Our Greatest Ever Ex Player

Scotland only had to... (Only!) ... Beat them by three clear goals to be in with a chance of qualifying.

THAT was the one that made it POSSIBLE...

3-1

(and a good Dalglish goal had already been knocked back, unjustly)

Holland were NOT gifting goals.  For once Scotland was worth its place in those finals.

aye.  They did get another...  But Scotland did look good enough - in that one game - to go through... :(

On 02/02/2017 at 9:16 PM, uhura said:

Best goal of the World Cup ever? C'mon now. 

In fact I've always thought there was something a bit iffy about that goal. 

He gets the ball in the inside right position and he gets six touches, all with his left foot. Meanwhile the Dutch defenders are doing a good job of jumping out of his road.

Remember also the best result for Holland that afternoon was a narrow defeat. That meant they would qualify from second place and avoid Argentina in the next round.

:-D That's right, it was a shite goal and the Netherlands let Scotland win. Just talk to a Dutch person. They'll be in total agreement......

12 minutes ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

:-D That's right, it was a shite goal and the Netherlands let Scotland win. Just talk to a Dutch person. They'll be in total agreement......

Why would I ask a Dutch person? There is nothing wrong my eyes nor my brain and I know what I saw. 

It suited Holland to lose by one or two goals. As soon as they went two down in that game they went up the park and knocked one in from 25 yards. They then played out the rest of the game looking like a team who could score when they wanted. 

I know I said they wanted to avoid Argentina in the next round which is true. But the reality is that they were the best international team in the world in the seventies, Yes, they never won the World Cup but they got to two finals and on each occasion they lost narrowly to the host nation. In fact in '78 it was after extra time. In other words in that final they got a draw over 90 minutes against the hosts. 

And thank you Mr Pedantic over there in the corner, I do know that they didn't get to he final in 1970. 

One last thing, now that I've given you another perspective on Archie's wonder goal, take a look at it on YouTube and see what you think. 

1 hour ago, uhura said:

One last thing, now that I've given you another perspective on Archie's wonder goal, take a look at it on YouTube and see what you think. 

YouTube? Fuxake!   No need.

Just ask a Scotch person.

I saw it live in 3-D, in front of me.

it was a magnificent goal and Scotland at last was rippin the arse out of a team that was better by far than the dross we'd previously succumbed to.

The Netherlands were bricking it.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, antrin said:

YouTube? Fuxake!   No need.

Just ask a Scotch person. ??????

I saw it live in 3-D, in front of me.

it was a magnificent goal and Scotland at last was rippin the arse out of a team that was better by far than the dross we'd previously succumbed to.

The Netherlands were bricking it.

PLEASE..............

Scottish.png

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

PLEASE..............

Scottish.png

I know, I know I know (and having been called Scotch, often, I also don't really care.  It's immaterial... )

However I was responding to uhura's reference to ask a "Dutch person" aka a Netherlander...

scotch/Dutch - you missed (or whooshed) the ironic intent.

also... As I'm on a roll... I never drink Scotch and though I have brilliant legs, would never wear a kilt...

then again I once was a piper... Hard to tell what the first pic actually indicates. :P

10 hours ago, antrin said:

I know, I know I know (and having been called Scotch, often, I also don't really care.  It's immaterial... )

However I was responding to uhura's reference to ask a "Dutch person" aka a Netherlander...

scotch/Dutch - you missed (or whooshed) the ironic intent.

also... As I'm on a roll... I never drink Scotch and though I have brilliant legs, would never wear a kilt...

then again I once was a piper... Hard to tell what the first pic actually indicates. :P

A piper either playing an "F" or striking a "G" or high "A".........................

23 minutes ago, Pepé Le Pew said:

Was Archie not also the first sub used in Scottish League football?

He was indeed. I was at the match when he replaced Jim Clunie, another great St.Mirren legend. I played in school and BB football with Archie and I went berserk when I saw his great goal in Argentina.

I reckon it's impossible to pick 'the' greatest Saints player. Of those I saw, Archie is up there with the likes of Telfer, Clunie, Holmes and quite a few others. Plenty of others in fact. Davy McCrae's statistics take some whacking. I've always thought that the best I ever saw in pure footballing terms was Tommy Bryceland. What he could do with the ball at his feet was incredible.