Stephen McGinn

Sonny

To be honest, some people on this forum are smarter than others because they are simply smarter.
You should probably learn to live with it and focus on being a bit less triggered by the words of other people.

That's good coming from you you moron, look back at your own post & the slagging you get from others. I rest my case smart arse [emoji6]

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Why? Do you think that shows how "smart" you are? All it does is show that you know more than most about a specific subject. Would someone having a O grade in Home Economics prove they were smarter than you if you don't have one? Besides that, I've never attempted a PhD in quantum mechanics so I don't know how I'd get on.

I also note that you never claimed you had that PhD, just that if I did, then we could call it a draw. Do you think me having that PhD equates to you having standard grade history?

Well that seems to have deliciously rattled you a little. :D

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Why? Do you think that shows how "smart" you are? All it does is show that you know more than most about a specific subject. Would someone having a O grade in Home Economics prove they were smarter than you if you don't have one? Besides that, I've never attempted a PhD in quantum mechanics so I don't know how I'd get on.

I also note that you never claimed you had that PhD, just that if I did, then we could call it a draw. Do you think me having that PhD equates to you having standard grade history?

And yes. Like it or not having a PhD certainly DOES show how smart a person is. There are not too many people smart enough to handle things like quantum mechanics well enough to publish original research results in it.

If you had undertaken one you would have known that. It's not like a degree. You don't get it for turning up and doing what you are told.

You generally need to come up with your own ideas for problems to solve and then solve them largely on your own to a sufficient extent to warrant the award of the highest qualification our society has to confer on its citizens.

And it is not necessarily about knowing just one specific subject either. PhDs are becoming very multidisciplinary these days.

As for the Home Ec O grade, I had a wee peek at the NASA recruitment page. Apparently the fools want people with PhDs and not O grades. :D

We also seem to entrust our research into things like cancer to PhD qualified people too. What a crazy society we live in.

With relatively few exceptions our brightest people have been through that process.

I'm sorry about that but I didn't write the rules.

I'm sure you could do well at quantum mechanics. Just like I could master tennis. But until I actually pick up a racket and prove it, I can't claim that without being laughed at.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And yes. Like it or not having a PhD certainly DOES show how smart a person is.

If you had undertaken one you would have known that. It's not like a degree. You don't get it for turning up and doing what you are told.

You generally need to come up with your own ideas for problems to solve and then solve them largely on your own to a sufficient extent to warrant the award of the highest qualification our society has to confer on its citizens.

And it is not necessarily about knowing just one specific subject either. PhDs are becoming very multidisciplinary these days.

As for the Home Ec O grade, I had a wee peek at the NASA recruitment page. Apparently the fools want people with PhDs and not O grades. :D

We also seem to entrust our research into things like cancer to PhD qualified people too. What a crazy society we live in.

With relatively few exceptions our brightest people have been through that process.

So what your saying is , you want to be a spaceman ? 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

And yes. Like it or not having a PhD certainly DOES show how smart a person is.

Thank f**k for that or there would be another steaming pile of shit to read.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And yes. Like it or not having a PhD certainly DOES show how smart a person is. There are not too many people smart enough to handle things like quantum mechanics well enough to publish original research results in it.

I'm sure you could do well at quantum mechanics. Just like I could master tennis. But until I actually pick up a racket and prove it, I can't claim that without being laughed at.

I've worked with quite a few people with PHDs in engineeering and usually they are hopeless at their jobs because they have shite social skills, hence why they stayed at uni as long as possible for an easy life rather than go get a job in the field. Seems like your a good example of this.

Anyhoo, Stephen Mcginn.. what a guy.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Guest TPAFKATS

Well that seems to have deliciously rattled you a little. [emoji3]

As for the Home Ec O grade, I had a wee peek at the NASA recruitment page. Apparently the fools want people with PhDs and not O grades. [emoji3]

Rattled indeed...

5 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

I've worked with quite a few people with PHDs in engineeering and usually they are hopeless at their jobs because they have shite social skills

Oh FFS :lol:

I just knew somebody would take this all too seriously.

Seeing as how I seem to have triggered you, allow me to calm you down.

Me and Slarti were having a bit of fun but you seem to have waded in balls deep with your soapbox.

Yes, I am well aware that the country is full of stupid people with PhDs and smart people who haven't got a certificate to hand.

Happy now?

It's depressing to have to actually explain this you humourless kill joy.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh FFS :lol:

Me and Slarti were having a bit of fun but you seem to have waded in balls deep with your soapbox.

Yes, I am well aware that the country is full of stupid people with PhDs and smart people who haven't got a certificate to hand.

Happy now?

Which one are you Oakie? Surely not the smart one without? :rolleyes::lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
Oh FFS [emoji38]
Happy now?

Keep it up oaky, you're doing a grand job of rattling them.