Stephen McGinn - New club Captain

FFS get behind something!

Genuine leadership inspires those who feel it's impact. How do you know that McGinn won't be having that effect on the training ground every day and will carry that into Saturday?

Short answer, you don't. However, with your nauseating brand of negativity you've put this down as irrelevant. Unless, of course, it serves to piss off one of your current whipping boys.

What a rant [emoji28]

My point was McGinn (and anyone) can show leadership without being the captain. The signing of McGinn is far more important than him being made captain, which isn't relevant.

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

Wasn't even sure who the club captain was. Webster or Irvine?

Either way, they're both wet blankets and hopeless players. Might aswell change it, nothing to lose.

However I do think the role of the club captain is over estimated. You can be a leader without being a captain, and (as we've experienced with Irvine and Webster) you can be a captain without being a leader. An elasticated armband won't change that either way.

And a black shirt doesn't make you a ref, so what?

I am sure that being named captain, a true honour, is a huge boost to a well intentioned player. 

There can be many leaders, but only one person in charge. 

4 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Once again the original and the best!

Congrats to the player, not sure how much it means as I said in the other thread

You're correct - Webster's role as captain seemed limited to calling the toss :oohlala of the coin, whereas even if SM is not captain he will contribute to the team spirit as well as bringing his playing skills - it's still a damn good song tho'. :whistle 

but if he wants it he should have it! :happyclapper

Edited by Bud the Baker

I believe that whether or not a Captain's role is important is down to the player that has it.

While its true that a leader doesn't have to be a Captain - I think it will help us in the current situation where the whole team knows the player that they need to look to for leadership. Until now they would likely be looking at the holder of the armband with some amount of confusion. I think this is a good call by Jack.

No matter where you stand on Jack Ross as manager (I was 'meh' when he was appointed but will support him as long as he is in place) - it should be a matter of agreement that he is not hiding and is making the big calls where decisions are needed. Good for you JR! 

15 hours ago, TopCat said:

What a rant The signing of McGinn is far more important than him being made captain, which isn't relevant.

If making a player captain isn't relevant, why did you suggest previously that if we had signed Rankin, you'd have made him captain?

Thought he was poor today. We needed him to step up and deliver a big performance. He didn't.

After reading this forum during the week you'd half believe we'd just signed Sergio Busquets.

The reality is S McGinn couldn't get a game for League 2 Wycombe Wandererrs. He may be an improvement on what we had in that position, but he's a very average player.

7 hours ago, TopCat said:

Thought he was poor today. We needed him to step up and deliver a big performance. He didn't.

After reading this forum during the week you'd half believe we'd just signed Sergio Busquets.

The reality is S McGinn couldn't get a game for League 2 Wycombe Wandererrs. He may be an improvement on what we had in that position, but he's a very average player.

This the opposite what Div tweeted during the match. One glass is half full the other seems to be empty these days. 

10 hours ago, TopCat said:

Dearie me.

You really can't help yourself, can you?

Poor comment.

it was a dreadful pitch, and game difficult to control in the middle of the park. Had some great passes, was tidy on the ball and provided an assist. For his first start, id say it wasn't too bad.

4 minutes ago, Kendo said:

However had Gus signed him?

TopCat is trying to be the new Captain Sensible, which is surplus to requirements and a bit desperate given that we already have the original model currently making a monumental arse of it.

It's actually quite amusing that you expect anyone to believe that your not trolling with this type of post. 

What calibre or quality of player did you expect to see the club attract from the bottom of the championship. Jack Ross has done exceptionally well to get Stephen McGinn. Are you suggesting that your beloved Gus would not have taken up the offer to sign McGinn had he been at the helm.

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

TopCat is trying to be the new Captain Sensible, which is surplus to requirements and a bit desperate given that we already have the original model currently making a monumental arse of it.

I reckon The Cap'n is one of the better posters on here - even when he goes OTT. I respect a person who's able to nurture a grievance for the best part of a decade, let's face it if we were well rounded (in the psychological sense :whistle) human beings we wouldn't be on a footy forum on a fine Sunday morning.

Actually I'm not going to be for much longer - when the elpee I'm listening to finishes I'm out for a walk. Cheertbye!

Edited by Bud the Baker

I think he's a class act, and that shone through, despite the conditions. I can't think of a time where he really wasted the ball, and most of the, admittedly rare, spells of good play we had involved him in some way.

To me, it would have been easy enough for someone with no previous knowledge of the teams to pick out the guy who'd played at a much higher level for years.

17 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I reckon The Cap'n is one of the better posters on here - even when he goes OTT. I respect a person who's able to nurture a grievance for the best part of a decade, let's face it if we were well rounded (in the psychological sense :whistle) human beings we wouldn't be on a footy forum on a fine Sunday morning.

Actually I'm not going to be for much longer - when the elpee I'm listening to finishes I'm out for a walk. Cheertbye!

Pishin' down oot there. Take care:(

9 minutes ago, supras said:

The Sooper Dooper High and Fecking Mighty Fannies will only be happy when Top Cat is in the Sin Bin. 

That's why they helped create it. 

TC is talking sense which the bams fail to grasp. 

Bully Boys and Cry Babies 

Haud yer weesht, shull, and go back to the Wank Tank where you belong.

I thought McGinn had a decent game. Fought well and Chose the right pass on most occasions.

Was very disappointed with Storie who got caught in possession far too often, received a soft yellow card but was a lucky man to stay on the  pitch afterwards with two very bookable tackles.

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

I thought McGinn had a decent game. Fought well and Chose the right pass on most occasions.

Was very disappointed with Storie who got caught in possession far too often, received a soft yellow card but was a lucky man to stay on the  pitch afterwards with two very bookable tackles.

Aye, Storie was fortunate not to pick up a second (albeit unfortunate with the firat), but at least he was committed. He's not the most accomplished player, but with a bit more maturity I reckon he'll be a very good defensive midfielder.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Aye, Storie was fortunate not to pick up a second (albeit unfortunate with the firat), but at least he was committed. He's not the most accomplished player, but with a bit more maturity I reckon he'll be a very good defensive midfielder.

Agree with this. Storie does lose the ball but he also wins it back a lot. Good committed player. Will play at a higher level than us.