Mallan to Barnsley???

st jock

I think you're misunderstanding your own point. You hope we don't sell him on the cheap.

Dundee received over £750k in the summer for Stewart and Hemmings. They can afford much more than £60k, but won't pay it.

If Mallan sees out his contract, what will we get for him then?

I don't think I am....

How much can Dundee afford since you seem to know what they can & can't afford?

The other scenario is we go down, and Mallan's contract becomes largely irrelevant because we need to get shot of any/all of our higher wage earners. Bigger clubs are aware of our predicament, and pick the scraps off our carcass. Mallan goes for a nominal fee because we simply need to re-budget.

There's no chance we considered League One was even a vague possibility when Mallan was given that deal.

Ok... so how much debt do they have & what can do they have left to reinvest in the squad?

St. Mirren won nearly £1m from winning the cup, didn't see us splashing the cash and buying players for fees right left & centre.

We didn't make anywhere near that from winning the cup - where do you get this from?

You believe Dundee only 60 grand, but were only too willing to bid all of it for Mallan?

OK, let's have it your way. Clubs are falling over themselves to bid for Mallan. We'll be inundated with offers any time now...

Won't we?? ????

On 17/01/2017 at 11:33 AM, elvis said:

Will it be an undisclosed fee or can they not do that anymore under the fan ownership will they have to tell the fans now what the details are of any deals.

Without wanting to get into the ins and outs of the merits of fan ownership, there is absolutely no reason why that should make a difference on whether a fee is disclosed or not. 

There are certain things about the business that will still need to be confidential no matter whether it is Gordon Scott the fans or an Argentinian consortium that own the club. Not only that it may be the buying club that want the fee to be undisclosed. 

We didn't make anywhere near that from winning the cup - where do you get this from?

You believe Dundee only 60 grand, but were only too willing to bid all of it for Mallan?

OK, let's have it your way. Clubs are falling over themselves to bid for Mallan. We'll be inundated with offers any time now...

Won't we?? [emoji848]

I don't know know anything about Dundee's disposable income, you seem to know, you could answer that.

Please advise where I've ever said that clubs would be falling over themselves for Mallan?

I merely said that I hope we negotiate a good deal for the club and get over £100k... you seem to have an issue with this for some strange reason.

We may not get what I believe Mallan is worth but I'm glad that you're not negotiating the deal as he would probably leave on a free.

2 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I don't know know anything about Dundee's disposable income, you seem to know, you could answer that.

Please advise where I've ever said that clubs would be falling over themselves for Mallan?

I merely said that I hope we negotiate a good deal for the club and get over £100k... you seem to have an issue with this for some strange reason.

We may not get what I believe Mallan is worth but I'm glad that you're not negotiating the deal as he would probably leave on a free.

You said the ball is in our court, and at the very least we'd get £100k as a development fee when his contract is up.

Why is that the least we would get? Who would pay £100k then that won't pay it now? 

What do you consider cheap? If we are bid £150k for him, I think we'll take it, because there is no way we'll get more than that as it stands, when Mallan's contract runs out. Not even close.

Correct. Neither will he win us any competitions that would bring in that sort of money. If we get that fee and sell on clause grab it.

a can't decide much we should b demanding,is he better than McLean or mcginn?am not sure,but honestly believe he got potential and if played in better team he would benefit,but Barnsley??hopefully we demand £500grand at least,am sure Falkirk sold 2-3 players in that region and nowhere near mallan's ability,and another note,do we not need him to help keep us up,hope we haven't put white flag ip already

I joined the twitters a week or two ago.  Still not sure as to how to use the twitters or the exact point of the twitters but I just read this story by a bloke called Douglas McNeil.

Seems he is a journalist or something.  Not sure why tweets by Douglas McNeil are showing up on my twitters feed but hey ho.  

Anyway Douglas McNeil (apparently my twitters feed pal) tells me that Barnsley have spoken to young Stevie Mallan.  One would think that finances wont be a problem.

1 minute ago, andrew87 said:

Hope I'm wrong but I would be stunned if we get offered anything like 500k based on Mallan's performances this season. Has massively underperformed week in week out but seems to escape the criticism others get.

We won't get anything close. He's worth more than £100k but not £500k. £200k-£300k will likely see him move on.

9 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

Hope I'm wrong but I would be stunned if we get offered anything like 500k based on Mallan's performances this season. Has massively underperformed week in week out but seems to escape the criticism others get.

Thing is scouts aren't there watching him every week like we are, they'll watch him for a couple of games and then rely on highlights reels etc. Mallan will have an excellent highlight reel for a young guy he's scored some fantastic goals.

ETA - Not that I think they'll offer £500K but you never know, it's almost pocket change to a Championship team.

Edited by irvine_buddie

He undoubtedly has potential and has obviously shown enough in terms of free kicks, goal scoring, technique etc, to interest a Championship club. He's not big enough or strong enough to play central midfield in England, but they might try to develop him into a right sided midfielder and try to improve his crossing.

Even at £150-200-300k, it's a fairly low risk gamble for a club in the Championship. The fact that a club in England's second tier are interested him shows that they think he is decent enough and has the potential to develop into a player at that standard.

He's likely to be another player that we'll remember far more fondly once he's away, just like Kenny McLean.      

I still think we'd accept £150K, and, much as it sticks in my craw, I don't think that is unrealistic. Had he been sold as we took the drop from the top league, or towards the end of last season, we might have been looking at £350K or thereabouts, but our current position - and his more recent form - probably blows any chance of a fee approaching that out the water.