The Drum

Here's my piece and I hope just like my young nephew other youngsters were inspired by Saturdays atmosphere.

My nephew (12) is brought up by a Rangers supporting father, has an older brother (14yr old blue nose) and the latter has never even considered supporting St Mirren (fair enough). The youngest though has been following Saints since around the age of 7/8 years old as he wanted to be different and because his uncle supported them and seen the passion i carried following my team. He has a season ticket for Saints, though doesn't get to as many games as he would like due to living in Edinburgh. Unfortunately his old man has been taking both him and his brother to Ibrox though and has probably been there more than St Mirren Park this season not through choice. He has became distanced with the club, probably as far back as Ian Murray era.

I took him to the game on Saturday and I have never seen such a transformation in his mood. He was absolutely buzzing prior to kick-off and when we entered the ground to our seats, his jaw nearly hit the ground when he seen the atmosphere and surroundings he had just entered. The flag displays, drum (this has to get the green light for home games) and 90+ minutes of singing had him on cloud 9. After full-time i have never seen him so happy at the end of a defeat. He immediately asked me to take him to the Ayr game if he could get through for it. 

My point is, the atmosphere created at the away games for the last couple of months has been outstanding and something i would like to see brought to home games. The drum is a major part of this and if that kind of noise can inspire youngsters to a better match experience, then I think its a no brainer. I thought it would be easier to sway these things with the SMISA takeover.

3 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Here's my piece and I hope just like my young nephew other youngsters were inspired by Saturdays atmosphere.

My nephew (12) is brought up by a Rangers supporting father, has an older brother (14yr old blue nose) and the latter has never even considered supporting St Mirren (fair enough). The youngest though has been following Saints since around the age of 7/8 years old as he wanted to be different and because his uncle supported them and seen the passion i carried following my team. He has a season ticket for Saints, though doesn't get to as many games as he would like due to living in Edinburgh. Unfortunately his old man has been taking both him and his brother to Ibrox though and has probably been there more than St Mirren Park this season not through choice. He has became distanced with the club, probably as far back as Ian Murray era.

I took him to the game on Saturday and I have never seen such a transformation in his mood. He was absolutely buzzing prior to kick-off and when we entered the ground to our seats, his jaw nearly hit the ground when he seen the atmosphere and surroundings he had just entered. The flag displays, drum (this has to get the green light for home games) and 90+ minutes of singing had him on cloud 9. After full-time i have never seen him so happy at the end of a defeat. He immediately asked me to take him to the Ayr game if he could get through for it. 

My point is, the atmosphere created at the away games for the last couple of months has been outstanding and something i would like to see brought to home games. The drum is a major part of this and if that kind of noise can inspire youngsters to a better match experience, then I think its a no brainer. I thought it would be easier to sway these things with the SMISA takeover.

Love this post above. :clapping

I would like every post in this thread but I'm a lazy fecker and cannae be bothered. So consider all your posts liked.

Extra special "liking" to Shull for starting this thread. The crowd on Saturday deserve it.

Being an auld cnut who can remember that fantastic atmosphere generated at Love Street back in the late 70s/early 80s, I've long since been disappointed in this respect on my trips to watch the Buds. Particularly since we moved to the new stadium.

However, Saturday was like a journey back in time. Absolutely outstanding performance by the fans and I agree the drum sounded brilliant. You even had a crusty auld cynic like me singing my heart out.

:notworthy

Oh and a wee special mention to the small "young team" on our train from Central to Motherwell. Hilarious!! 

From the outside looking in, and speaking from a position of experience.

I'm pretty certain your ceo is full of shit and thinks fans are gullible. Just swallowing up any old shite he feeds them.

After the Magennis issue and now this, it rather reeks of him not giving two fcks about the fans.

He seems to want all the photo opps, without the graft.

I'm pretty certain your ceo is full of shit and thinks fans are gullible. Just swallowing up any old shite he feeds them.

After the Magennis issue and now this, it rather reeks of him not giving two fcks about the fans.

I used to like Partick Thistle, pretty certain I don't now.

I used to like Partick Thistle, pretty certain I don't now.

Why?

Because we had 2 directors who sat down with two fans reps to work out a long term strategy to best improve the atmosphere in the ground.

Who liased with the head steward and police controller to tell them how things were going to be, moving forward.

So much so that our singing section in the north stand was self policed in our last season in the old Championship l. Their presence was next to nonexistent.

Me and my mate were the go to fans, if there were any issues. And we addressed them directly with the fans involved.

Why?

I just wanted to annoy you with a petty post. You've no idea what Tony does day to day, yet you're pretty certain he doesn't care blah blah. From what I've been told, it's not purely down to Tony or even Gordon whether or not a drum gets in the ground. I personally see no issue with it, certainly for home fans.

I just wanted to annoy you with a petty post. You've no idea what Tony does day to day, yet you're pretty certain he doesn't care blah blah. From what I've been told, it's not purely down to Tony or even Gordon whether or not a drum gets in the ground. I personally see no issue with it, certainly for home fans.

That's what I'm saying. With a bit of effort, it can be down to them.

23 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I see no reason why people in reserved seats should have to move, there are 2 sections in the west stand that are unreserved and easily capable of hosting drums and singing section.

As for the bit in bold, there has never been any discussion between fans and club over whether they should move seats or give up their seat for a singing section and if a section currently mainly reserved seats was allocated as unreserved, how do you stop the people who currently sit their using that section anyway - do you reserve it for a special group ?

I agree with what you say about a 'special group' buddiecat.

However from what I've seen and heard in the last few months, perhaps a special case can be made for unallocated seating for the whole West Bank for the remainder of the season to allow the singers to congregate nearer the middle of the stand, where they are in closer contact with the main support and not stuck out on the fringes of the stand?  When they were there before they were too isolated and the rest of the stand noticeably did not join in with ANY of the songs.

P.S/ We need the drums too keep the atmosphere going IMO

Season Ticket Holders in the West Bank can't be removed from their Seats. That would be unfair. 

W5 is ideal for the Drummer and Singers. They have been brilliant there previously. 

Away fans must be kept in the North Stand and if they have a small support then that Stand can be segregated to allow Saints fans in there also. 

59 minutes ago, Buddymarvellous said:

I think the wee drum we use is a Bodhrán hand held thing and I quite like it but the big drums like the 'well fans use really got on ma tits and if we ever go down that road then I woulld be for banning them.

I' ve seen a pic on Twatter. Its definitely a full sized side drum (the type that is used on a standard kit by the looks of things).

I never thought I'd say it, but I fully support the campaign to allow the drum into the stadium. Anything to enhance the atmosphere just now has to get a thumbs up.

Edited by Drew

1 hour ago, Buddymarvellous said:

I think the wee drum we use is a Bodhrán hand held thing and I quite like it but the big drums like the 'well fans use really got on ma tits and if we ever go down that road then I woulld be for banning them.

We've got 2. The one we've used in recent games was a slightly bigger one

14 hours ago, dave.j said:

Sorry mate, but you shouldn't speculate on issues you don't know anything about.

You can expect news regarding the drum very shortly.

What gets me is. the powers in the boardroom moan about lack of atmosphere at home games. yet when fans try to do something about it they get stopped at every turn. Current board just want wee drones sitting in their seats. Drum been at most grounds this season and there's been no trouble. Even fans at other grounds are enjoying the atmosphere the Saints fans are generating But yet there not allowed to do this in there own ground. As usual with St.Mirren it's a PR shambles. Sort yourself out people in charge.

Just now, santaponsasaint said:

What gets me is. the powers in the boardroom moan about lack of atmosphere at home games. yet when fans try to do something about it they get stopped at every turn. Current board just want wee drones sitting in their seats. Drum been at most grounds this season and there's been no trouble. Even fans at other grounds are enjoying the atmosphere the Saints fans are generating But yet there not allowed to do this in there own ground. As usual with St.Mirren it's a PR shambles. Sort yourself out people in charge.

A bit harsh mate. The reality is that the club need to work with the police and the security staff too and there are also supporters who DON'T like a drum at the games.

As I say, expect news on this, probably today, and it is positive news.

8 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Sorry, should have said: The impression I get is...

Tony is still finding his feet in a role he had never held before. I'd say he's reactive to fans' wishes, although is discovering it's not always easy to just do what the fans want, as he will have input from all areas to deal with, such as the police, security officer etc. Tony's a gem, delighted he is the guy at the top of the club, the public face of the board.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I' ve seen a pic on Twatter. Its definitely a full sized side drum (the type that is used on a standard kit by the looks of things).

I never thought I'd say it, but I fully support the campaign to allow the drum into the stadium. Anything to enhance the atmosphere just now has to get a thumbs up.

Agree with this. I fcuking detest the type of drummer at the fitba' that Livvy had. He seemed like a lone sniper, a one man band, one person, on a one-man mission to be an irritating cnut, hammering the shite out of a drum in a support of fifty or so, only succeeeding in being an almighty pain in the tits at a mundane Scottish fixture with little at stake.

Seems to me, our drummer isn't a lone nutjob, a stand alone pain in the arse. Our drummer seems to be part of something bigger, part of a resurgence in connection between support and team, which has resulted in more overall atmosphere, more overall singing, more overall noise, and rather than detracting from the 'matchday experience' allied to the associated increase in singing / clapping / flag waving, is instead, adding to the 'matchday experience'. It came over brilliantly on BBC Alba - the increased and new-found enthusiasm from the Saints support.

What I would hope the club do, given we need all the help we can get, is to open up the North stand for away supports, no matter how small, and get the West Bank fully dedicated to Saints fans. Get the drummer / singers / flag wavers into an area left of centre and get it publicised that the club want everyone, not just in the West Bank, but everyone, to join in with the drumming / singing. When the three St Mirren stands in our midden all join as one, it's night and day different from when we glumly sit watching another Alex Rae or Ian Murray shit-fest.

If Sir Tony of Fitzpatrick is serious about 'get the drum banging' - get it sorted Fitzy, and get some stories out about it to fire up the home support to get with it... no need to move ST holders, just give us our West Bank back and eject the squatters into their own midden behind the goal.

26 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Agree with this. I fcuking detest the type of drummer at the fitba' that Livvy had. He seemed like a lone sniper, a one man band, one person, on a one-man mission to be an irritating cnut, hammering the shite out of a drum in a support of fifty or so, only succeeeding in being an almighty pain in the tits at a mundane Scottish fixture with little at stake.

Seems to me, our drummer isn't a lone nutjob, a stand alone pain in the arse. Our drummer seems to be part of something bigger, part of a resurgence in connection between support and team, which has resulted in more overall atmosphere, more overall singing, more overall noise, and rather than detracting from the 'matchday experience' allied to the associated increase in singing / clapping / flag waving, is instead, adding to the 'matchday experience'. It came over brilliantly on BBC Alba - the increased and new-found enthusiasm from the Saints support.

What I would hope the club do, given we need all the help we can get, is to open up the North stand for away supports, no matter how small, and get the West Bank fully dedicated to Saints fans. Get the drummer / singers / flag wavers into an area left of centre and get it publicised that the club want everyone, not just in the West Bank, but everyone, to join in with the drumming / singing. When the three St Mirren stands in our midden all join as one, it's night and day different from when we glumly sit watching another Alex Rae or Ian Murray shit-fest.

If Sir Tony of Fitzpatrick is serious about 'get the drum banging' - get it sorted Fitzy, and get some stories out about it to fire up the home support to get with it... no need to move ST holders, just give us our West Bank back and eject the squatters into their own midden behind the goal.

Ayr, Dumbarton and Raith will all be in the North for the remaining three home games of the season.