Harry Davis

Drew

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, billyg said:

Baird will become a big player for us if Davis stays fit .

Interesting Billy, given how critical you have been of Jack.

For me, Baird is already a big player for us. He earned that tag on his own merit.

15 minutes ago, billyg said:

Wasn't there today but I see it mentioned that Baird was outstanding. Not surprising with the organisational Davis beside him. Baird will become a big player for us if Davis stays fit .

Yeah baird was brilliant today, considering how difficult the conditions were today  he didnt put a foot wrong all game. 

Interesting Billy, given how critical you have been of Jack.
For me, Baird is already a big player for us. He earned that tag on his own merit.

Bit like Bobby Reid, saw him getting the runaround when John Young was sweeping , big Jack made Bobby into a real central defender .

27 minutes ago, billyg said:

Bit like Bobby Reid, saw him getting the runaround when John Young was sweeping , big Jack made Bobby into a real central defender .

We were top of the league with Baird as one of our key, consistent central defenders, whilst Davis was in rehab.

How do you explain that?

We were top of the league with Baird as one of our key, consistent central defenders, whilst Davis was in rehab.

How do you explain that?

Baird and Buchanan were culpable in some of our heavy defeats this season , Davis should sort it out. Going back to Reid , we were top of the league under Fergie but there was room for improvement so he brought JC in and Reid never looked back.

ETA I'm working , stop bugging me [emoji16]

Baird has definitely been a shining star for me this season and the main consistency in terms of availability and performance through our back 4. Nightmare at Cappielow excepted. 

We've suffered badly from struggling to have a settled back line for a variety of reasons. Hopefully this is now behind us and the guys that in were there today are our strongest when all are available in my opinion. Perhaps a case can be made for Gary Mac instead of Baird but Baird is in such good form right now, you can't really shift him out. 

Edited by djchapsticks

When McKenzie's fit , I'm sure Jack will confirm that  Gary and Harry will be his first choice partnership. It does say a lot for our squad depth when we have been playing what is really our second choice central defensive partnership for most of the season , yet we're at the right end of the table. For me , McKenzie and Davis are assured when playing together , and they both offer more at the other end of the pitch than Baird and Buchanan too. That said , Baird will be a better player for playing with Davis , so if Gary McK continues to struggle with injury I would have no fears !

As JR said though, what a testament to the sort of professional Harry Davis is and the shape he's clearly kept himself in during his rehab to allow for 2 consecutive 90 minute matches following such a serious long term lay off.

That we haven't eased him back in with 15-20 sub spells is highly unusual.

• 4 months later...

From the PDE ....

Harry Davis insists he is keen to extend his stay with St Mirren after finding solace in the Saints.

The centre back’s current contract is up at the end of the season, having signed a one-year deal following his release from Crewe Alexandra last summer.

It marked a return to the Paisley side for the Englishman, who had spent a short spell on loan at Saints before picking up a season-ending knee injury as the Buddies battled against relegation last season.

The contract he signed included a extension clause after playing 25 games but the 26-year-old will not hit that target due to the side only having six games being left.

But Davis revealed that he has already spoken to gaffer Jack Ross about the possibility of staying with St Mirren, with the defender looking to repay the club’s faith in him having battled back from his injury.

Davis told the Paisley Daily Express: “I would definitely be looking to stay at St Mirren.

“I have spoken to the gaffer about it and he has spoken to Tony Fitzpatrick. Tony is hopefully going to come back to me with an offer so we will be trying to get something sorted out soon.

“Hopefully, it is all sorted sooner rather than later. Summer is not a nice place to be when you are out of contract and looking for a club. There are so many people in the same boat as you so the sooner I get it all sorted the better.

"The family is all up here now and all settled so it would be brilliant to get everything ironed out.

“I came up here on loan last season and I loved it.

“I’m enjoying my football and I feel like I have settled back in since coming back from my injury. I’ve found a bit of form recently so I am delighted and hopefully we can get the job done because I want to play in the Scottish Premiership.”

Davis was left gutted on Saturday having seen his second penalty kick of the afternoon saved by Inverness keeper Mark Ridgers.

He had previously swept home the first to give Saints a 1-0 lead – although he admitted the second penalty award, given after he was pushed at a Saints corner, perhaps shouldn’t have been awarded in the first place.

He said: “The keeper deserved his Man of the Match to be fair. Some of the saves he made were unbelievable.

“I was delighted to score the penalty, but obviously I was disappointed to miss the second. I just never got enough height on it.

“I think if I had scored that and we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time then we would have been more comfortable.

“But apparently it wasn’t a penalty – I don’t know who was behind me. But I think it was Danny Mullen who actually pushed me over – I just felt contact and went down as I tried to head the ball in.”