when I said I hope you negotiate a decent fee....

I think you're maybe misunderstanding my point.

I think you're misunderstanding your own point. You hope we don't sell him on the cheap.

Dundee received over £750k in the summer for Stewart and Hemmings. They can afford much more than £60k, but won't pay it.

If Mallan sees out his contract, what will we get for him then?