Glastonbury 2017

faraway saint

47 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

heard one of his tunes the other day, it sounded like someone had gotten drunk whilst listening to a loop of "there goes rhymin' Simon and Gracelands, woken up in the morning and thought they had a new tune of their own in their head.

He's OK, I suppose

Aye, it's just as well we don't all like the same music.

I'm sure he'll go down very well with the Glastonbury crowd.

Edited by faraway saint

16 minutes ago, Luther G. Presley said:

Glastonbury used to be a decent festival but it's now getting more and more like T in the park with too many pop acts in the lineup, and now headlining.

I suppose the organisers would argue that the fact it sells out every year, even before the acts are announced, would disagree that's not "decent".

It's changing, that what music does, nothing stays the same.

I'm sure the public who attend this festival are quite happy with the current product.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Music? Ed Sheeran? :lol:

You know there there is life beyond the Charts don't you?

Music! Give me a break.

Oh dear, another music snob, although you are a snob in every sense of the word so no surprise there. :byebye

Another, in a long line, who don't suggest anything better. :lol:

There there, right enough. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oh dear, another music snob, although you are a snob in every sense of the word so no surprise there. :byebye

Another, in a long line, who don't suggest anything better. :lol:

There there, right enough. :rolleyes:

I can suggest something much better.

Shut down Glastonbury.

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

After Adele last year does it really matter?

I'll be going to see Al Stewart who played at the first Glastonbury (before it was even called Glastonbury!) in May.

Old hippies never die, altho' it doesn't always smell that way! :green

Indeed.

She went down a bomb so, as I said, things change, especially music.

Read this earlier, sums up quite a few posts.

Complaining about headliners at the Glastonbury festival has become something of a national pastime (frequently indulged in by people who never attend and only watch highlights on TV). It may all have started with Noel Gallagher’s patently ridiculous remarks about Jay Z in 2008: “I’m not having hip hop at Glastonbury. It’s wrong.” Jay Z came out with an acoustic guitar, played Wonderwall and had the crowd eating out of his hands and Gallagher eating his words. But every year since then it seems like there have been grumblings about the headliners. Artists are too old, too young, too rock, too pop, too hip, too uncool, too something for somebody somewhere. Last year it was Adele’s turn, the most universally popular star in the whole world accused of being too “boring” for Glastonbury. A chatty woman in an evening gown singing middle of the road ballads may have been about as far from notions of rock and roll spectacle as you can imagine but it was actually very moving, perhaps for the very reason that Adele defied some nefarious outdated notion of what a rock festival is supposed to be about. Well that and the songs. Her set was gorgeous and fantastic, uniting people in song and bringing a beautiful female energy to Saturday night on the Pyramid stage.

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed.

She went down a bomb so, as I said, things change, especially music.

Read this earlier, sums up quite a few posts.

Complaining about headliners at the Glastonbury festival has become something of a national pastime (frequently indulged in by people who never attend and only watch highlights on TV). It may all have started with Noel Gallagher’s patently ridiculous remarks about Jay Z in 2008: “I’m not having hip hop at Glastonbury. It’s wrong.” Jay Z came out with an acoustic guitar, played Wonderwall and had the crowd eating out of his hands and Gallagher eating his words. But every year since then it seems like there have been grumblings about the headliners. Artists are too old, too young, too rock, too pop, too hip, too uncool, too something for somebody somewhere. Last year it was Adele’s turn, the most universally popular star in the whole world accused of being too “boring” for Glastonbury. A chatty woman in an evening gown singing middle of the road ballads may have been about as far from notions of rock and roll spectacle as you can imagine but it was actually very moving, perhaps for the very reason that Adele defied some nefarious outdated notion of what a rock festival is supposed to be about. Well that and the songs. Her set was gorgeous and fantastic, uniting people in song and bringing a beautiful female energy to Saturday night on the Pyramid stage.

Ooooh careful you'll have salmonbuddie et al claiming you can't talk about "bombs" in case someone is triggered by recent terrorist attacks. :rolleyes:

Jayz played Wonderwall precisely BECAUSE Noel Gallagher spoke up about him headlining so quite why Noel would then eat his words I have no idea.

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

The real Paul Simon would be a shout

He would be in the bracket of Dolly Parton/Tom Jones/Neil Diamond who grace the stage on the Sunday afternoon.

Legends who deserve their day in the sun.

Unlikely to appease the majority of music fans who turn up looking for something more "today" than yesterday.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Just checked to see who the other headliners on the Pyramid Stage are - Radiohead & Foo Fighters neither of whom are in the first flush of youth. Maybe in 2017 Mr. Ed is the most rock'n'roll of the three. :bag

Nice range, maybe that's what the people want?

Personally Radiohead, the odd song apart, do my head in but everyone's different and music is very subjective.

Maybe some people should try to understand this.

19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

He would be in the bracket of Dolly Parton/Tom Jones/Neil Diamond who grace the stage on the Sunday afternoon.

Legends who deserve their day in the sun.

Unlikely to appease the majority of music fans who turn up looking for something more "today" than yesterday.

paul simon has a catalogue of cutting edge music that puts him in the top tier of 20th century writers and perfromers.  he is in in the same bracket as springsteen and wonder who both had headlining sets

jones, parton and diamond are pop stars who are good for a singalong

You have no idea

28 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

paul simon has a catalogue of cutting edge music that puts him in the top tier of 20th century writers and perfromers.  he is in in the same bracket as springsteen and wonder who both had headlining sets

jones, parton and diamond are pop stars who are good for a singalong

You have no idea

Aye, if you like.

Paul Simon.............legends slot at Glastonbury, good for a sing-a-long right enough. :lol:

I suppose the organisers would argue that the fact it sells out every year, even before the acts are announced, would disagree that's not "decent".
It's changing, that what music does, nothing stays the same.
I'm sure the public who attend this festival are quite happy with the current product.

In saying that, Little Mix could headline Glastonbury and Little Mixettes would flock to it, selling it out but it doesn't make it right. I always thought it was a rock concert. Soon we will have an X Factor segment in it. I think you are Simon Cowell in disguise Faraway Saint.