Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don't think he was kidding anyone on when he signed, the club knew that he would be out for a while with a serious injury. With that, you accept the risk that there may be setbacks. It was obviously weighed up by the club and they decided that, to sign a player of that caliber, the risk was worth the potential gain. As far as I can figure out, he's more or less on schedule so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he was kidding anyone on when he signed, the club knew that he would be out for a while with a serious injury. With that, you accept the risk that there may be setbacks. It was obviously weighed up by the club and they decided that, to sign a player of that caliber, the risk was worth the potential gain. As far as I can figure out, he's more or less on schedule so far.


Indeed.

Had we started the season without him it is fair to say we would be no worse of at present.

If we then decided to strengthen in January and Harry was fully fit, there is not a hope on hell we would be able to buy a player of his calibre.

I'm looking upon him as a pre-conttract January transfer window signing and if he is fit beforehand, great.

He is a quality player who will strengthen us at the right time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

"Has something happened"?

err.. yeah he said he wont be at full training till next month, which means it will be mid to late November at the very earliest before he is able to kick a ball that counts for the first time in nine months. Thats If he doesnt have a reaction.  You may not be aware but we are having to make emergency loan signings to cover the position we signed a seriously injured player for. Was that a risk worth taking???

To answer your question on was it a risk worth taking. I believe so. He showed his ability when he was with us last season. Obviously you might have a different opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

 


Indeed.

Had we started the season without him it is fair to say we would be no worse of at present.

If we then decided to strengthen in January and Harry was fully fit, there is not a hope on hell we would be able to buy a player of his calibre.

I'm looking upon him as a pre-conttract January transfer window signing and if he is fit beforehand, great.

He is a quality player who will strengthen us at the right time.

 

The "right time" was about seven weeks ago in Greenock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

To answer your question on was it a risk worth taking. I believe so. He showed his ability when he was with us last season. Obviously you might have a different opinion.

I dont think anyone is questioning his ability, the issue is are we now such a big club we have extra resources to spend on players who wont kick a ball in nine months, or should we not have gone for the centre back "in the hand" rather than two in in the bush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I dont think anyone is questioning his ability, the issue is are we now such a big club we have extra resources to spend on players who wont kick a ball in nine months, or should we not have gone for the centre back "in the hand" rather than two in in the bush?

Davis every day of the week which will be proved when he is back we are going to need his quality to put up a serious challenge. He will be back early second quarter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Davis every day of the week which will be proved when he is back we are going to need his quality to put up a serious challenge. He will be back early second quarter. 

I would say that depriving ourselves of one of our fit centre backs for over a quarter of the season has contributed to our two losses. Lets hope that it doesn't cost us anymore as this league is there for the winning, the team/manager that makes the least mistakes will lift the title. We are capable of that if we can field a decent defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The signing of Davis was/is a risk. Signing any player returning from a bad injury is a risk.

Looks like the manager and the board agreed it was a risk worth taking and if it works out then we have a very good player to call on for 18 months.

The injuries to Gary MacKenzie were unfortunate, and it looks like he's going to be out for another wee while hence the manager moving to bring in McCart to provide cover and competition for Buchanan and Baird whilst those two recover.

Injuries and suspensions are part and parcel of the game and hopefully our situation will improve.

To be winning games like yesterday without MacKenzie, Davis, Magennis, Eckersley and Buchanan and dealing with the in-game injury to Todd was very encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, div said:

Looks like the manager and the board agreed it was a risk worth taking and if it works out then we have a very good player to call on for 18 months.

Specifically if you look ahead as none of our central defenders other than Davis is contracted beyond the end of the season. In fact I think it is only Eckersley, alongside Davis, of our full defence that has a contract into next season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I dont think anyone is questioning his ability, the issue is are we now such a big club we have extra resources to spend on players who wont kick a ball in nine months, or should we not have gone for the centre back "in the hand" rather than two in in the bush?


We signed 2 Harry Davis's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had 3 fit centre backs, Mackenzie, Baird & Buchanan.

Two were out so we have brought in a good player on an emergency loan.

So what is the problem?

We could have signed a different centre half to Davis, but its unlikely he would have been as good as Davis. 

So what would have been the point in having an extra centre half in reserve when you can bring someone in on an emergency loan anyway?

This way we get, probably the best defender in the league, in a month or so time.

I think its ideal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be great to see Harry Davis back playing for the buds in the next month or so.

I had a quick glance as stats and I am sure that he played 9 games for the buds in league and cup duty and we only managed to keep a clean sheet in 3 of those games.

I think he is a cracking player but don't think him coming back into the team necessarily means we are going to stop conceding goals and start getting clean sheets.

I think we are always going to concede more than our fair share of goals even if Gary Mac and Harry Davis are both back fully fit and playing.

I think it's a by product of the way we are set up under Jack. Not a complaint just an observation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we had 3 clean sheets in the 5 league games (plus half an hour against Utd) that Harry was involved. Celtic put 4 past us in the cup, but they were unbeaten in all domestic competitions last season so that's a bit of a red herring, and we conceded 4 in Harry's first two games, where the defence was still finding its feet with a new keeper, plus Harry and also Eckersley & Stelios settling into the defence.

My view is that Harry will make a big difference to us defensively, and if Gary Mack can get fit as well, we will have a far more formidable defence, with Magennis also fit in the midfield, we'll be less vulnerable than we are now. Just my own view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I think we had 3 clean sheets in the 5 league games (plus half an hour against Utd) that Harry was involved. Celtic put 4 past us in the cup, but they were unbeaten in all domestic competitions last season so that's a bit of a red herring, and we conceded 4 in Harry's first two games, where the defence was still finding its feet with a new keeper, plus Harry and also Eckersley & Stelios settling into the defence.

My view is that Harry will make a big difference to us defensively, and if Gary Mack can get fit as well, we will have a far more formidable defence, with Magennis also fit in the midfield, we'll be less vulnerable than we are now. Just my own view.

Yeah there seems to be a sorta fashion to downplay the impact his return could make but he was clearly "a class above" this division before his injury and if the gamble pays off and he returns at that level it'll be a real coup for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×