Brexit vs (another) referendum

Guest TPAFKATS
Why is it relevant if the leader is elected or not as the decision would, almost certainly, the same?

Personally, I don't think it's relevant other than the irony of the FM being elected on the mandate if a very possible indy ref being told by a PM who hasn't been elected.
Also not sure the decision would necessarily have been the same from a different PM?

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Personally, I don't think it's relevant other than the irony of the FM being elected on the mandate if a very possible indy ref being told by a PM who hasn't been elected.
Also not sure the decision would necessarily have been the same from a different PM?

Taking it that the current circumstances were the same I doubt there would have been a different decision.

All "whataboutery" so no real point pinging this point about.

Still waiting on the evidence there's next to no child abuse right enough. :whistle

Why is it relevant if the leader is elected or not as the decision would, almost certainly, the same?

It's ironic, yes, but it highlights the hypocrisy of her actions. Unelected leader tells elected leader you can't do what the people elected you to do. Can't make it any simpler than that.

1 minute ago, salmonbuddie said:

It's ironic, yes, but it highlights the hypocrisy of her actions. Unelected leader tells elected leader you can't do what the people elected you to do. Can't make it any simpler than that.

Sorry still don't see the relevance?

The circumstances of her being the leader make no difference to her decision making, making her no better or worse and certainly not hypocritical.

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It's all politics and no-one really has the moral high ground but I guess it's that she inherited her position because of a miscalculation by her predecessor and arguably played it quite deviously during the Brexit campaign making one half-hearted speech in favour of remaining after years of being a Eurosceptic. If the Bill is passed in Holyrood next week (?) it'll clearly be May who's stalling - as ever perfidious Albion.

Meanwhile Gordon Brown "the man wot won the last referendum for the NO camp" last time around has called for even more powers to be devolved to Scotland surely at odds with both Corbyn and Dugdale - could the Labour Party be any more divided?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39309133

The former Labour prime minister suggested the Scottish government be given the power to set VAT rates and sign international treaties.

Would that include the power to negotiate a separate deal with the EU? :wacko:

It's hard to come to any conclusion other than May is scared we'd vote to leave and put her in an even weaker position with regards to the Brexit negotiations.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS

How can Gordon "federalism" Brown call for more powers when his 2014 intervention made us "the most powerful devolved parliament in the world"?

As for May she needs to have fishing rights to use as a bargaining chip for City of London financial.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

How can Gordon "federalism" Brown call for more powers when his 2014 intervention made us "the most powerful devolved parliament in the world"?

As for May she needs to have fishing rights to use as a bargaining chip for City of London financial.

As ever it comes down to protecting the interests of LondonLand against the rest of the country.

5 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

You ask that yet you ignore my mud wrestling photo?

This forum has never been especially strong on good taste and long may it continue as long as it doesn't descend into the outright abuse we used to get from "the Prince ower the watter".

I completely forgot about that :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

Sorry still don't see the relevance?
The circumstances of her being the leader make no difference to her decision making, making her no better or worse and certainly not hypocritical.

Maybe this will help

89150e2ac598d7771072a97609bac11b.jpg

Seeing the hypocrisy yet?

1 hour ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

https://greens.scot/blog/patrick-s-open-reply-to-tory-msp-s-anti-independence-letter

More Patrick Harvie, less Salmond in the next Indyref.

Sorry, but no.  His rabble rousing soundbites sound great in a debate when all anyone wants to hear is what the tories and SNP say..  Put him under intense scrutiny and he will unravel

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Sorry, but no.  His rabble rousing soundbites sound great in a debate when all anyone wants to hear is what the tories and SNP say..  Put him under intense scrutiny and he will unravel

Maybe. He was the one that consistently impressed me in the live debates during the last referendum but he wasn't put under pressure.

I'd say he is still by far a much better politician than the Dug and Ruth, although that isn't that difficult.

Guest TPAFKATS
Maybe. He was the one that consistently impressed me in the live debates during the last referendum but he wasn't put under pressure.
I'd say he is still by far a much better politician than the Dug and Ruth, although that isn't that difficult.

Ah, that might be the case but he's no Wullie Rennie.