St Mirren v Hibs 1st March

8 hours ago, Stoobs said:

Steve McQueen didn't actually escape. Let's hope we do a James Coburn. I catch your drift though.

Virgil Hiltz (Steve McQueen ) escaped from the camp more times than anyone else , just like we escaped many times under Gus and it was exciting . . James Coburn's escape was tame by comparison. .

8 hours ago, FTOF said:

There's a first time for everything. Pity he behaved like an odious little turd and had to be spoken to by the ref, when the game was stopped after Cummings elbowed McKenzie in the face.

I assume this incident will be subject to the same sort of media scrutiny that we got when Goodwin elbowed someone (again)?

What a performance, the team were brilliant to a man, won every 50/50 didn't give hibs a second on the ball and forced them to stick 2 big guys up front and ping long balls at them for the last 20 minutes.

Could easily give McGinn MOTM for every game he's started since returning but Stelios was unbelievable tonight. Not just the goals, he was everywhere.. winning every tackle and cutting out every ball played down his side, he was taking the ball off of Morgans foot to run down the wing at 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. Special mention to Cammy Smith who's stood out last night and against Ayr, and Maggennis who was also brilliant .. he's really stepped up since McAllister left.

How O'Brien managed to make that double save I have no idea.. seemed like 2 tap ins.

Edited by irvine_buddie

You can't underestimate how good a win and performance that was last night. Playing against a team who's spine was ambrose (Nigerian international), mcgregor (rangers player of the year) McGinn (Full Scotland international), shinnie (ex Birmingham city, scotland u21 cap) Fyvie (ex Wigan, scotland u21 cap) and Cummings (touted as future Scotland striker) then they bring on grant holt (norwich legend) and James keatings (a player a lot of hearts fans were sad to see go) as subs. A team playing to win the league and promotion and we played them off the park. That wasn't just a good championship win that was up there with any win since the league cup run. You know that when someone like neil lennon comes out and says we're the best team they've played all season! Jack Ross is working miracles here. 

That's the best Saints performance I have seen in a very long time. I admit to have written them off up to now, but this is a completely different team from just a couple of months ago. There was fight and no shortage of skill on that park. McGinn has been a revelation so far and he seems to inspire the others by example. The defence seemed much more competent as well, despite some rough tactics by Hibernian, and Stelios was tremendous. What a difference to leave GHR and see people smiling. If the team plays like this on Saturday, Celtic will have to play some to win.

Congratulations to JR and the boys, play with this kind of determination and we have a good chance of survival. Incidentally I overheard quite a few Hibs fans after the game admitting they were surprised how good Saints were and deserved their win. Even Neil Lennon - despite having incurred the wrath of the crowd - was pleasantly complimentary to Saints in his after match radio summary.

55 minutes ago, Slash said:

Really enjoyed that last night. The backing we gave the team last night made a huge difference and matched the players performance from the 1st minute to the end of the game. We as fans need to continue to back this team no matter the opposition. I think it helped that the whole of the West Bank was St Mirren fans and the singing section was able to congregate.

onwards to Parkhead. COYS!

Great point about the West Bank being all ours, and creating space for a vocal section to get together far more easily. I maintain that singing section aside, the West Bank should always be all ours, to avoid one bloody lavvy being left for our use, and to allieviate the bottleneck of fans all using that one lavvy which is right next to the one catering stall that is for our use.

Suppose it comes down to economics, but I really hate the 'matchday experience' in a split West Bank. Just look at how it helped in multiple areas last night.

Get it sorted GLS. Get it sorted Efe Ambrose.

I have noticed the amount of goals scored in the 2nd half in recent games. 9 out of 11 maybe saying the new players are fitter than the ones they replace and are lasting the pace better. They have been 3 p/t teams among those we have beaten recently but good to see the players are not blowing out their arse early in the 2nd half. We have also scored in 15 out of our last 16 games so we have goals in the team. Hopefully the defence will continue to have shut outs and proved the result last night was no 1off.

20 minutes ago, Irate-Pirate said:

It's strange to think that most of these guys JR has brought in weren't deemed good enough to be playing regularly by their previous clubs.

Wycombe's midfield must be Barcalona-esqe (or a bunch of hatchet men) !

Your right, but they were someone on here saying that most of the players that left us in Jan went to teams in better positions than us :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Irate-Pirate said:

It's strange to think that most of these guys JR has brought in weren't deemed good enough to be playing regularly by their previous clubs.

I think it says more about the quality of Scottish football.

12 minutes ago, renfrew said:

I have noticed the amount of goals scored in the 2nd half in recent games. 9 out of 11 maybe saying the new players are fitter than the ones they replace and are lasting the pace better. They have been 3 p/t teams among those we have beaten recently but good to see the players are not blowing out their arse early in the 2nd half. We have also scored in 15 out of our last 16 games so we have goals in the team. Hopefully the defence will continue to have shut outs and proved the result last night was no 1off.

We've scored just after half time 2 games in a row aswell, good to see us catching teams cold rather than the other way round.

39 minutes ago, Irate-Pirate said:

That's the effect Jack Ross is having on these players,  his man management is meant to be 2nd to none. 

We have a gem of a manager on our hands.

Just taking time to think back through the team individually, they were excellent to a man. There were the obvious stand out performers like McGinn, Stelios and Mallan. But 2 guys I was delighted with who haven't been mentioned as much were Gary Irvine and Cammy Smith.

It was great to see Irvine finally playing in his own position, he's taken a lot of stick this season, but he had a quietly solid game and proved he's a good player when played on his natural side.

As for Smith, I thought he was excellent. He wasn't directly involved in either goal, but he was a constant nuisance for their defence. His central role was also key in stopping McGinn and Bartley playing out for Hibs, they were never given time to settle on the ball and pick out a pass. The amount of work Cammy got through last night was immense. We're definitely a better team with him in the side. How he wasn't getting a chance for United I'll never understand.

8 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Just taking time to think back through the team individually, they were excellent to a man. There were the obvious stand out performers like McGinn, Stelios and Mallan. But 2 guys I was delighted with who haven't been mentioned as much were Gary Irvine and Cammy Smith.

It was great to see Irvine finally playing in his own position, he's taken a lot of stick this season, but he had a quietly solid game and proved he's a good player when played on his natural side.

As for Smith, I thought he was excellent. He wasn't directly involved in either goal, but he was a constant nuisance for their defence. His central role was also key in stopping McGinn and Bartley playing out for Hibs, they were never given time to settle on the ball and pick out a pass. The amount of work Cammy got through last night was immense. We're definitely a better team with him in the side. How he wasn't getting a chance for United I'll never understand.

He fits perfectly into the system that Jack Ross wants to play. Jack has gone out and picked up players that suit how he wants to play and plays them to their strengths. We are starting to see the benefits of this, long may it continue.