Brexit vs (another) referendum

The Tory government couldn't care less if Scotland leave the UK or not as it will only strengthen their majority in the UK Parliament without the SNP MP's.

On the flip side the SNP couldn't run a bath and as the Paisley MSP can't be arsed trying to save the RAH Children's ward, it's a case of voting for the lesser of two evils.

I voted no very strongly last time - This time my vote is up for grabs. I am firmly in the "Haven't got a clue where to put my X camp".

14 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

The Tory government couldn't care less if Scotland leave the UK or not as it will only strengthen their majority in the UK Parliament without the SNP MP's.

On the flip side the SNP couldn't run a bath and as the Paisley MSP can't be arsed trying to save the RAH Children's ward, it's a case of voting for the lesser of two evils.

I voted no very strongly last time - This time my vote is up for grabs. I am firmly in the "Haven't got a clue where to put my X camp".

All I'd say at this stage is to reiterate my earlier point. This isn't just about the SNP. People don't need to endorse or support the SNP to consider independence as a positive option for Scotland.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Sadly, it seems we are already at the point whereby people who might have a different view to others are being referred to as "clowns".

Bloody cybernats....oh,wait!

Would just like to point out that I was responding to saintnextlifeline who referred to wee Nicky. It was she I was calling a clown. And I always call virtually all MP's clowns with only a handful of exceptions. I don't like our party political system. Never have.

When it comes to talking about shitting themselves, I was amazed by the reaction of Merkel et al in the EU at the Brexit vote.They were bricking themselves even more than Cameron and he had diahorrea. Nothing has changed my opinion that we should have stayed in the EU until it implodes fairly soon. It's a busted flush and more and more people in Europe are beginning to realise that.

Guest TPAFKATS
Meanwhile, who is going to fix the potholes in the Scottish Region of the European Union? 

That'll be the responsibility of the local cooncil (with the exception of trunk roads).

Guest TPAFKATS

Kids wards are always an emotive issue. I'm not sure a clear case was put forward for the RAH other than it's local and we want to keep it?
Either way, it should be a decision for the local health board, IMO, not the government.

Guest TPAFKATS
Fair point and one that my Mrs agrees with. She thinks that the last thing we need is another referendum but it might be the last chance to get rid of the ultra right wing for another 30 years.

Could also be the best way for you to get rid of snp. 2 birds one stone?

Kids wards are always an emotive issue. I'm not sure a clear case was put forward for the RAH other than it's local and we want to keep it?
Either way, it should be a decision for the local health board, IMO, not the government.

I don't disagree about the Health Board making the decision but surely our elected representatives for the area could have at least went through the motions instead of complaining they couldn't get a Big Mac in the High Street.

Anyway - let's hope for 3 points on Wednesday.

21 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

That'll be the responsibility of the local cooncil (with the exception of trunk roads).

Why are they not fixing Bowfield Drive and Bowfield Crescent in Penilee ? 

These 2 roads are in a disgraceful condition and have been for years. 

I don't ask for much, just smooth roads, part time football and very cheap football admission prices. 

1 hour ago, El Gingero said:

Fair point and one that my Mrs agrees with. She thinks that the last thing we need is another referendum but it might be the last chance to get rid of the ultra right wing for another 30 years.

I am pretty sure that once independence is achieved, we'll see the SNP vote start to fall away.

Some votes (perhaps mine) will go to the Tories if I can trust them to behave and some will go to Labour, LibDem, Greens.

I am sure that we have seen the last single majority party.

I think we'll be looking at the SNP and Tories around the 45 seat mark with Labour on about 20 and the rest making up the numbers with either minority SNP government or a Tory minority government.

Can't see it changing much from that for many years.

Probably a fair reflection of where Scotland is politically.

The Greater Glasgow Health Board apologised for not disclosing that George Adam had actually been corresponding with them regarding the closure.

I'm not sure if the scottish branch leader of the labour party has apologised as well now that the full facts are known.

Writing a letter is a lot different than standing outside with a placard and supporting the families in the local and national media.

Opinions and all that.

Guest TPAFKATS
I don't ask for much, just smooth roads, part time football and very cheap football admission prices. 

Have you asked Glasgow City Council, instead of asking me?

1 hour ago, El Gingero said:

Writing a letter is a lot different than standing outside with a placard and supporting the families in the local and national media.

Opinions and all that.

Yes it certainly is.

The former is a far more constructive thing to do.

The latter is simply posturing for the cameras. You'd need to be pretty naive to think that wasn't why politicians engage in that sort of tactic.

I know what I would prefer if I ever had a problem which needed my MSP and it wouldn't be the latter.

Just now, El Gingero said:

I really couldn't give a toss. But "he" is obviously in the know a lot more than I am so I will bow to his greater knowledge and withdraw my criticism of the member concerned.

Yeah I couldn't care less either. I just hate all this "religious" pish that when you follow a party somehow you can't be objective.

3 hours ago, shull said:

Have you given up on cheap pies?

11 hours ago, Drew said:

The SNP are a political party. The option of independence is a constitutional matter, and, as such transcends the narrow party policies.

I'm not an SNP supporter, but I want Scotland to be independent. Unlike the SNP, however, I would like Scotland to be a republic, and to be out of NATO. Fundamental differences, then, but I can wholeheartedly support their policy on independence.

People too often lose sight of the fact that an independent Scotland won't be a totalitarian SNP state in perpetuity. There will be free and open elections, and people in Scotland can choose who they want to govern. That choice will no doubt be based on many factors, including views on whether we should remain/join Europe.

Let's not conflate the campaign for independence with support of the SNP government and/or Scotland being in the EU.

I'm afraid my trust of Sturgeon ran out with her "Named Person " legislation that she tried to put through. Whilst I would still like to see my country gain self determinism , outside of any Union , who is going to lead us there , wee Nicky ? Personally I wouldn't trust any of the leaders we have in Scotland at the moment .

Yes , I agree with you on a Scotland outwith NATO but the SNP have already backpeddled on this one and they have also confirmed that the Queen would remain head of state . I know you would like a referedum on these issues but l doubt you'd ever get it . wee Nicky is the head of a political party but they only really have two policies which they focus on : Europe at all costs and independence in Europe at all costs . .

Finally , we cant keep having referendums on independence every couple of years . If there is another one now it is likely to be the last which is sad since it is right to have self determinism but not right now and not whilst she wants us to be in the basket case known as Europe. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

36 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I'm afraid my trust of Sturgeon ran out with her "Named Person " legislation that she tried to put through. Whilst I would still like to see my country gain self determinism , outside of any Union , who is going to lead us there , wee Nicky ? Personally I wouldn't trust any of the leaders we have in Scotland at the moment .

Yes , I agree with you on a Scotland outwith NATO but the SNP have already backpeddled on this one and they have also confirmed that the Queen would remain head of state . I know you would like a referedum on these issues but l doubt you'd ever get it . wee Nicky is the head of a political party but they only really have two policies which they focus on : Europe at all costs and independence in Europe at all costs . .

Finally , we cant keep having referendums on independence every couple of years . If there is another one now it is likely to be the last which is sad since it is right to have self determinism but not right now and not whilst she wants us to be in the basket case known as Europe. .

You seem fixed on the SNP, Neil. You can't put your issues with them to one side and focus on the main prize?

I'd also be genuinely interested to hear what your main objections to the NP scheme are (albeit it is a bit off topic)?

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I'd be interested to hear what your concerns are regarding the scheme.

49 minutes ago, Drew said:

You seem fixed on the SNP, Neil. You can't put your issues with them to one side and focus on the main prize?

I'd also be genuinely interested to hear what your main objections to the NP scheme are (albeit it is a bit off topic)?

The named person bill is the worst thing the SNP have brought in.

It is an intrusion on private families and more importantly it passes power to other people over your family.

I dont know how many times we have to learn the lesson that when you hand power to people they invariably cant help but abuse it.

41 minutes ago, Drew said:

Can someone explain in what way the NP scheme is intrusive?

Probably not. 

On a serious note, any action taken to protect children will of necessity be intrusive. The named person act will not lead to any new intrusion into family life, the only think it will do is let the various agencies involved share their data ( which arguably they can now).  

The problem some people seem to have is the idea that a teacher will know about any social concerns or a medical practitioner now about  any child protection issues. 

The opponents of this act seem to think that child protection is less important than any potential embarrassment suffered by families that only have a little bit of trouble in their family .

2 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Probably not. 

On a serious note, any action taken to protect children will of necessity be intrusive. The named person act will not lead to any new intrusion into family life, the only think it will do is let the various agencies involved share their data ( which arguably they can now).  

The problem some people seem to have is the idea that a teacher will know about any social concerns or a medical practitioner now about  any child protection issues. 

The opponents of this act seem to think that child protection is less important than any potential embarrassment suffered by families that only have a little bit of trouble in their family .

It should be remembered that it isn't just about child protection. It is also about health and welfare.

A NP can be approached, for example, to assist a parent in accessing speech and language therapy services,or advice about child care options.

Funnily enough, we don't hear about that so much.