Billy O'Brien

div

Just now, TopCat said:

Welcome aboard etc.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how good a window we are having so far. Jack has got rid of a lot of duds and his signings seem decent enough on paper.

I had a sinking feeling he was going to stick with the two useless keepers we have till the end of the season. It's great news that he's decided that they aren't good enough and made a move.

I hope and expect that Billy will be our number 1 between now and May. Let's hope he's better than the last goalie we had on loan from an EPL team... Cornell :o

good to see your in a good mood TC :P

No it isn't. Jack said that Gallacher had a chance to cement himself as the club's first choice keeper after Langfield's horrible mistake against Dumbarton and if he took his chance, would be the club's number 1 going forward. We've played 11 games since then, 10 of them with Gallacher in goals and not only hasn't he established himself but he's proven (IMO) to be even worse!
It's absolutely the correct call to bring in a new keeper.

Granted he has not been outstanding but nor do I recall him have a majorly honking game recently. I am happy we have signed a keeper who seems to have plenty of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. To say he has been worse than Langfield would be an insult as he has to take responsibility for countless mistakes that have lead to goals this season.

I feel the money would have been better spent on a left back but hopefully we will get someone in soon to fill that gap

Granted he has not been outstanding but nor do I recall him have a majorly honking game recently. I am happy we have signed a keeper who seems to have plenty of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. To say he has been worse than Langfield would be an insult as he has to take responsibility for countless mistakes that have lead to goals this season.

I feel the money would have been better spent on a left back but hopefully we will get someone in soon to fill that gap

Left back will be signed in time for Saturday.

6 hours ago, Dave The Buddie said:

To say he has been worse than Langfield would be an insult as he has to take responsibility for countless mistakes that have lead to goals this season.

As does Gallacher. His inability to come for cross balls,  leave his line or deal with low balls across his six yard have cost us points. He also has a very irritating tendency to punch the ball when catching would be easier. As was evident against Morton. 

I'm not comfortable with either in goals and presumably neither is the gaffer. 

Edited by djchapsticks

He was hopeless for us, he played like a nervous boy. I think we lost every single game he played in from memory, and things only started getting better when Dilo came in.

Surprised he's went on to better things as I hadn't kept up with his career. Maybe he benefitted from the experience of getting beat every week [emoji28]

He's not really went on to better things. It's over 3 years since he left us and in that time he's played just 18 games in League One.

Currently warming the bench for Northampton.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

As does Gallacher. His inability to come for cross balls,  leave his line or deal with low balls across his six yard have cost us points. He also has a very irritating tendency to punch the ball when catching would be easier. As was evident against Morton. 

I'm not comfortable with either in goals and presumably neither is the gaffer. 

Actually think Gallacher has been pretty solid. One big mistake v Morton as you've alluded to, but other than that he's done alright.

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Actually think Gallacher has been pretty solid. One big mistake v Morton as you've alluded to, but other than that he's done alright.

Think he's a decent shot stopper but then if you aren't, you really ought not to be a goalie. Everything else in his game is severely lacking for my liking, though. 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think he's a decent shot stopper but then if you aren't, you really ought not to be a goalie. Everything else in his game is severely lacking for my liking, though. 

I'm not sure he's a great communicator with his backline either, there's often wee arguments going on between him and the defence!!

Just now, WeeBud said:

I'm not sure he's a great communicator with his backline either, there's often wee arguments going on between him and the defence!!

Agree with that. There seems to be a lot of shouting between him and the central defence during a game. Especially Gallagher either not coming off his line or coming out to the half-way line ( © Clangers School of Goalkeeping)

I think he's done just fine, one major error aside. Harsh criticism here in my opinion. Hope the new guy hits the ground running though. Onward and upwards.

Well I do not mean to be harsh. As a goalie he stops shots but I think his linking with his central defence can be suspect.

Well I do not mean to be harsh. As a goalie he stops shots but I think his linking with his central defence can be suspect.

I sit with the most fiercely critical ex keeper, and he thinks he's been fine. Jack Ross clearly disagrees, hence the new keeper.[emoji23]

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

As proven against Hibs when a mix-up between him and Baird cost us a goal. 

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I sit with the most fiercely critical ex keeper, and he thinks he's been fine. Jack Ross clearly disagrees, hence the new keeper.emoji23.png

I agree that the criticism has been a tad harsh.

Is Gallagher not injured just now?

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I was talking to a pro goalie today

He was talking about Gallagher and couldn't believe the change in him

How very weak he was at cross balls

He said when he was at Alloa he came and took crosses very confident but looked a nervous wreck with us

Was is he getting taught

Welcome aboard Billy. Another promising signing who looks like he really could improve our goalkeeping situation.

If we have any aspirations of staying in this league we need to start getting some clean sheets and giving us a chance of nicking a few 1-0 wins.

A young up and coming player from one of the biggest clubs in the land with a point to prove, what is not like.

St Mirren are starting to give me that feeling of hope again. I never learn. This club will be death of me.

I was talking to a pro goalie today
He was talking about Gallagher and couldn't believe the change in him
How very weak he was at cross balls
He said when he was at Alloa he came and took crosses very confident but looked a nervous wreck with us
Was is he getting taught

What's to be taught. How not to be sh1t3 after 3 months. He's a dud, along with Clangers