East Fife v St Mirren. Scottish Cup. 11th Feb

Sonny

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I will be through early for this one. Leven is my wife's home town. Lunch then pick up my tickets to see the game.  Expect it to be tough but do expect us to go through but perhaps after a replay.

I'm hopeful we can get the job done next Saturday . 

2 hours ago, paulsmfc said:

Don't understand why people seem to think games vs East Fife and TNS are going to be a stroll

East Fife should be a win, maybe not a stroll but a win nonetheless.

TNS is difficult to predict as they are more of an unknown quantity, winning lots of games but no idea what the standard is like.

One thing at a time, East Fife victory and move on.

Don't understand why people seem to think games vs East Fife and TNS are going to be a stroll

We're an absolutely imperious cup side. 9 cup games and 8 wins this season proves that.

This team shows what it's capable of when the pressure is off in the cups. It's when the pressure's on in the league that they fold.

I fully expect us to beat East Fife this weekend, TNS the weekend after and then fail to beat Ayr in the league at the end of the month.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, TopCat said:

We're an absolutely imperious cup side. 9 cup games and 8 wins this season proves that.

This team shows what it's capable of when the pressure is off in the cups. It's when the pressure's on in the league that they fold.

I fully expect us to beat East Fife this weekend, TNS the weekend after and then fail to beat Ayr in the league at the end of the month.

I like most of your post TC but would prefer a different result in the game against Ayr.

None of them will be easy.

21 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Anybuddie know if there's any spare seats on any busses at all? Looking for 2 if possible?

I'm doing some Orkney tours starting in May.

i think there's still four seats left in the first one, then it's pretty much solid till September...

This may not be much help. :(

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, TopCat said:

That's the thing TC. We just don't know what THIS team are capable of. It's almost a totally unknown quantity. It's great that we have the two cup  games coming up as it gives them a chance to get to know each others qualities/limitations.

That's the thing TC. We just don't know what THIS team are capable of. It's almost a totally unknown quantity. It's great that we have the two cup  games coming up as it gives them a chance to get to know each others qualities/limitations.

We do. We seen it at Dundee when they went and played a premier league team off the park in their own back yard and won 2-0.

Sadly when the chips were down against Falkirk and Dumbarton in the following weekends they wilted and the two performances were nowhere near the level we reached at Dens Park. Did we suddenly become a worse team? Nope, we just can't handle the pressure of a relegation battle. Or even get close enough to the teams above us to get in a relegation battle. We can't deliver the big performances when it matters.

Get a result at Easter Road in the challenge cup when no one expects anything? Nae bother. Go to Dumbarton and hold on to a lead? Nae chance. Go 1 down to Ayr and come back and beat them? No bother in the cup, 1-0 to 2-1 in 10 minutes. Same situation in the league a couple of weeks later, except we draw instead of win.

This situation's repeated itself it all season and I think it will again on Saturday. East Fife 0-3 St Mirren.

46 minutes ago, TopCat said:

We do. We seen it at Dundee when they went and played a premier league team off the park in their own back yard and won 2-0.

Sadly when the chips were down against Falkirk and Dumbarton in the following weekends they wilted and the two performances were nowhere near the level we reached at Dens Park. Did we suddenly become a worse team? Nope, we just can't handle the pressure of a relegation battle. Or even get close enough to the teams above us to get in a relegation. We can't deliver the big performances when it matters.

Get a result at Easter Road in the challenge cup when no one expects anything? Nae bother. Go to Dumbarton and hold on to a lead? Nae chance. Go 1 down to Ayr and come back and beat them? No bother in the cup, 1-0 to 2-1 in 10 minutes. Same situation in the league a couple of weeks later, except we draw instead of win.

This situation's repeated itself it all season and I think it will again on Saturday. East Fife 0-3 St Mirren.

From memory, of the newbies, I think only O'Brien and two outfield players, Fjelde and Storie played in the Dundee game, those three plus Loy in the Falkirk game so the wholesale changes weren't introduced until Dumbarton and there are still more to come. I'm not saying there will be any upturn. All I'm saying is it's hard to predict the same pattern will be repeated in the coming weeks

Edited by stlucifer

9 hours ago, TopCat said:

Sadly when the chips were down against Falkirk and Dumbarton in the following weekends they wilted and the two performances were nowhere near the level we reached at Dens Park. Did we suddenly become a worse team? Nope, we just can't handle the pressure of a relegation battle. Or even get close enough to the teams above us to get in a relegation battle. We can't deliver the big performances when it matters.

How many new players did we sign after Dundee and how many before. Of the players  who signed before and played at Dundee ? 

How many new players did we sign after Dundee and how many before. Of the players  who signed before and played at Dundee ? 

You're arguing against your own point here. You're saying that the current team should be capable of even more than going to a premier league team and winning comfortably.

Well yes I suppose they should be. After all the current squad is stronger than the one who did just three weeks ago, as you point out. The only player who featured that day and isn't in the squad now is McAllister. But let's not put undue pressure on them.

We don't need them to be capable of going to a premier team and winning comfortably. We just need them capable of getting something at home to Falkirk, or holding on to a lead against part time Dumbarton.