The Drum

On 28/03/2017 at 0:15 AM, Vambo57 said:

I agree with what you say about a 'special group' buddiecat.

However from what I've seen and heard in the last few months, perhaps a special case can be made for unallocated seating for the whole West Bank for the remainder of the season to allow the singers to congregate nearer the middle of the stand, where they are in closer contact with the main support and not stuck out on the fringes of the stand?  When they were there before they were too isolated and the rest of the stand noticeably did not join in with ANY of the songs.

P.S 

Yes, the atmosphere V Ayr was great, but could be even greater!

Hate to say I told you so, but the above was proved true on Saturday.  I sit in W3 and we could barely hear W7, let alone what they were playing. Fans around me were commenting as such and said they could hear the away fans clearer.  The sound in the West does not travel well along the stand, it goes straight out. 

Disappointing also to hear some jobsworth at the club is literally dictating to the Club and fans nonsensical rules which are isolating/alienating/demonising the singing section from the main support via a 'no man's land'!!! Gies a breck FFS  Even the away support were laughing at that.  We may lose a great asset with such treatment and small-mindedness. We need the drums and singing section to keep the atmosphere going and allow other fans to join them whenever they feel like it during a game.

IMO YOU'RE TAKING THE FUN OUT OF IT FOR THOSE THAT PARTICIPATE.

Why does any sound in the West Stand need to travel well along the stand? Surely the whole point is to get the noise going in the first place to travel out towards the pitch and secondly, to get the kids in the South and the clientele in the gentleman's pavilion to join in - which clearly happened pretty well against Ayr. I could hear the drum (albeit not loudly) from my seat in W3. I was aware of it being played.

As an aside, see all this talk of a great atmosphere at Love Street because folk were gathered in the middle? Aye, maybe way back in the day before seating, back in the day of 10,000 crowds and better teams, and back in the day when rival fans were feet away on the other side of a big fence. 

When we did the book, we took in some games sitting with away fans in the Caledonia Stand - you couldn't hear a damn thing coming from the North Bank. The shape of the roof apparently trapped the sound in it, with the upturned 'v' shape of the roof. 

The atmosphere has been largely guff at the new midden. St Mirren have been largely guff at the new midden... lately, St Mirren haven't been guff and the atmosphere / connection between fans and team is improving at a great rate of knots. The club  decreed away fans will be housed in the North Stand for Ayr / Dumbarton / Raith - I reckon the numbers of Dumbarton & Raith fans would easily be housed in the West Stand, so let's cut the club some slack here - I'm sure the BoD will be treating these three games as a litmus test, and if all good, will push on with it next season.

I would hope the 'need' for a 'drumming / singing' section to be taped off from the rest of the West Stand will be ditched. That seems un-necessary. I cannot see the sense in that continuing if these three 'test' games go well.

The chances of the club decreeing the West Stand to be unallocated seating at this stage are precisely zero - as they should be.

Not a fan never have been but aye it works starting up a song, could hear it fine from W4 - ridiculous to section off W6 tho and can imagine it looked silly hence the ayr fans mocking.

leave W5 alone as there are season ticket holders in there, let's try and do this without folk having to move unless they all happy to, make W6 and W7 an area where folk can stand (if not affecting view) sing, drum, do the flag thing.

Referring to it as the singing section is daft - that doesn't help the them and us attitude that is apparent  we sing/you are all old boring farts.

Our section started songs numerous times on Saturday when the drum wasn't going. Goals and performances - atmosphere takes care of itself. I am not in the least against this group of fans making flags, making noise, wanting to be able to stand but if the drum hadn't have been there on Saturday there would still have been singing. Not every bit of atmosphere is down to the drum as some make out and again that's creating this them and us attitude.

Some of us will sing no matter what, some never, some when they feel the game dictates it and some maybe the drum encourages them....as long as the drum is used to start songs and doesn't just become a constant drumming throughout every game (that's why I hate the feckers) then fair enough if folk feel passionately about it enough I hope it works - I am not saying it doesn't add to the atmosphere or doesn't encourage some people to sing....me personally could take it or leave.

Pozbaird's post above makes a lot of good points....the new ground isn't the same, the fitba has been dire the last few years...give us a season like 99-00 again and this discussion wouldn't even be needed.

If the team keeps playing as it is atmosphere wont be a problem at al! We are all St.Mirren singing/drumming/old codgers/boring farts together.

EDITED TO SAY - Loving the 'this love will last forever'.....can we get this into a song/get a tune to go with it, think It would be a fab phrase to sing/chant.

Edited by Miss Saint

10 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

Yes, the atmosphere V Ayr was great, but could be even greater!

Hate to say I told you so, but the above was proved true on Saturday.  I sit in W3 and we could barely hear W7, let alone what they were playing. Fans around me were commenting as such and said they could hear the away fans clearer.  The sound in the West does not travel well along the stand, it goes straight out. 

Disappointing also to hear some jobsworth at the club is literally dictating to the Club and fans nonsensical rules which are isolating/alienating/demonising the singing section from the main support via a 'no man's land'!!! Gies a breck FFS  Even the away support were laughing at that.  We may lose a great asset with such treatment and small-mindedness. We need the drums and singing section to keep the atmosphere going and allow other fans to join them whenever they feel like it during a game.

IMO YOU'RE TAKING THE FUN OUT OF IT FOR THOSE THAT PARTICIPATE.

It would be a help if the jobsworth making the decision on the drum, and dictating the terms, was not a nameless person hiding behind a club statement. Let them explain how the drum can cause trouble, and why they see it as only fit for the end section of the stand.

Personally, sitting in the family stand, I would love the drum to be in with us, and get the singers in here as well. There is plenty of space for all of them to buy up their season tickets and sit together in here. The only issue may be the "no swearing" rule... :lol:

Maybe the family section could be moved to the end of the West Stand, and free up the South Stand either as unallocated seating, or for those wanting to drum and sing to buy up their season tickets all together?

I'm aware this is not that feasible, just thinking out loud with the Family Stand normally being the stand that is least utilised of the three home stands, with lots of space normally available.

Was a bit annoying having the Drum in W7 with W6 almost empty. I sit in the main stand and it created 3 seperate singing sections at times with each end of the west stand and then the main stand all a bit out of time... maybe we just need more practise actually having a sing song at home :P.

Was good to have such a good game and result with all the free tickets for kids, usually when we have all the kids at the game we get beat but a game like that could get a few of them hooked for life.. little do they know they might need to wait another 10 years for a result like that again :rolleyes:.

5 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Loving the 'this love will last forever'.....can we get this into a song/get a tune to go with it, think It would be a fab phrase to sing/chant.

This love will last forever,

Unless the team get beat,

Then Ross will get his jotters,

And Mourinho gets his seat.

:P

6 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Was a bit annoying having the Drum in W7 with W6 almost empty. I sit in the main stand and it created 3 seperate singing sections at times with each end of the west stand and then the main stand all a bit out of time... maybe we just need more practise actually having a sing song at home :P.

Was good to have such a good game and result with all the free tickets for kids, usually when we have all the kids at the game we get beat but a game like that could get a few of them hooked for life.. little do they know they might need to wait another 10 years for a result like that again :rolleyes:.

Although my grandson is already brainwashed hooked, the result had him absolutely buzzing to the extent I had to sit with him while inputted the entire matchday squad into his Xbox to replay the game (By the way. You don't get Magennis or Stelios on the commentary. :o ). So I can't help but agree that it surely must have left a positive vibe on the kids.

Edited by stlucifer

20 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

Not a fan never have been but aye it works starting up a song, could hear it fine from W4 - ridiculous to section off W6 tho and can imagine it looked silly hence the ayr fans mocking.

leave W5 alone as there are season ticket holders in there, let's try and do this without folk having to move unless they all happy to, make W6 and W7 an area where folk can stand (if not affecting view) sing, drum, do the flag thing.

Referring to it as the singing section is daft - that doesn't help the them and us attitude that is apparent  we sing/you are all old boring farts.

Our section started songs numerous times on Saturday when the drum wasn't going. Goals and performances - atmosphere takes care of itself. I am not in the least against this group of fans making flags, making noise, wanting to be able to stand but if the drum hadn't have been there on Saturday there would still have been singing. Not every bit of atmosphere is down to the drum as some make out and again that's creating this them and us attitude.

Some of us will sing no matter what, some never, some when they feel the game dictates it and some maybe the drum encourages them....as long as the drum is used to start songs and doesn't just become a constant drumming throughout every game (that's why I hate the feckers) then fair enough if folk feel passionately about it enough I hope it works - I am not saying it doesn't add to the atmosphere or doesn't encourage some people to sing....me personally could take it or leave.

Pozbaird's post above makes a lot of good points....the new ground isn't the same, the fitba has been dire the last few years...give us a season like 99-00 again and this discussion wouldn't even be needed.

If the team keeps playing as it is atmosphere wont be a problem at al! We are all St.Mirren singing/drumming/old codgers/boring farts together.

EDITED TO SAY - Loving the 'this love will last forever'.....can we get this into a song/get a tune to go with it, think It would be a fab phrase to sing/chant.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwja4L63lorTAhUqJ8AKHTlWCMEQ3ywIJTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV8Le8bH3Y8U&usg=AFQjCNHXEYeMZcTYtOYAhnMty2V-qBTlUQ

Replace "need a love to last forever" with "this love will last forever" and you have a start of a good chant.

Edited by buddiecat

15 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Although my grandson is already brainwashed hooked, the result had him absolutely buzzing to the extent I had to sit with him while inputted the entire matchday squad into his Xbox to replay the game (By the way. You don't get Magennis or Stelios on the commentary. :o ). So I can't help but agree that it surely must have left a positive vibe on the kids.

I started going along to the games with my dad occasionally about 97/98 when I was 6/7.. then came the millenium season and I was hooked. Hopefully the last few years haven't put off the young fans who fell in love with St Mirren when we won the league cup.

20 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

Anyone spot the spelling mistake?

19 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Gets right under my skin that kind of mistake emoji44.png

Maybe those are worn only by the farmers in the West Bank? :unsure:

Edited by antrin

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, buddiecat said:

Love that wee song! From 1.15 just that wee bit aye and that could be a fair wee chant!

From the very start
Open up your heart
Feel that you're a part
of everlasting love

this love will last forever
this love will last.forever

and repeat

A tweak is needed to get a chant that flows and can be sung over and over. The above seems to fit in almost perfectly with the music. However, there won't be any music (just clapping) when we sing it, so it's maybe a bit too complex just to get the "this love will last forever" bit in, which is a different tune and key (maybe we could stop clapping at this bit?).

Personally I think the first four lines looped are all that are needed, is catchy, and is far more likely to be sung.

If the banner is shown, folk will get the link I'm sure

Vambo is right.  It could be an effective and easily done chant/song...

Here's a wee tinkle with the lyrics I found...

Home or Away
We will sing where Saints go
Home or away
Just where you need me so
You won't regret
We'll keep on loving you
Don't you forget
Welcome love we once knew

Open up your eyes
Then you'll realise
Here I stand with my everlasting love
Need you by my side
Buddies by my side
Never be denied everlasting love

From the very start
Open up Saints hearts
Feel that we're a part

of everlasting love

this love will last.forever....

38 minutes ago, Vambo57 said:
From the very start
Open up your heart
Feel that you're a part
of everlasting love

this love will last.forever

and repeat

A tweak is needed to get a chant that flows and can be sung over and over. The above seems to fit in almost perfectly with the music. However, there won't be any music (just clapping) when we sing it, so it's maybe a bit too complex just to get the "this love will last forever" bit in, which is a different tune and key (maybe we could stop clapping at this bit?).

Personally I think the first four lines looped are all that are needed, is catchy, and is far more likely to be sung.

If the banner is shown, folk will get the link I'm sure

I think doing it without clapping to be honest cos the clapping would be awfy slow....arms out singing...and yes im now trying it oot.... clap the first 3 lines then arms oot...Josh battering the drum.

and I should have just posted these lines rather than say from 1.15 - arse hehe

Edited by Miss Saint

3 hours ago, Paisley brazilians said:

Easiest solution hear would to donate a drum to the club or for the club or fan's group to buy a drum and sticks.keep it in house.the drummer receives it in the stand and returns it the same way.therefore it doesn't leave the premises and there is no more silly red tape and the fan's can sing away.

Happy to buy another one if we need to. :thumbs But this one is our lucky drum! :ph34r: it's see through at each end so the chances of stashing bucky in it are slim to none..

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Happy to buy another one if we need to. :thumbs But this one is our lucky drum! :ph34r: it's see through at each end so the chances of stashing bucky in it are slim to none..

Surely the simple solution is to not have daft red tape, Allow us to walk up to a head steward to be checked before entry for contraband like every other club.

15 minutes ago, Paisley brazilians said:

It is a joke.

No.

THIS is a drum joke.

An Indian chief and a cavalry captain climb to the top of a tall hill and look out upon the entire Indian tribe. The captain says worriedly, "I don't like the sound of those drums." The chief says, "I know. It's not our regular drummer."

23 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

I think doing it without clapping to be honest cos the clapping would be awfy slow....arms out singing...and yes im now trying it oot.... clap the first 3 lines then arms oot...Josh battering the drum.

and I should have just posted these lines rather than say from 1.15 - arse hehe

Sounds Great!  Just the job, stop clapping at 'Everlasting Love' and repeat... 

23 hours ago, antrin said:

Vambo is right.  It could be an effective and easily done chant/song...

Here's a wee tinkle with the lyrics I found...

Home or Away
We will sing where Saints go
Home or away
Just where you need me so
You won't regret
We'll keep on loving you
Don't you forget
Welcome love we once knew

Open up your eyes
Then you'll realise
Here I stand with my everlasting love
Need you by my side
Buddies by my side
Never be denied everlasting love

From the very start
Open up Saints hearts
Feel that we're a part

of everlasting love

this love will last.forever....

Sorry Antrin, from experience, it's far too much to learn and remember for your average Football Fan.  Has to be short and just repeated as below:

From the very start
Open up your heart
Feel that you're a part
of everlasting love

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Surely a great opportunity for SMISA to intervene with the purchase of the official St Mirren drum?

I'd be all for that if all goes well with the trials.  It could be put to the vote in the summer and stored in the West Stand.  Saves the drummer lugging one about when at home...

The Feegie Drum?

The SMiSA Drum?

The Love Drum?