The Drum

First Match today that I have experienced The Drum .

When I arrived, my seat was across the Aisle from it and I feared the worst.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT

The Dude in charge of the sticks was fecking brilliant and keeping  those beats going for 2 hours was amazing.

WELL DONE THAT BUDDIE AND CONGRATULATIONS TO THE REST OF THE SINGERS ALSO.

in fact, the 5000 Saints fans were brilliant. 10/10.

THE DRUM MUST BE ALLOWED INTO ST MIRREN PARK

Sort it Tony Fitzpatrick

4 minutes ago, shull said:

The Dude in charge of the sticks was fecking brilliant and keeping  those beats going for 2 hours was amazing.

Sort it Tony Fitzpatrick

Well said . 

Similar to shull - not a great fan of drums at football and was slightly concerned about being on the fringes of the whole singing/flag display stuff but I had a great time. Just a shame about the result.

Given this tweet from Tony the other day it would be pretty silly if the drum wasn't allowed into home games.

Sort it Tony Fitzpatrick

The dude as you call him in charge of the drum is Josh McGennis. Uncle of or own Kyle McGennis. And your right for a change. The youngsters at away games have been superb. singing and cheering the team on for 90 mins. well done to them. Great atmosphere in our end yesterday. and respect to the Dundee Utd fans who were applauding our fans at the end of the match.

In conversations with the club regarding allowing the drum, it has been stated by the security officer (An ex police match commander) "there have been some security incidents involving away supporters at Saint Mirren home games,and in particular people causing some incidents were situated in the same area as a person with a drum, it has been decided that a drum forms a focal point for trouble makers and drums are no longer allowed inside the stadium"

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

In conversations with the club regarding allowing the drum, it has been stated by the security officer (An ex police match commander) "there have been some security incidents involving away supporters at Saint Mirren home games,and in particular people causing some incidents were situated in the same area as a person with a drum, it has been decided that a drum forms a focal point for trouble makers and drums are no longer allowed inside the stadium"

What a load off bull, its alcohol that causes trouble not the drum they just dont want an atmosphere at LEGOLAND or monoblock stadium, let the drums in build an atmosphere and lets turn it up.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

So because away fans have been causing problems with a drum, the home fans can't have them?

And if the police say the home fans with drums are causing problems because they're near the away fans that's even more reason to put away supporters back behind the goal.

The drum was allowed at Fir Park on Saturday and there were no problems. Seemingly it was also allowed at Parkhead, where Saints fans have repeatedly reported problems in the past - again, no issues. 

Edited by Stu

So it's not even the polis stopping the drum,it's our own security man.You couldnae make it up.Get him told to contact the security men at the grounds we've visited and find out if there's been any trouble at away games...especially in the vicinity of the drum.

Our support has been brilliant recently,there is a real feeling of togetherness between the Fans and Players again.It would be great if the atmosphere at home games matched that of away games. 

GET IT SORTED PLEASE.

2 hours ago, buddiecat said:

Is this an April fools come early ? 

Since we've started taking the drum to away games, we've not caused one bit of bother. Really lame excuse. I know the security company just want an easy life on match days, and don't necessarily want a group of people standing up/singing - but at the end of the day we're only trying to help our team by giving vocal support. Even club captain McGinn said he's been enjoying the backing.

Assuming the "incident" they refer to was the Motherwell fans who ended up kettled by our stadium security a few seasons back? If I remember rightly, that was caused by them letting off pyro, rather than the drum itself?

Its not that I want to put anyone on blast, but every time we've approached the club about a singing section, or any kind of active support - they ask us for full names, addresses, contact details and customer account numbers of everyone involved.... As if we need to be on some sort of criminal watch list if we want to be located together and sing. Unsurpringly, most supporters don't want to give their private details to a security company. 

Saturday was ideal, "quote singing section when you buy your ticket". Why can't we do that at home? And why can't we have a drum? Surely someone at the club can see sense and get this sorted out.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Since we've started taking the drum to away games, we've not caused one bit of bother. Really lame excuse. I know the security company just want an easy life on match days, and don't necessarily want a group of people standing up/singing - but at the end of the day we're only trying to help our team by giving vocal support. Even club captain McGinn said he's been enjoying the backing.

Assuming the "incident" they refer to was the Motherwell fans who ended up kettled by our stadium security a few seasons back? If I remember rightly, that was caused by them letting off pyro, rather than the drum itself?

Its not that I want to put anyone on blast, but every time we've approached the club about a singing section, or any kind of active support - they ask us for full names, addresses, contact details and customer account numbers of everyone involved.... As if we need to be on some sort of criminal watch list if we want to be located together and sing. Unsurpringly, most supporters don't want to give their private details to a security company. 

Saturday was ideal, "quote singing section when you buy your ticket". Why can't we do that at home? And why can't we have a drum? Surely someone at the club can see sense and get this sorted out.

because reserved seats are seen as sacrosanct even at the expense of creating an atmosphere of building the crowd by bringing friends along!

The fans are as bad as the club in sticking to their guns in a way that will always hold us back from initiatives to improve the attendance firstly, and as a result, atmosphere!

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Seemingly the Fans own the Club now.Maybe if we spoke to them they could help.

:rolleyes:

Well as you know John, the fans don't hold a majority share in the club yet. I was one of the people who moaned about the drum, but have to admit it doesn't bother me at all and it obviously gets the fans started. I fear the club will stick with what the security guy says though, but hey they want to remove the old hall of fame boards and replace them with new ones and this will brighten the place up supposedly ? the thinking behind this is flawed in my opinion and a total waste of money.

52 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

because reserved seats are seen as sacrosanct even at the expense of creating an atmosphere of building the crowd by bringing friends along!

The fans are as bad as the club in sticking to their guns in a way that will always hold us back from initiatives to improve the attendance firstly, and as a result, atmosphere!

I see no reason why people in reserved seats should have to move, there are 2 sections in the west stand that are unreserved and easily capable of hosting drums and singing section.

As for the bit in bold, there has never been any discussion between fans and club over whether they should move seats or give up their seat for a singing section and if a section currently mainly reserved seats was allocated as unreserved, how do you stop the people who currently sit their using that section anyway - do you reserve it for a special group ?

Edited by buddiecat

7 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I see no reason why people in reserved seats should have to move, there are 2 sections in the west stand that are unreserved and easily capable of hosting drums and singing section.

As for the bit in bold, there has never been any discussion between fans and club over whether they should move seats or give up their seat for a singing section and if a section currently mainly reserved seats was allocated as unreserved, how do you stop the people who currently sit their using that section anyway - do you reserve it for a special group ?

Yeah we don't want anyone to move seats, just asking them to give us the unallocated bits of the west, and put away fans in the away stand for the last few home games this season when we need the crowd behind us. And let the drum in to boost atmosphere. Easy fix