Oh Yes The Stranglers

Must admit I hang on to the brilliant memories of seeing The Stranglers and The Ruts at different gigs in Glasgow late 70s.  Saw The Ruts in Edinburgh too and travelled back in the paper van. Did see The Stranglers 10 years ago at the V Festival and it didn't get near those experiences though to be fair I really wasn't expecting it to be.  Still remember listening to the great John Peel announce that Malcolm Owen had died. :( 

Saw The Ruts DC support The Damned in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. The main difference in the crowd between then and in '77 was that in '77 you coyld see round them but not over them. Now the reverse is true. Last saw The Stranglers at Belladrum in 2015, one of the last time's they'd pretend Jet Black was behind the kit the whole gig, hiding behind overtly raised rototoms, whilst sneaking on the new boy after a few songs. Haven't seen the classic line up since almost exactly 30 years ago in March 1987 at the Barras.

On 10/03/2017 at 1:10 PM, FS said:

Saw The Ruts DC support The Damned in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. The main difference in the crowd between then and in '77 was that in '77 you coyld see round them but not over them. Now the reverse is true. Last saw The Stranglers at Belladrum in 2015, one of the last time's they'd pretend Jet Black was behind the kit the whole gig, hiding behind overtly raised rototoms, whilst sneaking on the new boy after a few songs. Haven't seen the classic line up since almost exactly 30 years ago in March 1987 at the Barras.

the chrome domes when the lights go up tae :lol:

Really enjoyed the gig last night. Had a beer with the Ruts after their slot really cool guys telling me all about last years album which they mostly perfomrd at the show. Stranglers were very good. Walked to McSorleys where a good cores band were playing. All in all very enjoyable day. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

12 hours ago, David Mc said:

Terri Hooley was (and probably still is) a great guy.  Used to post me the records I ordered himself.

Think the shop closed and opened again the odd time over the years, certainly wasn't open when I was in Belfast recently. Terri's still on the go though.

• 2 weeks later...

Stranglers sold out in Cambridge tonight but just picked up a couple of spares :clapping

Going to see them for the 17th time, met them on the stage at Glasgow Apollo

in 1978 after jj threatened the bouncers and they all fucked off, never forget

sitting along the edge of the stage and the stranglers belting out five minutes :clapping

remained my heroes (no pun intended) ever since then

not sure about the ruts, I only rate bablyons burning.

On 25/03/2017 at 2:01 PM, Hoof Hearted said:

Stranglers sold out in Cambridge tonight but just picked up a couple of spares :clapping

Going to see them for the 17th time, met them on the stage at Glasgow Apollo

in 1978 after jj threatened the bouncers and they all fucked off, never forget

sitting along the edge of the stage and the stranglers belting out five minutes :clapping

remained my heroes (no pun intended) ever since then

not sure about the ruts, I only rate bablyons burning.

Must have been sitting near you on that stage?

Just reviewing the title of this thread and thinking I have seen Yes and I've seen the Stranglers. Yes were better.

I also think I can remember seeing The Members in The Bungalow around 1980. Is that ringing a bell with anyone else?