The Drum

A bit harsh mate. The reality is that the club need to work with the police and the security staff too and there are also supporters who DON'T like a drum at the games.

As I say, expect news on this, probably today, and it is positive news.

ffs Div. it's a drum not a bomb or a gun. they turn at away games with it. they dont need to give them a month's notice. they just ask at the gates and 9 times out of 10 it's fine. Time for some fans to get a life.

Just now, santaponsasaint said:

ffs Div. it's a drum not a bomb or a gun. they turn at away games with it. they need to give them a month's notice. they just ask at the gates and 9 times out of 10 it's fine. Time for some fans to get a life.

Not always quite as simple as it appears on the face of it you grumpy old git :P

Let's wait and see what the club has to say in the next day or so. You might need to find something else to moan about :lol:

Not always quite as simple as it appears on the face of it you grumpy old git [emoji14]
Let's wait and see what the club has to say in the next day or so. You might need to find something else to moan about [emoji38]

Hey you less of the old [emoji14] I'm not the use of the drum biggest fan. but I don't see the harm in it. These young fans are doing there best by the club and should be encouraged. They shouldn't be knocked everytime they come with something. every time they try and organise a flag display the same old moaners make a appearance.

14 minutes ago, div said:

Not always quite as simple as it appears on the face of it you grumpy old git :P

Let's wait and see what the club has to say in the next day or so. You might need to find something else to moan about :lol:

Sorry Div, cant agree with that Bud. It IS simple , what the f**k do the powers at be think the drummer is going to do ? Launch it at the opposition fans ? Really ? 

As for the pish about "potential trouble" congregating around it ..... c'mon , surely no one  believes that  .? These young guys want to create a bit of atmosphere in what is a dull grey concrete box. Good on them . 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Sorry Div, cant agree with that Bud. It IS simple , what the f**k do the powers at be think the drummer is going to do ? Launch it at the opposition fans ? Really ? 

As for the pish about "potential trouble" congregating around it ..... c'mon , surely no one  believes that  .? These young guys want to create a bit of atmosphere in what is a dull grey concrete box. Good on them . 

One of these young guys ran on to the pitch at Dumfries.

Point being that it's not always as simple as the club saying "aye go for it". Have to take into account whatever incident it was that caused them to be banned in the first place and I assume satisfy themselves and the cops or whatever that it won't happen again.

Anyway, all moot. Some positive news on the way.

57 minutes ago, JohnCommando said:

Really ? Is that the best you can come up with ? Did he have a t shirt saying "I'm with the Drum guy ?"  

So if there hadn't been a drum no one would have ran on to the pitch ? 

P.s. At Inverness in the league winning year there were 200 of us on the pitch and not a Drum in sight 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Really ? Is that the best you can come up with ? Did he have a t shirt saying "I'm with the Drum guy ?"  
So if there hadn't been a drum no one would have ran on to the pitch ? 
P.s. At Inverness in the league winning year there were 200 of us on the pitch and not a Drum in sight 

I was one of them, indeed I got up to the directors box, but it was full time.

14 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

There was a lot more than 200 on the pitch that day.

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wasn't his stance less than a fortnight ago - at least he's changed his mind since then.

You're forgetting one thing. Tony lives on Planet Fitzy. It's a bit like living on Earth, but at the same time, a bit different... and I'm no' jist' sayin' that.

Agree with this. I fcuking detest the type of drummer at the fitba' that Livvy had. He seemed like a lone sniper, a one man band, one person, on a one-man mission to be an irritating cnut, hammering the shite out of a drum in a support of fifty or so, only succeeeding in being an almighty pain in the tits at a mundane Scottish fixture with little at stake.
Seems to me, our drummer isn't a lone nutjob, a stand alone pain in the arse. Our drummer seems to be part of something bigger, part of a resurgence in connection between support and team, which has resulted in more overall atmosphere, more overall singing, more overall noise, and rather than detracting from the 'matchday experience' allied to the associated increase in singing / clapping / flag waving, is instead, adding to the 'matchday experience'. It came over brilliantly on BBC Alba - the increased and new-found enthusiasm from the Saints support.
What I would hope the club do, given we need all the help we can get, is to open up the North stand for away supports, no matter how small, and get the West Bank fully dedicated to Saints fans. Get the drummer / singers / flag wavers into an area left of centre and get it publicised that the club want everyone, not just in the West Bank, but everyone, to join in with the drumming / singing. When the three St Mirren stands in our midden all join as one, it's night and day different from when we glumly sit watching another Alex Rae or Ian Murray shit-fest.
If Sir Tony of Fitzpatrick is serious about 'get the drum banging' - get it sorted Fitzy, and get some stories out about it to fire up the home support to get with it... no need to move ST holders, just give us our West Bank back and eject the squatters into their own midden behind the goal.

I concur. The atmosphere at the weekend was superb

20 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

I agree with what you say about a 'special group' buddiecat.

However from what I've seen and heard in the last few months, perhaps a special case can be made for unallocated seating for the whole West Bank for the remainder of the season to allow the singers to congregate nearer the middle of the stand, where they are in closer contact with the main support and not stuck out on the fringes of the stand?  When they were there before they were too isolated and the rest of the stand noticeably did not join in with ANY of the songs.

P.S/ We need the drums too keep the atmosphere going IMO

FFS Vambo, they were right at one end and behind the goals at Fir park on Saturday, if i recall correctly it did not hamper the atmosphere one little bit. And i will again state, how do you make every seat unallocated and expect people to stay away from a selected area to allow a singing section in - i'll tell you, it would not work.

Give us a winning feeling and the atmosphere will take care of itself.

Get the singing section as near as possible to the away fans, that encourages them to sing more to outdo the away fans.

3 hours ago, JohnCommando said:

The guy who ran onto the pitch did not come from the section where the drum was, he had a bet on Mallan scoring first and ran on from near the half way line waving his betting slip in the air and was rather the worse for drink.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Agree with this. I fcuking detest the type of drummer at the fitba' that Livvy had. He seemed like a lone sniper, a one man band, one person, on a one-man mission to be an irritating cnut, hammering the shite out of a drum in a support of fifty or so, only succeeeding in being an almighty pain in the tits at a mundane Scottish fixture with little at stake.

I think any of us that remember that Livingston pain in the arse naturally have a negative reaction to drums at the football.  It seemed to sum them up: plastic football club, plastic football generation, plastic drum, pain in the tits supporter.

One major difference is our drummer can actually play the bloody thing.  All future drummers entering the ground must provide a demonstration of their skills in the car park.

It wasn't only down to having a drum there, but the atmosphere on Saturday was as good as I can remember for a very long time at a Saints game.  Despite being 12,000 fans less it was probably even better than the 2013 final.  I finally feel slightly optimistic we may be able to organise ourselves at St Mirren Park to get all the grumpy bastards in one section, those who want to make some noise together, encourage all those who sing at away games and not at home, and get some atmosphere back in the ground.

We really need to do something, it has been completely dire going to the new stadium, and the results are in part due to the shite atmosphere and lack of backing the team has been given (and lack of intimidating the opponents).  Fingers crossed the next three games can bring about a permanent change.

Point being that it's not always as simple as the club saying "aye go for it". Have to take into account whatever incident it was that caused them to be banned in the first place and I assume satisfy themselves and the cops or whatever that it won't happen again.

Anyway, all moot. Some positive news on the way.

Ground rules like this are the clubs to make, as long as they don't clash with the statutory laws re sporting events and OBAF Act then it's nowt to do with the police!