Danny Lennon interview

Guest TPAFKATS

Guest TPAFKATS

Interview with DL in both Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/tommy-craig-knifed-back-st-9995805

and also The Hootsman

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/rise-of-austin-macphee-was-resented-at-st-mirren-lennon-1-4387509

Interestingly he claims he was stabbed in the back by Tommy Craig who also resented McPhee's involvement.

Seems Craig was bad mouthing Lennon and McPhee to players. Makes his appointment as DL's replacement by the previous board all the more bizarre!

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Interview with DL in both Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/tommy-craig-knifed-back-st-9995805

and also The Hootsman

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/rise-of-austin-macphee-was-resented-at-st-mirren-lennon-1-4387509

Interestingly he claims he was stabbed in the back by Tommy Craig who also resented McPhee's involvement.

Seems Craig was bad mouthing Lennon and McPhee to players. Makes his appointment as DL's replacement by the previous board all the more bizarre!

For me I found it interesting that Lennon claimed Craig had also bad mouthed him to the BoD and that Thompson and Teale seemed to largely back up Lennon's claims that Craig would try and unpick and undo what Lennon tried to do in a coaching session and would go in a huff in Lennon or McPhee did any coaching! The two former players also seemed to agree with Lennon's claims that Craig's methods were old school and repetitive and he had no rapport with the players. Teale went as far as to say Lennon's only main mistake as St Mirren manager was not to get rid of Tommy Craig after it became clear they were divided as a management team during their final 6-12 months together. (Given Teale was promoted to assistant manager / coach by Tommy Craig you might have expected him to be more diplomatic / neutral in response to DL's interview)

The players did credit Tommy Craig as being good with younger players at coaching them in the basics and having lots of experience to pass on, and it was mentioned Craig's coaching and his emphasis on passing was part of the reason why the team played entertaining football in the season where Teale, Thompson, Goodwin etc all signed.

55 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Chick Young was class when speaking about the signing of Callum Ball as well making the point that everyone could tell by looking at him that he wasn't fit enough to be a professional footballer playing in the SPL.

Exactly ! I said at the time that Craig thought so highly of Scottish football that he believed English lower and non league players could do a job here. This of course was found to be nonsense, as was the appointment of Craig. Lennon latterly proved also to be useless and ought to have been removed a year before he eventually was. His subsequent managerial record proves this. I blame neither Lennon, Craig, Teale, Rae or Murray, it was the incompetents who employed them who are to blame for our current plight.

Good to hear folk being honest and outspoken for once, but I wish DL had been strong enough to have sacked Craig once he realised he was being back stabbed especially with players coming to him reporting trouble at the club. Where was the board at this point ??? [emoji57]

3 minutes ago, Big Jake said:

Good to hear folk being honest and outspoken for once, but I wish DL had been strong enough to have sacked Craig once he realised he was being back stabbed especially with players coming to him reporting trouble at the club. Where was the board at this point ??? emoji57.png

Could Lennon have sacked Craig? I reckon the only thing he could have done is go to the Board and say "it's him or me" and the likely outcome is that it would have been him (Lennon).

Could Lennon have sacked Craig? I reckon the only thing he could have done is go to the Board and say "it's him or me" and the likely outcome is that it would have been him (Lennon).

More than likely , unfortunately [emoji53]
Old board not coming out very well with these stories. Advised by experienced football people to avoid TC as manager but still continued. He wouldn't even have cost a coin to get rid of as he was also out of contract. Easy and lazy option in my opinion.

I listened to the interview via the BBC website on the podcast player.  One must say what a bloody good interview that was, not only that but the further discussion and analysis from the Thommhawk, The Chic Youngster and Mr G Teale was also agreeable.

The appointment of young Thomas Craig was indeed a disaster and it was somewhat refreshing to hear such an honest interview.  Thank you again Daniel Lennon and as ever I wish you all the best in your future career you decent man you.

Wardlaw has a f**king cheek.  Plucked from obscurity and ultimately given the chance to play in the top league.

I wonder if he reckons he should have been kept on and would have been part of the cup winning team:lol:

Edited by Drew

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Wardlaw has a f**king cheek.  Plucked from obscurity and ultimately given the chance to play in the top league.

I wonder if he reckons he should have been kept on and would have been part of the cup winning team:lol:

From memory him and Potter claim they were both told they'd be staying then didn't get offered contracts. On that basis he's probably justified being a bit annoyed when the manager responsible moans about being stabbed in the back.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

From memory him and Potter claim they were both told they'd be staying then didn't get offered contracts. On that basis he's probably justified being a bit annoyed when the manager responsible moans about being stabbed in the back.

I'm afraid that's how it seems to work in fitba. Bit of a bummer, but mediocre journeymen should never take anything for granted.

Edited by Drew

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Like I said on the other thread the story regards to Potter, at least, was that he'd been offered a new deal during the January transfer window but had stalled till relegation was avoided,- maybe three months, by which time IIRC he was no longer an automatic starter - if that's indeed the case then I don't feel that sorry for him. I'm not sure about Wardlaw but giving up a job as a postman to play f/t football after turning 30 would have been a big decision and obviously he feels he was due more from Lennon but being a manager has its own risks - if you dish out contracts based on sentiment then you're liable to lose your own. I suppose we tend to forget it's peoples livelihoods we're talking about and in these circumstances people tend to nurse their grievances.

As for Lennon and whether Craig/Teale/Goodwin were guilty of backstabbing It all depends on the circumstances, walking into a "dead man's shoes" is a common way to get promoted. I guess it's whether or not you've agitated to get the job behind your colleagues back which is Lennon's accusation regarding Craig.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

I listened to the interview via the BBC website on the podcast player.  One must say what a bloody good interview that was, not only that but the further discussion and analysis from the Thommhawk, The Chic Youngster and Mr G Teale was also agreeable.

The appointment of young Thomas Craig was indeed a disaster and it was somewhat refreshing to hear such an honest interview.  Thank you again Daniel Lennon and as ever I wish you all the best in your future career you decent man you.

Says the forum member who usually called him "Wee clueless" and called for Daniel Lennon's head before and after the League Cup win.

Does your surname begin with a C at all TT?

5 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Dont understand that twitter patter can anyone tell me what "chat shit get skittle bombed" means?

skittlebomb is Wardlaws Twatter name.

Presumably DVZ is claiming Danny was talking shite on the radio and that Wardlaw has now apparently "skittlebombed him" in response.

WGAS TBH.

I don't remember any of us crying over these players leaving.

Danny might have changed his mind about offering them a new contracts but there is absolutely no doubt that he was correct.

We went on to win a national Cup for the first time since microshorts for footballers were fashionable so quite honestly all these ex-players can go f**k themselves.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Dont understand that twitter patter can anyone tell me what "chat shit get skittle bombed" means?

Skittle bomb is Gareth Wardlaw's twitter name. I'm guessing DVZ is claiming that if DL talks rubbish then he invites a ripposte from Gareth Wardlaw (and Lee Mair and Jon McShane).