Buses For Ayr

HSS

What's the chances of SMiSA subsidising buses for our vital game at Ayr?

The regular Supporters Clubs could be subsidised and leave from their normal base and you could have a fleet of buses leaving from SMP.

We need a good support at this game to "sing our way to the Play Offs".There are a lot of engineering works on the railway that weekend which might put people of using the train.

The 1877 Club could be opened up for a couple of hours before the buses leave,and maybe also for the buses returning,which would give it some extra revenue and help Fans "get in the mood" for the game.

If this is not a possibility for SMiSA could they put it to the BoD for consideration?

A full away end could be worth a goal of a start.

18 minutes ago, HSS said:

The regular Supporters Clubs could be subsidised and leave from their normal base and you could have a fleet of buses leaving from SMP.

We need a good support at this game to "sing our way to the Play Offs".There are a lot of engineering works on the railway that weekend which might put people of using the train.

The 1877 Club could be opened up for a couple of hours before the buses leave,and maybe also for the buses returning,which would give it some extra revenue and help Fans "get in the mood" for the game.

If this is not a possibility for SMiSA could they put it to the BoD for consideration?

Agree with all of the above, especially the highlighted part.

Brilliant idea. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

Considering the extra money the club are getting in from the Celtic game, probably over £200,000 then it would be a great idea for them to run a fleet of buses for fans to Ayr. Don't know how much a coach costs to hire but say they put on 10 coaches I would guess it would only cost about £5000 surely?

Considering the extra money the club are getting in from the Celtic game, probably over £200,000 then it would be a great idea for them to run a fleet of buses for fans to Ayr. Don't know how much a coach costs to hire but say they put on 10 coaches I would guess it would only cost about £5000 surely?

our bus to ayr is usually quiet as a lot of people like to travel to ayr early on train or by car..

5 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

our bus to ayr is usually quiet as a lot of people like to travel to ayr early on train or by car..

Engineering works on the railway,buses from Kilwinning to Ayr,will put people off using the train.

I've just read in the paper that Thistle are putting on free buses for their fans to get to Aberdeen for their cup game.

32 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I would usually travel to Ayr by train but since they have a replacement bus service between Kilwinning and Ayr it has put me off that option. The replacement bus services take forever as they need to stop at every station the train would have stopped so that would be Irvine, Barassie, Troon, Prestick Airport, Prestwick town then Newton on Ayr.. not exactly the quickest route!

17 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just my personal opinion... would it not be more appropriate, meaningful and relevant to address this request to the club?

smisa members subscriptions are ringfenced to pay off a substantial debt to the selling consortium, and to buy the majority shareholding in the club.

Is it not SMiSAs job to pass this suggestion on to the BoD?

22 minutes ago, HSS said:

Is it not SMiSAs job to pass this suggestion on to the BoD?

Just a suggestion, maybe it would help to run a poll on here and email [email protected] (the smisa rep on the club board) to make him, and the board directly aware, and ask the question?

I will pass it on, but I generally find the personal/direct approach pays off.

edit: passed on.

Edited by Lord Pityme

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just my personal opinion... would it not be more appropriate, meaningful and relevant to address this request to the club?

smisa members subscriptions are ringfenced to pay off a substantial debt to the selling consortium, and to buy the majority shareholding in the club.

Would it be good use of the "community spend" part of the monthly payment (the quarterly spend if you like), it would be difficult to argue that it wasn't being spent on the community that SMiSA is providing for. If there wasn't currently enough in the pot possibly it could be provided for "up front" and taken back from the next quarters generated funds.

9 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Would it be good use of the "community spend" part of the monthly payment (the quarterly spend if you like), it would be difficult to argue that it wasn't being spent on the community that SMiSA is providing for. If there wasn't currently enough in the pot possibly it could be provided for "up front" and taken back from the next quarters generated funds.

It could be? And we have discussed it, but ultimately up to the members.

one concern raised was the fact if smisa members money was used to pay for buses, (apart fom some cup games) arent we actually putting more cash in the coffers of whoever the home club is, rather than incentivising more people to get down to the 2021? Thats why my own personal opinion is it is better when/if the club did this. Only my opinion though.

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It could be? And we have discussed it, but ultimately up to the members.

one concern raised was the fact if smisa members money was used to pay for buses, (apart fom some cup games) arent we actually putting more cash in the coffers of whoever the home club is, rather than incentivising more people to get down to the 2021? Thats why my own personal opinion is it is better when/if the club did this. Only my opinion though.

LPM, definitely agree with the bit in bold that ultimately priority is driving attendance figures towards where St Mirren get the benefit. I guess the argument at this juncture would be that if, in this one instance, a large away support benefits in the fight to stay in The Championship it will be easier to get people down to the 2021 in the higher league.

It doesn't affect me personally as I'll unfortunately be driving (and my car is full to anyone looking for a lift) although as a SMiSA member I have an interest obviously.

2 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

LPM, definitely agree with the bit in bold that ultimately priority is driving attendance figures towards where St Mirren get the benefit. I guess the argument at this juncture would be that if, in this one instance, a large away support benefits in the fight to stay in The Championship it will be easier to get people down to the 2021 in the higher league.

It doesn't affect me personally as I'll unfortunately be driving (and my car is full to anyone looking for a lift) although as a SMiSA member I have an interest obviously.

I have circulated it to the smisa committee as well as our club board rep.

7 hours ago, HSS said:

7 hours ago, HSS said:

Great idea, just need to make sure the buses have toilets if opening the 1877 bar before we set off, I've got a weak bladder when drinking, lol

Edited by chalky1
double quote

8 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

I would usually travel to Ayr by train but since they have a replacement bus service between Kilwinning and Ayr it has put me off that option. The replacement bus services take forever as they need to stop at every station the train would have stopped so that would be Irvine, Barassie, Troon, Prestick Airport, Prestwick town then Newton on Ayr.. not exactly the quickest route!

Feck that. I would have went by train with the wee fella, im not familiar with the buses and which is most 'family friendly', if SMISA or the BOD were to put in place some plans i would certainly make sure that's at least 2 bums on seats!

I would agree that the club should look into laying on some buses, the trains are stopping at Kilwinning and being replaced by buses to Ayr that day,it will possibly put people off going and this game is equally if not more important than the Dundee cup game,which saw the club giving financial support to the travel clubs who in turn gave discounted travel to the fans who filled the buses.

I would suggest the best way to go about it would be the club asking the travel clubs to lay on an extra bus each and to charge fans the same price as the main bus, with a guarantee that if the cost of the bus is not met by the fares paid, then the club would make up the shortfall, if there is any. This would ensure the travel clubs don't lose customers to any buses run directly by the club and don't lose out financially if the buses are not filled.

I have also made this suggestion to the SMiSA committee.

I got a,very prompt,reply from David Nicol who said he would inform the BoD about the question of putting on buses.

Reading between the lines.........it may be to soon after subsidising buses for the Dumbarton game.

I emailed Scotrail about the service they are providing that day, letting them know their is likely to be a higher than normal demand for their service to Ayr and asking them as to whether it would be prudent for them to provide a direct bus service to / from Ayr that day. I suspect I know what the answer will be but hey ho, maybe the club should speak with them direct.