Mobile Phones

faraway saint

Change in the law starts today, 6 points and £200 fine.

Is it enough, not In my opinion.

It's become an epidemic, resources are not at a high enough level to really impact on the amount of people who use a mobile in the car on a daily basis.

What would be a effective deterrent?

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, smcc said:

The fascist in me says that their cars should be crushed. Unfortunately, as Faraway says, the chances of catching them are slim.

It seems to me that the new penalties are unlikely to have any major effect.

How far do we go?

Well, if anyone had a family member killed by someone who was using a mobile phone I'm sure that a jail sentence would be closer to justice, although nothing could be seen as enough.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Is it enough, not I'm my opinion.

It's become an epidemic, resources are not at a high enough level to really impact on the amount of people who use a mobile in the car on a daily basis.

Confiscate their cars also.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Should we not also ban Radios,CD Players,Sat Navs,Smoking and even talking to passengers ?

I don't know, but mobile phones are banned so maybe people should just not use them?

Maybe, if you feel any of the above are dangerous, you should start a campaign?

Good luck with that. :byebye

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I think it is all our civic duty to report these stupid, ignorant people before they cause someone else serious injury or worse. We need to deal with this as a society that says "No" not on my watch sunshine!

only today whilst driving to my local diy shed i spotted one of the 'White Van-Man' brigade coming out of the Maccy-dees drive thru, alternating between munching his sausage and egg Mcmuffin and talking on his mobile. It crossed a line for me seeing that crass stupidity, so i took off after him through town, pulled out to get alongside him and only just managed to get a photo on my mobile of him in the act before having to swerve back to my side of the road to avoid some idiot in a Kia, honking and gesticulating, oblvious to what i was trying to achieve for all decent, hardworking, law abiding people.

there is a lesson there perhaps for us all, it came to me driving home as i fiddled in the glovebox for my T-rex eight track (retro as f**k BTW) and again when i could finally get back to finishing the crossword in the mini puzzler book strapped to my right thigh, the fact that not everyone is as conscientious as we may be.

Watching this

The only effective deterrent is to remove their licence for a minimum of 5 years.

That should also happen for speeding and tailgating.

At some point we as a society are going to wake up to the devastation caused by bastards who flout laws on these three things.

Until then more families will be forced to suffer.

I simply can't understand why this needs discussing. It should just be implemented.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Should we not also ban Radios,CD Players,Sat Navs,Smoking and even talking to passengers ?

Smoking yes. Sat Navs yes.

Radios, CDs and talking? Don't be daft.

If you can't understand the difference between these categories then there really is no helping you.

Is it seriously asking too much that you pull your car over to the side and park up before delving through your CD collection?

Do we really need to educate people about this sort of thing? :blink:

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It seems to me that the new penalties are unlikely to have any major effect.

How far do we go?

Well, if anyone had a family member killed by someone who was using a mobile phone I'm sure that a jail sentence would be closer to justice, although nothing could be seen as enough.

Killing someone in your car while doing things like using a phone, adjusting your sat nav, changing a CD, drink driving, lighting or smoking a cigarette or anything else which forces you to take your eyes off the road should come with a life sentence in jail.

Given the high tech world we live in, surely someone could come up with a scrambler device that could be fitted to all new cars and blocked the use of phones altogether. Let's face it, we survived for long enough as a species without them in our lives, never mind feeling the need to use them while driving.

As it goes, though, the technology is now being used to find yet more ways of distracting us while driving - big touchscreens that display text messages, etc. Bloody ridiculous. Absolutely unnecessary, and will only contribute to more accidents and injuries/fatalities on the roads.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Smoking yes. Sat Navs yes.

Radios, CDs and talking? Don't be daft.

If you can't understand the difference between these categories then there really is no helping you.

Is it seriously asking too much that you pull your car over to the side and park up before delving through your CD collection?

Do we really need to educate people about this sort of thing? :blink:

You're giving me a hard time for suggesting Radio and CD but you then suggest pulling into the side of the road to operate devices.How many people actually do that?

In another post you scoff at my suggestion eating can be dangerous then give an example of people eating cereal whilst driving.

A Wee bit mixed up today Oaky.

If I use my sat nav, I pre programme it before setting off, I do sometimes have a quick glance at the screen. If I think it is wrong I will pull over when safe to do say. The amount of delivery drivers in their vans driving whilst on the phone is shocking.

27 minutes ago, HSS said:

You're giving me a hard time for suggesting Radio and CD but you then suggest pulling into the side of the road to operate devices.How many people actually do that?

In another post you scoff at my suggestion eating can be dangerous then give an example of people eating cereal whilst driving.

A Wee bit mixed up today Oaky.

I'm not mixed up bud. If you know my history on here you will realise that I lost a close family member because of someone driving like an entitled c**t so forgive me for taking a hard line with flippant comments like yours.

We need to get drivers off the road who can't keep to speed limits, engage in tailgaiting and who use phones.

After that we'll get to those who would rather run the risk of killing someone rather than take 60 seconds to park up and change their CD.

Edited by oaksoft

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not mixed up bud. If you know my history on here you will realise that I lost a close family member because of someone driving like an entitled c**t so forgive me for taking a hard line with flippant comments like yours.

We need to get drivers off the road who can't keep to speed limits, engage in tailgaiting and who use phones.

After that we'll get to those who would rather run the risk of killing someone rather than take 60 seconds to park up and change their CD.

I'm not being flippant.I'm suggesting the bad habits I mentioned are every bit as bad as using a phone.You seem to agree but you give me a hard time for suggesting them.