New signing Left Back Stelios Demetriou

Irvine is an over the hill dud who should be nowhere near the first team. I'm hoping he's next on the punt list.

His season was summed up the other week when we got hounded by QOTS in Paisley. He had a 5 yard head start on Jamie Hammil on the left flank and Jamie, who is no spring chicken himself, still beat him to the ball.

Just now, TopCat said:

Irvine is an over the hill dud who should be nowhere near the first team. I'm hoping he's next on the punt list.

His season was summed up the other week when we got hounded by QOTS in Paisley. He had a 5 yard head start on Jamie Hammil on the left flank and Jamie, who is no spring chicken himself, still beat him to the ball.

So now we've got rid of Shankland and replaced the goalie you've moved onto a new target.

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

Are you on the wind up or do you genuinely not understand the problem that playing as a left back would be for a right footed player?

No professional player should be single footed.

Anyone who is should be embarassed IMO.

It beggars belief that any player would allow this to happen.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Is this the lad in the team training pic that someone posted a week or so ago?

No one knew who the player was....  and was asking who he was.

... though thinking on it, the person in that pic looked black IIRC.

Was that lad not black?

ETA - Sorry, missed your final paragraph.

Edited by Drew

12 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

The worrying thing is, you genuinely believe this. :1eye

Most full backs can play adeptly on either side. They have the positional sense of a full back - changing sides, though not ideal, doesn't pose too much of a problem to most players. Certainly not something to go on a crusade over...

3 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Just like most of the team the experienced players mostly :zipit and Jack can see that,

It's one reason that getting a load of players in could help. Aside from getting better players in, getting players without the baggage of half a season of rapidly diminishing morale, coupled with half a season of fans on your back - not having a go at the fans, but its what happens when a team struggle - can help those around them. Lift them out of their own slump.

Up to the manager to ensure the team gel, and that those already here are helped to get their confidence back. Fingers crossed it works...

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No professional player should be single footed.

Anyone who is should be embarassed IMO.

It beggars belief that any player would allow this to happen.

Do you think that if Andy Murray had attempted to play tennis with his left hand from outset that he would have made it as a professional, let alone become world number 1?

Do you and Drew come from the same village? :1eye

10 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

The worst highlights package I have ever seen. I was awaiting some Roberto Carlos like brilliance. All I saw was him feigning injury, passing it 5 yards and not falling over. In saying that, the last 2 things I mentioned are something that Irvine has failed to do as yet.

Aye, but have we got one of those big red arrows to tell where to run with the ball?

Just now, mcdowell76 said:

Do you think that if Andy Murray had attempted to play tennis with his left hand from outset that he would have made it as a professional, let alone become world number 1?

Do you and Drew come from the same village? :1eye

FFS:lol:

Andy, go away, have a wee think to yourself, then come back and sign in as Captain Sensible. At least we will have the nostalgia of recalling when you were almost good at this.

As it is, you're just coming across as a new poster who is a bit of a plum.

13 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

The worst highlights package I have ever seen. I was awaiting some Roberto Carlos like brilliance. All I saw was him feigning injury, passing it 5 yards and not falling over. In saying that, the last 2 things I mentioned are something that Irvine has failed to do as yet.

You can't deny it wasn't perfect 10 for his penalty dive though .

Anyway , good luck to him .

A third from the same village! :1eye

If Tierney, Robertson or Wallace played right back, they would be a fraction of the players they are now. All are very left sided and wouldn't be able to drive at pace down wing, receive a ball and hit a first time delivery with their right foot. Certainly not a delivery with pace and whip. A floater at best. When Irwin was at Man United, they played a strict 4-4-2 where onus was on Giggs to drive down left wing. Irwin did overlap and hit crosses in but never with the same quality of delivery as a left footed player. Teams don't play with wingers now. All about holding midfielders where onus is on full backs to create the width. That is why, in my opinion, a left back should be left footed and vice versa.

21 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Aye, I nearly posted the video with a comment to that effect but thought I'd let folk make their own minds up. :lol: