Season 17/18 Replica Kits

div

7 minutes ago, dave.j said:

In what way does, "they had a different type of deal" not explain it?

Or are you now wanting an explanation of why they had a different deal?

The pertinent question surely is why did St Mirren's BoD ink a deal that saw St Mirren fans have to venture into JD shops to buy their strips, while the BoDs of other JD-supplied clubs inked deals that saw their fans able to buy strips in their own club shops. I have a theory on that, which I have voiced more than once on here.

Edited by pozbaird

The pertinent question surely is why did St Mirren's BoD ink a deal that saw St Mirren fans have to venture into JD shops to buy their strips, while the BoDs of other JD-supplied clubs inked deals that saw their fans able to buy strips in their own club shops. I have a theory on that, which I have voiced more than once on here.

I would agree, thats the correct way to raise the question.

10 minutes ago, dave.j said:

I would agree, thats the correct way to raise the question.

The question was raised in the boardroom, by fans, directly to a JD rep'. 'Why have other JD supplied clubs got kit for sale at their stadium shops while we don't'. The answer was, as I said, 'They have different deals'. The follow up question as to why St Mirren didn't have a similar deal was met not with a satisfactory answer, but with what I would describe as flim-flam, waffle, shuffling in their seat and what amounted to a response amounting to 'it just is, right?'. A politician would have given a better answer.

Edited by pozbaird

The question was raised in the boardroom, by fans, directly to a JD rep'. 'Why have other JD supplied ckubs got kit for sale at their stadium shops while we don't'. The answer was, as I said, 'They have different deals'. The follow up question as to why St Mirren didn't have a similar deal was met not with a satisfactory answer, but with what I would describe as flim-flam, waffle, shuffling in their seat and what amounted to a response amounting to 'it just is, right?'. A politician would have given a better answer.

What do you think the reason is, the club agreed a "lesser" deal?

23 minutes ago, dave.j said:

What do you think the reason is, the club agreed a "lesser" deal?

It apparently wasn't a lesser deal for the club, the JD deal, as opposed to what was on offer from rivals. We, as fans, simply have to accept this as being fact. However, personally, I wonder that if JD were so stonkIngly good over everyone else, why were tons of other Scottish clubs not falling over themselves to ditch their Puma, Nike and Adidas deals to grab a slice of the JD action. Anyway... I still believe that despite the boon of bespoke design, it was a poor deal for St Mirren fans. Having to go to three JD stores, nothing available on matchdays when our core support was gathered in one place, poor stock levels, poor launch dates, dreadful availability at Christmas, quality control issues, and a piss-poor St Mirren presence, certainly in Braehead and Silverburn - where Saints tops were shoved behind the ubiquitous Barcelona, Man Utd and 'Old Firm' tops.

My belief is that a want-away BoD, with a shambolic merchandising situation after AWP, saw the opportunity to have zero responsibility, allowed JD to take care of the whole shooting match, and washed their hands of another troublesome issue. The fact it was a poor deal for fans is something I don't think would have saw them lose any sleep.

Edited by pozbaird

I think, as Dave has alluded to, that Joma can do some element of besoke design for the Professional Clubs. It doesn't need to be totally out the catalogue.
The designs we've had from JD have, apart from the relegation season abominations, been pretty decent IMO. The strip that poz designed that we won the cup in was brilliant.
It was the quality of the kits, the shambolic release dates (ironically the only release they got bang on was the worst strip we've ever had) and the deal breaker of not being able to buy the kits in our own shop that really pissed everyone off.
All TTL need to do is do a proper formal launch of the new kit, at the last home game of the previous season, make it an event, take over the Dome or whatever, get a band in, get some ex-players, get some food and drink stuff set up, something for the kids, and sell the kits there and then. They'd completely clean up and undo much of the pain of the last 3 years with JD.
This ain't rocket science. We sometimes make it so hard for fans to spend money it's ridiculous!

It apparently wasn't a lesser deal for the club, the JD deal, as opposed to what was on offer from rivals. We, as fans, simply have to accept this as being fact. However, personally, I wonder that if JD were so stonkIngly good over everyone else, why were tons of other Scottish clubs not falling over themselves to ditch their Puma, Nike and Adidas deals to grab a slice of the JD action. Anyway... I still believe that despite the boon of bespoke design, it was a poor deal for St Mirren fans. Having to go to three JD stores, nothing available on matchdays when our core support was gathered in one place, poor stock levels, poor launch dates, dreadful availability at Christmas, quality control issues, and a piss-poor St Mirren presence, certainly in Braehead and Silverburn - where Saints tops were shoved behind the ubiquitous Barcelona, Man Utd and 'Old Firm' tops.
My belief is that a want-away BoD, with a shambolic merchandising situation after AWP, saw the opportunity to have zero responsibility, allowed JD to take care of the whole shooting match, and washed their hands of another troublesome issue. The fact it was a poor deal for fans is something I don't think would have saw them lose any sleep.

Made more laughable given SG runs that sort of business

On 2/17/2017 at 9:44 PM, paul torfason said:

my first buds strip,must be late 70's?what ground is picture taking??

Ochilview, with the McCowans toffee factory in the background. Lived along the end of the road from there for a few years a while back. Visited Ochilview several times when I couldn't make the Saints games.

On 19/02/2017 at 1:52 PM, SBS said:

Ochilview, with the McCowans toffee factory in the background. Lived along the end of the road from there for a few years a while back. Visited Ochilview several times when I couldn't make the Saints games.

I think I was at that game , it was a midweek league cup game in 79,  we won two nil or was it four . memory not as good as it was

9 hours ago, dumbarton_bud said:

Forgive me if I've missed something, but why did the keeper have a Norway flag instead of the Saints badge on his jersey?

Thompson played for Scotland U23 against Norway.It's obviously a top he swapped with their keeper.