Buses/Trains For Final

HSS

14 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I accept the invite. It might be fun to be educated.

The primary properties of visible light are intensitypropagation directionfrequency or wavelength spectrum, and polarisation, while its speed in a vacuum, 299,792,458 metres per second, is one of the fundamental constants of nature.

Over to you

:withstupid

I Theorise St Mirren might win the cup

Open up google scholar and search for "speed of light may not be a constant". Science cannot "prove" statements like the one you made. It can only provide a body of evidence to backup a theory.

There is also no such thing as a true vacuum because that would require zero pressure. Zero pressure would require a temperature of zero Kelvin which has never been achieved and I am pretty sure will never be achieved. It would be exciting if it COULD be achieved because then we would have seen a violation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the whole of Quantum Mechanics would need to be revisited.

So even the speed of light is a theory. This is the beauty of science. All areas can be upended if you have evidence.

As for your properties of light, science spent at least 300 to 400 years arguing over what light actually is. Electrodynamics theory seems to offer the best current idea that it is particle based and not a wave at all but no doubt others will try and disprove this.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Open up google scholar and search for "speed of light may not be a constant". Science cannot "prove" statements like the one you made. It can only provide a body of evidence to backup a theory.

There is also no such thing as a true vacuum because that would require zero pressure. Zero pressure would require a temperature of zero Kelvin which has never been achieved and I am pretty sure will never be achieved. It would be exciting if it COULD be achieved because then we would have seen a violation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the whole of Quantum Mechanics would need to be revisited.

So even the speed of light is a theory. This is the beauty of science. All areas can be upended if you have evidence.

As for your properties of light, science spent at least 300 to 400 years arguing over what light actually is. Electrodynamics theory seems to offer the best current idea that it is particle based and not a wave at all but no doubt others will try and disprove this.

As you rightly say "Science cannot "prove" statements" So I'll skip Google scholar.

I heard today from a scientist that drinking a glass of red wine every night before bed prevents heart disease.

Now there's an experiment worth participating in.

Get a big Glass

Drink Red Wine

ignore the headache. 

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Scientific Research

3 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

As you rightly say "Science cannot "prove" statements" So I'll skip Google scholar.

I heard today from a scientist that drinking a glass of red wine every night before bed prevents heart disease.

You can tell that scientist that they are engaging in statistics not science.

And if they actually made that statement without using the word "might" then that person is a quack.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, East Lothian Saint said:

To be fair. I'm not really sure he was a real scientist. I suspect he may have been a Red Wine Salesman.

Lies, damn Lies and statistics.

Well perhaps that is a job he is better suited to.

You on the other hand....coming on here.....spouting your pseudo-scientific guff.......there should be some kind of law....

Glad to have been of assistance in your re-education. I hope you found it entertaining.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Well perhaps that is a job he is better suited to.

You on the other hand....coming on here.....spouting your pseudo-scientific guff.......there should be some kind of law....

Glad to have been of assistance in your re-education. I hope you found it entertaining.

Some say Guff is a pseudo Science.

with no value in it's appliance.

But when Life gets Dull

Like Oaksoft and Shull

I just Guff away in Defiance.

I fought the law

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Aye. Our town centres are notorious for seeing regular fights on Saturday nights involving people off their tits on bacon and sausage.

A Captain once told me never trust a person who does not drink. I don't know why but there are people who drink responsibley and have a good time myself include. 

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Who cares , I'm sure the humble photon does not. .

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Or, as James Clerk Maxwell was wont to say, 

"Who gives a photon?".

:)

Given that he died around 50 years before the word was first used I would say not.

He would be more likely to say "zero flux given".

THAT should be on a t-shirt.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Who cares , I'm sure the humble photon does not. .

Fortunately for you and the 7 billion other idiots living a life of comfort on the backs of the "boring" discoveries of science and engineering, just enough of us DO care to allow you the ability to watch TV, have a flush toilet, cook your dinner safely, drink fresh water, keep warm with clothing, have a tolerable life and type your banal shite on the internet using your phone. Let's be honest, no other f**ker has provided any of this.

We really need a "telt" smiley emoticon thingy. No point asking you to design one eh? :D

Edited by oaksoft

22 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I've read this twice now, I'm still not sure if I should get the bus or train tomorrow.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that he died around 50 years before the word was first used I would say not.

He would be more likely to say "zero flux given".

THAT should be on a t-shirt.

You obviously don't know your Gallovegian.  Photon goes way back...

A Photon is a particularly dense cowpat, laid on the lee side of a Brae.

the t shirt is a good idea.  Think I've seen it on xkcd.