it's Celtic in the Next Round

St.Ricky

I am glad I bought my ticket and went up to Parkhead today despite the result as the performance was terrific on the whole.

Great to bump into to Isle of Bute Saint before the game.[emoji2]

The player's put in a great shift and deservedly found themselves 1-0 up but Celtic were always going score a few regardless of how well we played. They are a club that are cantering towards a treble and scoring goals for fun.

Plenty to build on for the remainder of the season from the buds. Based on the last few games I think we are going to make a great fight for survival and have more belief in Jack Ross and the squad than I did after the disappointing game at Dumbarton.

The fans were excellent today and there really is a terrific energy about the fans at games recently. A great bond is forming between the players and the fans and it's powerful as Jack says. Long may it continue and together we can have a memorable end to the season.

Taken from the BBC website match report... echoes Brendan Rodgers' view that we have been the best domestic side he's faced this season, nae' luck Alloa... (even allowing for it also doubling as a dig at the Ibrox AllStar Franchise FC)...

As the match progressed, it became clear Saints were equipped to give Brendan Rodgers' side as big a domestic test as they have faced this season at Parkhead.

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Taken from the BBC website match report... echoes Brendan Rodgers' view that we have been the best domestic side he's faced this season, nae' luck Alloa... (even allowing for it also doubling as a dig at the Ibrox AllStar Franchise FC)...

As the match progressed, it became clear Saints were equipped to give Brendan Rodgers' side as big a domestic test as they have faced this season at Parkhead.

First and foremost Brendin Rodgers isnt the be all and end all of Scottish football and as Poz points out there could be a wee dig at the pretendy gers..but praise indeed ( and from Lennon after the Hibs trousering) 

the Saints have hit a wee purple patch right now and deserve credit 

we are playing well and scoring goals and for the first time this season,it looks like we are a team and a group who want to win for each other (management included)

me personally i havent been to kind to Stevie Mallan but now i see a player who a few years ago showed promise and has come right on to his game

Stephan McGinn is an absolute stand out in our team

but you know...i think its time to praise the WHOLE team..together they have given us a light at the end of a long tunnel ( which has been this season)

we look like we can win when we take the field ( how long has it been said that we could do that)

Wednesday night ..i cant wait....but theres still that wee element of shitting myself cause we could f**k it up....i hope not

COYS

I'm no Neil Lennon fan, nor do I particularly care about the fortunes of Celtic FC and their manager. However, if St Mirren have played well in two difficult games against bigger clubs with bigger resources and probably better players, and the opposition managers say something nice about us, I'm quite happy to believe they said it because they believed it and believed it was deserved.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm no Neil Lennon fan, nor do I particularly care about the fortunes of Celtic FC and their manager. However, if St Mirren have played well in two difficult games against bigger clubs with bigger resources and probably better players, and the opposition managers say something nice about us, I'm quite happy to believe they said it because they believed it and believed it was deserved.

spot on Poz

4 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

spot on Poz

I agree with Drew. No, sorry, I agree with Brendan Rodgers and Neil Lennon. :D

Edit: Probably the first and last time I'll ever agree with Lennon and the sitting manager at that mob.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Yip, and you can hardly say Lennon was saying it because he felt it easy to be magnanimous after a victory!

Been away with work since last Tuesday, and so had to watch the Hibs and Celtic games on TV (well, t'Internet).

Something I very rarely do because most times we're on telly I'm at the game.

It's HORRIBLE! So much more nerve-wracking than being at the game for some reason. 

Got up at 4.30am to watch the Celtic game today, firmly convinced that I'd be wanting to head back to bed about 4.45am.

But no, absolutely superb performance from the team.

EVEN after we went 2-1 down (unluckily I thought) we still kept pushing forward - and doing so dangerously.

After the final whistle. and watching some of the interviews and reading a bit of P&B and here, I tried to get some sleep - but was still buzzing about the performance.

Cannot wait for Kirkcaldy on Wednesday.

I really do think Jack and the team are going to go out and put in another excellent performance.

COYS! 

Now the dust has settled my view on yesterdays game was that the first 45 minutes were excellent. Not only did we score a very good goal we were organised and reduced Celtic to a few half chanced but looked comfortable.

The second half started quite well and the unfortunate effort that came off the underside of the bar could really have changed the game.

Unfortunately losing 2 goals in as many minutes sealed the game and the rest of the game was just one way traffic but we kept the result within the "beat but not overly embarrassed" range.

As most said before this game there was nothing much to lose. If we'd lost by 5 or 6 then it could have been damaging but we scored and gave the traveling support a great hour at a ground where we don't get much joy.

If we win on Wednesday, and I'd expect us to do this, then we are really back in the hunt for survival.

Only saw the highlights on tv but a bit disappointed that we led until half an hour from the end but lost 4 and could have been more. Completely understand that Celtic literally threw their wallet at us so wasn't surprised at the defeat. For now, the league campaign is rather more important.

From today's Scotsman ...

Brendan Rodgers hailed 
St Mirren as the most accomplished opponents Celtic have faced on domestic duty this season after his team had to come from behind against the relegation-threatened Championship outfit to secure their place in the Scottish Cup semi-finals.

Trailing 1-0 for almost an hour, Celtic eventually hit their stride to claim a 4-1 victory and stretch their unbeaten run in domestic football under Rodgers to 34 matches.

The Celtic manager was full of praise for St Mirren afterwards, rating them above Aberdeen, Rangers or any of the other Premiership rivals he has encountered in his first season in Scottish football.

“St Mirren would hold their own in the Premiership,” said Rodgers, pictured, whose team currently hold a 27-point lead in the top flight.

“They are the best team we have played domestically, without any shadow of a doubt. They have good organisation and Jack Ross has obviously gone in there and made an impact.

“We played Alloa at Celtic Park when he was manager, so I had an idea of his coaching ability. He had them well organised and there are moments in games that make you think about the level of coaching. Certain things happened that make you think, ‘Oh, okay’. It’s little details that can define coaches.

“They have good speed, they have young players with enthusiasm and energy. They play football and St Mirren have been our biggest threat domestically this season, for sure.

“How they are at the bottom of the Championship, I do not know.” Rodgers admitted to a degree of concern when, with 52 minutes on the clock, Celtic were fortunate to avoid going 2-0 down when Moussa Dembele sliced an attempted clearance of a free-kick against his own crossbar. St Mirren had opened the scoring from a well-worked set piece, finished by Harry Davis.

“Listen, you’re not here on holiday,” said Rodgers. “From those two set pieces, we had an issue. Moussa had a swing at it and it hit the bar. It fell for us and we were then able to go and take control of the game.”

Goals from Mikael Lustig, Scott Sinclair, Dembele and substitute Leigh Griffiths saw Celtic finally assert their authority on the tie, leaving Saints boss Ross with mixed feelings afterwards.

“The first emotion for us is disappointment because we did come here to win and progress to the semi-finals,” said Ross.

“People might think that was foolhardy, but that was our ambition. We were halfway towards doing that, so there is that disappointment that we haven’t managed to achieve what we wanted to.

“But when you put that aside, there is pride in how we performed and in how well we made Celtic have to play to win the game.

“You just don’t know how things would have panned out if the one that hit the bar had gone in for us. I still think we would have had to withstand a lot of pressure, because Celtic had introduced Leigh Griffiths by that stage and changed the dynamic of the game.

“To win here you need to play very well and you need good fortune. That moment was possibly that little extra bit of fortune we needed today but didn’t come our way. If it had gone in, we possibly could have progressed. But it didn’t and thereafter it was difficult for us.

“What Brendan has said about us is a good compliment for the players.

“I’ve spoken about it since the window closed. I believe we have a stronger squad now with a better balance.

“They should take enormous satisfaction from it but, equally, they need to have a desire to prove it game in, game out.”

I was impressed by what I saw yesterday. It's not often you can take positives from a 4-1 defeat but we did not look hopelessly outclassed.

4-1 was a bit harsh on us. 2-1 / 3-1 would have been a fairer reflection on how much we contributed.

Roll on Wednesday - if we perform at the level we played at yesterday we could give them a real hammering. :)

The first Celtic goal was always going to change momentum massively, as it reminded the Celtic support they were at a game and not in the house watching on telly. Atmosphere changed, and it is always difficult to rage against that momentum at Celtic Park. I was impressed with the way that we continued trying to get another goal, even at 4-1, rather than just get everyone behind the ball and accept our fate. Were never going to turn it around, but still created a couple of openings after the tide turned.

Let's hope we can get back to winning ways on Wednesday.

On 5 March 2017 at 1:30 PM, Mr Zo said:

I am glad I bought my ticket and went up to Parkhead today despite the result as the performance was terrific on the whole.

Great to bump into to Isle of Bute Saint before the game.emoji2.png

The player's put in a great shift and deservedly found themselves 1-0 up but Celtic were always going score a few regardless of how well we played. They are a club that are cantering towards a treble and scoring goals for fun.

Plenty to build on for the remainder of the season from the buds. Based on the last few games I think we are going to make a great fight for survival and have more belief in Jack Ross and the squad than I did after the disappointing game at Dumbarton.

The fans were excellent today and there really is a terrific energy about the fans at games recently. A great bond is forming between the players and the fans and it's powerful as Jack says. Long may it continue and together we can have a memorable end to the season.

Yes it was great to see you again been too long. Will be in the 1877 club this Saturday if you are up for a pint.

Walked all the way to Bath Street from Parkhead to meet up with the boys. These boys younger than mysef got a train into town , cleaver them I would say as the skin on the back of my heal is off , painful ocha 1

All in all a very enjoyable day out though my pool skills were laughble in the bar in Bath Street.