How is every one feeling

Yes that would be the ideal way but the only way we can stay up now is to catch Ayr (we cannot now catch any of the other teams) and then win the play off which in my opinion would be against Alloa. And you know what will happen in that game !! ..............I stick by my calculations and it's a proven theory that 26 points takes you down automatically. Dumbarton are only ONE win or a couple of draws from that so Ayr is the ONLY option. You say aim for the Premiership next season ??? There is NO chance of that happening whatsoever. I have supported this club since the early 60's when we had some fantastic players ....Kane, Adamson and Pinkerton etc and any of those at a sniff would score. Now I am seeing St Mirren (sorry to say) as an average !st Division club part time. It's hard to accept but sometimes in life you need a reality check.

Playoff won't just be against Alloa. Playoffs at this level works as follows.

4th in league 1 v 9th in Championship
2nd in league 1 v 3rd in league 1

Winner of match 1 v winner of match 2, winner of this one plays in championship in 17/18.

We will first have to catch Ayr then come through two tricky two legged ties against two different league one sides if we are going to stay up.

Bleak looking.

9 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

the manager and club have stood by you`s and my god SO HAVE THE FANS ,

What a pile of tosh given that ross has brought in 9 or 10 players in total now and pretty much all the garbage has been thrown out. So explain why the above is the case of the new players no one has had the chance to stand by them. And given out position what gives you the right to say anything other than a win is acceptable. Im guessing you know exactly how many league games we have won this season. I believe we will win tomorrow but this statement really is utter tosh

I really don't care how many new players the manager has brought in, Whoever pulls on that shirt today, new signing or not nothing less than a win is good enough, but you think otherwise, I just hope your not our sports psychologist in charge of attitude, do I believe we can win today ? we are St Mirren playing Dumbarton should I believe anything else,, 3-1 saints.  do our players believe, new or not, and do they have the guts for the battles that lie ahead, we will all know very soon,  2 wins in 22 games maybe acceptable to you my friend but its not for me, BRING HOME THE 3 PTS

8 hours ago, Sandy said:

Yes that would be the ideal way but the only way we can stay up now is to catch Ayr (we cannot now catch any of the other teams) and then win the play off which in my opinion would be against Alloa. And you know what will happen in that game !! ..............I stick by my calculations and it's a proven theory that 26 points takes you down automatically. Dumbarton are only ONE win or a couple of draws from that so Ayr is the ONLY option. You say aim for the Premiership next season ??? There is NO chance of that happening whatsoever. I have supported this club since the early 60's when we had some fantastic players ....Kane, Adamson and Pinkerton etc and any of those at a sniff would score. Now I am seeing St Mirren (sorry to say) as an average !st Division club part time. It's hard to accept but sometimes in life you need a reality check.

I appreciate you've been following the team for a long time but this post is riddled with inaccuracies. 

Going on form, I agree it's highly unlikely we will catch anyone but Ayr but to say it's impossible is nonsense . there are still 42 points to play for. If this new squad can win half of our remaining 14 matches (lets take today as a fresh slate for the rest of the season) the likelihood is that well be at least 9th. Raith Rovers are in total free fall and to suggest that its impossible to catch them is defeatist to say the least. 

Today and Ayr are must wins though. No room for compromise now in that regard. 4 wins in February across 3 competitions will both gel the squad and boost belief. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I appreciate you've been following the team for a long time but this post is riddled with inaccuracies. 

Going on form, I agree it's highly unlikely we will catch anyone but Ayr but to say it's impossible is nonsense . there are still 42 points to play for. If this new squad can win half of our remaining 14 matches (lets take today as a fresh slate for the rest of the season) the likelihood is that well be at least 9th. Raith Rovers are in total free fall and to suggest that its impossible to catch them is defeatist to say the least. 

Today and Ayr are must wins though. No room for compromise now in that regard. 4 wins in February across 3 competitions will both gel the squad and boost belief. 

IF we can win half? Nothing is impossible but I'd wager that is as close as it gets. :rolleyes:

I want Jack Ross's post match interview to go some taking the lines of.....

the players have trained hard all week

the mood in the dressing room was positive

everyone was up for getting the job done and getting the 3 points

no one wants to hide everyone is committed to doing their bit to climb the table 

the players stuck to the game plan and we got the rewards

now we turn our focus to the next game and I can assure you we will be planning and training hard to get a win

we are all aware of the situation we are in and from the chairman to the players we all really appreciate the support of the fans

my squad is positive that we can do enough to stay up - I can assure all the fans it won't be lack of effort or fight!

St Mirren are a proud football club with a proud identity and history and myself and this group of players are doing everything we can to fight to stay in the division 

come on ye Saints!!!!!

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

IF we can win half? Nothing is impossible but I'd wager that is as close as it gets. :rolleyes:

You know, I'd agree but let's not underestimate the importance of an air of positivity about the side. A good February, mixed with a far stronger squad on paper could see us kick on somewhat.

I really don't think it's a massive ask to say we should be winning 7 of our remaining 14 when 4 of those games are against the part time sides in the division.

Edited by djchapsticks

Got to ask Sandy if he forgot his meds?  I too used to watch Peter Kane, Bobby Adamson and I think Pinkertons christian name was also Bobby.(not entirely sure though) however whilst Kane and his stiff legged gait was a worker and never give up and Bobby Adamson if he could find the net with his shot it..... was unlikely to be saveable, but just as likely to take the heed of the ball-boy and Pinkerton if my memory serves me right was a poor mans Jinky, again a grafter like the other two....but really! top class players. I think not and I mean no disrespect in that statement......I just think Sandy has his rose tinted specs on, what does anyone else think? 

6 hours ago, TopCat said:

Thanks for highlighting the play off and it shows what St Mirren are up against. As you say the best we can now do is to catch Ayr but they have won twice as many games as us. It's not just seven points between us as by the time we did get seven points Ayr will have won a few more and so on. We almost don't have any league games now until March. Then it becomes psychological as the players will see a big gap to catch up. Then there is a month of playing big teams. And finally the last month of 5 games which may not make any difference. As I say we cannot catch Dumbarton and Ayr is the only hope and  as TopCat just said look at what THEN faces us. Bleak is not the word.

Playoff won't just be against Alloa. Playoffs at this level works as follows.

4th in league 1 v 9th in Championship
2nd in league 1 v 3rd in league 1

Winner of match 1 v winner of match 2, winner of this one plays in championship in 17/18.

We will first have to catch Ayr then come through two tricky two legged ties against two different league one sides if we are going to stay up.

Bleak looking.

25 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Got to ask Sandy if he forgot his meds?  I too used to watch Peter Kane, Bobby Adamson and I think Pinkertons christian name was also Bobby.(not entirely sure though) however whilst Kane and his stiff legged gait was a worker and never give up and Bobby Adamson if he could find the net with his shot it..... was unlikely to be saveable, but just as likely to take the heed of the ball-boy and Pinkerton if my memory serves me right was a poor mans Jinky, again a grafter like the other two....but really! top class players. I think not and I mean no disrespect in that statement......I just think Sandy has his rose tinted specs on, what does anyone else think? 

Ha I agree there was probably more dents in them invalid cars and in fact Kane once knocked a bottle of pee out a guys hand just as he was pouring it from his wee car. While I may agree partly with you ........ there is no denying the spirit and the commitment and FIGHT that those players had. As you said yourself Kane's shots were unstoppable !! They were top class in the day especially the time we beat Rangers in the fog and it was Hugh Gilshan scoring a brilliant goal. That spirit must prevail today in Dumbarton.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You know, I'd agree but let's not underestimate the importance of an air of positivity about the side. A good February, mixed with a far stronger squad on paper could see us kick on somewhat.

I really don't think it's a massive ask to say we should be winning 7 of our remaining 14 when 4 of those games are against the part time sides in the division.

You say a good February ???? We don't have any league games in February !! apart from at the very end. There will be a pile up of fixtures and the gap will be bigger so I hope the players will be ready in their HEADS to think they can catch up. But the thing is March is full of very hard fixtures and then by April it may all be too late. The only team we can catch is Ayr and then two tough play offs face us. We won't win 7 games. We have only won TWO and are now at the back end of the season.

14 hours ago, Sandy said:

Yes we can Sandy,,,, win today and then against Ayr and the miracle can happen, we can bring other teams into this, We hopefully have strengthened all parts of the team, goalkeeper, defence, midfield, strikers, IT CAN BE DONE, remember Hibs the year they were relegated they were vying for a top 6 place, then the wheels fell off the wagon, no one saw that coming,  win today and our rivals WILL see us coming, our first target is AYR,  

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Bobby (ye're right) Pinkerton had a great shot on him.  First player I ever saw putting swerve on a ball.  scored 27 in 140-odd games for Saints.

There was even a song about him ("written" by Desperately Seeking Susans).

You can work out the tune...

Let's drink a drink a drink

To Bobby the Pink, the Pink, the Pink

Saviour of... the forward li-I-ine!

Cos he invented Banana Benders

And he scores in every game...

They don't write them like that noo-adays.  :)

We sang that against Dumbarton twice in 1967.  Pinkie scored in both games.

Read this. Check the first three matches.   It's a sign, I tell ye!

http://www.stmirren.info/id315.html