Brexit vs (another) referendum

On 3/21/2017 at 3:35 PM, beyond our ken said:

Sorry, but no.  His rabble rousing soundbites sound great in a debate when all anyone wants to hear is what the tories and SNP say..  Put him under intense scrutiny and he will unravel

And his support for a 60% top tax rate destroys his credibility.

As does his support for closing down the old forth road bridge and leaving it sitting almost totally empty when the new bridge opens to 5 mile tailbacks on the opening day.

People who hold views like this really cannot be in positions of power or influence.

to get a measure of how popular Sturgeon is in Scotland and how much of a mandate she has its worth considering this fact

at the 2016 election, Sturgeon gained 25.9% of votes from the electorate

in 1979, Thatcher gained 24.1%

in other words, give or take, Sturgeon is as popular in Scotland as Thatcher :lol:

Edited by mcdowell76

to get a measure of how popular Sturgeon is in Scotland and how much of a mandate she has its worth considering this fact
in other words, give or take, Sturgeon is as popular in Scotland as Thatcher [emoji38]

As a wise man once said, "Lies, damn lies and statistics."

Come on then, source, so we can all point and laugh.

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

in other words, give or take, Sturgeon is as popular in Scotland as Thatcher :lol:

And that is the problem with statistics right there.

In the hands of ill-educated people or those with an agenda, they can be manipulated any way you like.

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

Deary dear---- The Daily Star reader strikes again!!!:fishwallop

Guest TPAFKATS

May in Scotland today refusing to recognise the legitimacy of the Scottish Parliament voting for another referendum.
She seems to be doing all she can to get people against her, same as with Brexit process.

Guest TPAFKATS

Dont they have a English votes for English issues at Westminster.

I'm sure such a democratic place would allow only Scottish MP's a vote on a Scottish issue.

Now remind me what's the breakdown of Scottish MP's parties? [emoji23]

I'd have thought her time today might've been better spent visiting Norn Ireland as opposed to turning up in West of Scotland spouting vacuous 'soundbites'

Guest TPAFKATS

You got a new stalker, T? Or is it the same one? Same patter anyway.

Same old, same old...

Not sure what his point was regarding me either. The quote function may have assisted his witty retort.

I'll not lose any sleep.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, mcdowell76 said:

Unfortunately, people who don't vote don't count. And you're comparing apples with oranges. At the 2016 Scottish Parliamentary elections consituency vote, SNP did indeed poll 25.9% of the electorate, but 46.5% of those who actually turned out. The Tories polled 12% of the electorate, or 22% of those who actually turned out. This was due to a relatively low turnout - 55.6% turnout in 2016 compared to 75.6% in 1979. The fact that there were only two main political parties in 1979 made it an almost straight fight between Labour and Tories. These days the two combined can't match the SNP vote.

Now, taking the Westminster election in 2015, which compares more readily with Thatcher's 24.1%, the SNP polled 35.5% of the electorate (compared with 10.5% for the Tories) This was 49.9% of those who actually voted in the SNP's case (14.9% for Tories)

A mandate relies  on people voting. Those who can't be bothered voting do not get a say, and are irrelvant to democracy. Hope this all helps.

Unfortunately, people who don't vote don't count. And you're comparing apples with oranges. At the 2016 Scottish Parliamentary elections consituency vote, SNP did indeed poll 25.9% of the electorate, but 46.5% of those who actually turned out. The Tories polled 12% of the electorate, or 22% of those who actually turned out. This was due to a relatively low turnout - 55.6% turnout in 2016 compared to 75.6% in 1979. The fact that there were only two main political parties in 1979 made it an almost straight fight between Labour and Tories. These days the two combined can't match the SNP vote.

Now, taking the Westminster election in 2015, which compares more readily with Thatcher's 24.1%, the SNP polled 35.5% of the electorate (compared with 10.5% for the Tories) This was 49.9% of those who actually voted in the SNP's case (14.9% for Tories)

A mandate relies  on people voting. Those who can't be bothered voting do not get a say, and are irrelvant to democracy. Hope this all helps.

You're wasting your time, he's trolling hoping for someone to do precisely this so he feels empowered by "making" you provide the figures. That's why I asked him twice for the source of his claimed figures, once he provides it we can use it to point and laugh at his failure to understand simple arithmetic.

You're wasting your time, he's trolling hoping for someone to do precisely this so he feels empowered by "making" you provide the figures. That's why I asked him twice for the source of his claimed figures, once he provides it we can use it to point and laugh at his failure to understand simple arithmetic.

It's no bother mate - only took me a few moments to find his source as above. Comparing separate Parliamentary election results from 40 years apart is pointless, when the landscape of politics has changed entirely.

I know, I did the same but still think he needs calling on it. The pointlessness of his comparison is the point and laugh part. Well, one of the many constituent parts of point and laugh with this particular poster...

:)

Seemingly we're going to spend £500M - yes, that's right, 500 million pounds - to have blue passports again.

Oh, and the small matter of going to war with Spain over Gibraltar. f**king Gibraltar!

Are you YES yet?

Guest TPAFKATS
Seemingly we're going to spend £500M - yes, that's right, 500 million pounds - to have blue passports again.
Oh, and the small matter of going to war with Spain over Gibraltar. f**king Gibraltar!
Are you YES yet?

Michael Howard tried to explain his War with Spain over Gibraltar shite on Channel 4 news. An utter car crash of an interview.
https://www.channel4.com/news/lord-howard-defends-falklands-comments

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I don't think they ever did threaten this. It was more a case of unionist-minded media chatter than anything else, with a few minor Spanish politicians being (mis)quoted. The likes of Murdo Fraser and Willie Rennie no doubt jumped on it in order to deflect from the fact that they are wholly devoid of any political competence in terms of formulating coherent arguments of their own.

22 hours ago, Drew said:

Are you YES yet?

I was in Gibraltar last year. A Barbary Macaque shat on my camera bag. Give Spain the fcuking place and make tapas out of those monkey basturts. :)

I learned that they aren't Barbary Apes. No matter, a Macaque cnut shat on my bag. 

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS
I was in Gibraltar last year. A Barbary Macaque shat on my camera bag. Give Spain the fcuking place and make tapas out of those monkey basturts. [emoji4]
I learned that they aren't Barbary Apes. No matter, a Macaque cnut shat on my bag. 

Aye, Macaques are even worse than Geordies it seems.[emoji15]