East Fife v St Mirren. Scottish Cup. 11th Feb

Sonny

There's been cold games, wet games and windy games, but that was a impressive combination of cold, wet and windy at the same time. Watching the big waves crashing high off the esplanade wall was the perfect backdrop for it.

It was debatable what direction the wind was blowing in, at times. The litter on the pitch was blowing round in circles.

The coldest I've been at a game in many a year.

Getting knocked out would have been the icing on the cake.

Horrific conditions to play a gme of football in. At one point Storie passed a ball in the general direction of the left corner flag and it ended up at the right hand edge of the penalty box.
I asked a steward at half time if it was always as cold as this. He replied that "Methil was Hell, without the warmth ".

Anyone who wants to draw Celtic is bonkers.

They will be racking up a double figure scoreline against someone soon, and I don't want it to be us.

Well done to everyone who braved the elements yesterday. I hope you've thawed out.

Fantastic pics from Alan (again). As mentioned above, the joy on Mallan's face is a highlight for me, as is the grit and determination on McGinn's.

Edited by Drew

Had a thought about the draw and my wish would for the quarter final after replays is

Dons v Celtic

St Mirren v Clyde

Morton V P Thistle

Hamilton v Hibs

Plus side would be a 3pm game for us. The Dons are the only team that would have a very small chance of beating Celtic which would increase the chances of any other team to win it.

16 hours ago, southsidebud said:

I'd leave Celtic for Semi Final (or Final). I reckon we'd get a small amount of tickets for Parkhead and a lot of Celtic fans would fail to pitch up (not being that interested) meaning a smaller pay day.

In the semi we would get more tickets and I reckon more Celtic fans would turn up as the treble would be moving closer to reality. 

And of course that would mean we had won another game!

The final would be a sell out and the best option of all... not that I'm getting carried away of course... :D

If we were unlucky to get Celtic away what make you think we would only get a small amount of tickets ? 

1 hour ago, renfrew said:

If we were unlucky to get Celtic away what make you think we would only get a small amount of tickets ? 

Just an assumption on my part in terms of relative allocations when comparing the QF to the SF; I think we would get more tickets for a neutral SF at Hampden than from Celtic for a Parkhead QF.

I also reckon that more Celtic fans are likely to be interested in wandering along to a SF than the QF as they would consider it 'job done' before a ball kicked. TBH - I'm not convinced that even the SF would be a huge draw for them - that said I reckon there would be a bigger turnout - from both sides - for a Hampden SF as opposed to a Parkhead QF.

Just an assumption on my part in terms of relative allocations when comparing the QF to the SF; I think we would get more tickets for a neutral SF at Hampden than from Celtic for a Parkhead QF.
I also reckon that more Celtic fans are likely to be interested in wandering along to a SF than the QF as they would consider it 'job done' before a ball kicked. TBH - I'm not convinced that even the SF would be a huge draw for them - that said I reckon there would be a bigger turnout - from both sides - for a Hampden SF as opposed to a Parkhead QF.

Parkhead was half empty yesterday so we would get as many tickets as we want. They are rules about what the away team can get in cup games and I think it is about 20%. Why do you think Hibs got the whole of the away stand today instead of half of it that teams get in leagues games. All rather silly anyway since we would only take a few thousands anyway if we were to get them.

3 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Parkhead was half empty yesterday so we would get as many tickets as we want. They are rules about what the away team can get in cup games and I think it is about 20%. Why do you think Hibs got the whole of the away stand today instead of half of it that teams get in leagues games. All rather silly anyway since we would only take a few thousands anyway if we were to get them.

OK - not disputing any of that (I don't know the rules re. minimum away allocation for the cup). Perhaps I should have used 'relatively small' in terms of ticket allocation. Also 20% of Celtic Park may be beyond us for the QF as you say.

However the intended focus/meaning of my point was that it would be a bigger day out (attendance from both sides, pay-out and atmosphere) if we dodged Celtic in QF and had a meeting with them in either the SF or Final and that remains my opinion.

OK - not disputing any of that (I don't know the rules re. minimum away allocation for the cup). Perhaps I should have used 'relatively small' in terms of ticket allocation. Also 20% of Celtic Park may be beyond us for the QF as you say.
However the intended focus/meaning of my point was that it would be a bigger day out (attendance from both sides, pay-out and atmosphere) if we dodged Celtic in QF and had a meeting with them in either the SF or Final and that remains my opinion.

That may be your opinion but that wasn't what you were saying. You were saying celtic would only give us a low amount of tickets. I am saying we would get as many as we could sell.

21 minutes ago, renfrew said:

That may be your opinion but that wasn't what you were saying. You were saying celtic would only give us a low amount of tickets. I am saying we would get as many as we could sell.

I had a quick check of the rules and - yep - we would be entitled to claim up to 20% as you say.

Point taken and conceded.

I did not know that it was as high as 20% and would not have made my throwaway comment had I known. I assumed that Celtic would offer a small amount as per league games and wouldn't really care about empty seats at the home end. That was an error on my part - every day is a school day etc. 

Would you agree however that it would be a better pay day - and day out in general - if we survived to get Celtic at a later stage at Hampden? That was the main jist of my post - initial flawed assumption excepted.

I had a quick check of the rules and - yep - we would be entitled to claim up to 20% as you say.
Point taken and conceded.
I did not know that it was as high as 20% and would not have made my throwaway comment had I known. I assumed that Celtic would offer a small amount as per league games and wouldn't really care about empty seats at the home end. That was an error on my part - every day is a school day etc. 
Would you agree however that it would be a better pay day - and day out in general - if we survived to get Celtic at a later stage at Hampden? That was the main jist of my post - initial flawed assumption excepted.

To be honest I don't think it would be a good day out for the fans if we were to meet them, or Rangers for that matter. I have see us losing 7 goals to them often in the past and have no desire to watch us get the arse ripped right out of us on TV reguardless of the club making good money.

16 hours ago, renfrew said:

11 minutes ago, renfrew said:

To be honest I don't think it would be a good day out for the fans if we were to meet them, or Rangers for that matter. I have see us losing 7 goals to them often in the past and have no desire to watch us get the arse ripped right out of us on TV reguardless of the club making good money.

I guess its one of those ones that can be seen either way. I also take no joy in seeing us getting hammered by anyone - and Celtic would indeed be likely to give us a right doing. However - most teams are getting shafted by Celtic and getting a bit of extra money is better than not. 

If we get them at any stage now its likely to be on the telly so it may well be something we have to face.

The only way to avoid it would be to hope that either someone we might stand a chance against does us a favour and puts them out - or go out ourselves before we have to face them. Celtic are the only ones I see that could almost guarantee the hammering we are discussing. Even Rangers and Aberdeen - neither any great shakes - could struggle against us (or anyone else in the last 8 for that matter). They would obviously be massive favourites but I would not write it off as a fait accompli. 

I suppose I'm just an eternal optimist - I'm hoping for a winnable QF at St Mirren Park and taking it from there.

[Edit: QF at Celtic Park - Well that's that then... I guess no one gets what they want :(]

Edited by southsidebud