Named and shamed...............

FTOF

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-38974448

Fifteen Scottish firms have been "named and shamed" by the UK government as national minimum and living wage offenders.

They include St Mirren Football Club, as well as firms in the care sector and fast food industry.

Scottish Championship side St Mirren FC was found to have underpaid one worker £1,277.10.

I'm presuming the employee was the player that went back to university and played part time.

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It's no joking matter, it is a disgrace and these issues have been hanging around the club now for some time. Board need to make a swift statement and ensure the wrong is righted immediately.

Tony F going for the classic "It was the previous bloke guv, you need to speak to him" defence: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/st-mirren-named-shamed-one-9826240

1 hour ago, Drew said:

He needs to remember that he was (albeit briefly) a part of the previous regime.

Yeah that crossed my mind. And ultimately, while he can argue it has been sorted and we shouldn't be on the list, he has confirmed we underpaid someone which isn't good.

I'm assuming, as FTOF said, it's Kieran Doran, however I'm surprised he's the only employee. If it was proven the contract he was on was dodgy you'd have thought all the other youth players at the time would have been queuing up to get some cash.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yeah that crossed my mind. And ultimately, while he can argue it has been sorted and we shouldn't be on the list, he has confirmed we underpaid someone which isn't good.

I'm assuming, as FTOF said, it's Kieran Doran, however I'm surprised he's the only employee. If it was proven the contract he was on was dodgy you'd have thought all the other youth players at the time would have been queuing up to get some cash.

He's wrong even although it has now been corrected it is right that were were on the list - several of the firms mentioned are in the same boat i.e. "oversight" "now corrected". It happened so under current rules we get listed.

Guest TPAFKATS

Was the quid a week contract not pretty widespread in Scottish football clubs at that time?
If so, I wonder why we are the only ones mentioned in the report?

21 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Was the quid a week contract not pretty widespread in Scottish football clubs at that time?
If so, I wonder why we are the only ones mentioned in the report?

I think that's what the Record campaign was trying to claim. Could be that it's not a player but an office worker or whatever.

We should respond by following the lead of Hearts etc. and become Scottish Living Wage accredited employers and give the club a positive boost. It isn't too much to expect a fans owned club to want other working folk treated with some respect. £8:45 an hour isn't exactly a fortune nor too much to pay.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

PS Heard a rumour that we also use zero hours contracts and are about to be exposed by the better than zero campaign http://www.betterthanzero.org/  Hope it isn't true!

Why?

As a football club, we play matches every so often. Sometimes the games are cancelled and rearranged at different times. Sometimes we get cup matches or replays, sometimes we don't.

In other words, we need extra staff for certain unspecified dates and times.

If we have a bank of people, we call someone up and offer them work as required. If they can't manage then we call up the next person and so on.

What is wrong with that?

1 hour ago, Danny said:

PS Heard a rumour that we also use zero hours contracts and are about to be exposed by the better than zero campaign http://www.betterthanzero.org/  Hope it isn't true!

Exposed for what - they are perfectly legal and we are a classic example of when they would be ethically used unlike certain other high profile abusers of the system.

Perhaps thats why certain players have been so poor - maybe they are on them !!!!!

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

31 minutes ago, slapsalmon said:

Surprised there are only 15 Scottish firms. I know of at least 15 in glasgow alone. Pretty much the whole of the hospitality industry!

Sometimes it's forgot you need to be over 25 years of age before you are entitled to a minimum wage. Crap ! 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Exposed for what - they are perfectly legal and we are a classic example of when they would be ethically used unlike certain other high profile abusers of the system.

Perhaps thats why certain players have been so poor - maybe they are on them !!!!!

Zero hours contracts are an abomination and should be banned permanently.

Employees have a right to know they can pay their bills each month and put food on the table.

We can't be running an economy for the benefit of students or those who don't really mind if their hours vary wildly each week.

We have about 1 million people stuck on these things and they are the people who are most vulnerable.