Can we win a game........

12 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

..........if we go behind?

I accept that we're a better team now than we were under AR but my main criticism of JR is that in the few games I've seen under his tenure we have a Plan A but little else.

Se7en big games coming up and you'd have to imagine we'll lose the first goal in one or more of them - what happens next?

A bit harsh IMO.

The Raith game aside we've looked good in recent weeks.

We are scoring goals, and crucially, we are creating chances.

Arguably we are a bit light on options in the last third, but with Smith coming back into the squad on Saturday that will improve.

I actually also love that Jack was confident and big enough to give O'Keefe some game time in a cup final on Saturday and think he could give us more options in the run-in as he's a cracking talent.

We've come from behind in plenty of games under Jack.

18 minutes ago, div said:

A bit harsh IMO.

The Raith game aside we've looked good in recent weeks.

We are scoring goals, and crucially, we are creating chances.

Arguably we are a bit light on options in the last third, but with Smith coming back into the squad on Saturday that will improve.

I actually also love that Jack was confident and big enough to give O'Keefe some game time in a cup final on Saturday and think he could give us more options in the run-in as he's a cracking talent.

We've come from behind in plenty of games under Jack.

I suppose that's what you get for being provocative with a thread title - maybe I should've asked what is JR's Plan B?

We're gonna need 3/4 wins between now and the end of the season and we've only come back to win from behind three times so far in JR's tenure and one of those was against TNS who I felt ran out of steam after about 60 minutes.

I'd throw the recent 0-0 draw against Dunfermline at GHR back at you where I felt after dominating the opening 10-15 minutes we lost our way and we just seemed to keep on keepin' on with the same routines despite their diminishing effectiveness.

I suppose that's what you get for being provocative with a thread title - maybe I should've asked what is JR's Plan B?
We're gonna need 3/4 wins between now and the end of the season and we've only come back to win from behind three times so far in JR's tenure and one of those was against TNS who I felt ran out of steam after about 60 minutes.
I'd throw the recent 0-0 draw against Dunfermline at GHR back at you where I felt after dominating the opening 10-15 minutes we lost our way and we just seemed to keep on keepin' on with the same routines despite their diminishing effectiveness.

Think everyone has agreed all along that the next two games are ones we must win.

If we do that, and Morton beat Dumbarton next weekend then we go off the bottom of the league for the first time since September.

It's far from a formality but it would be a significant milestone.

I'd say with four wins from our last six outings and only one defeat that it's imperative that we DONT deviate from the same routines that we have been using successfully in that run.

21 minutes ago, div said:

Think everyone has agreed all along that the next two games are ones we must win.

If we do that, and Morton beat Dumbarton next weekend then we go off the bottom of the league for the first time since September.

It's far from a formality but it would be a significant milestone.

I'd say with four wins from our last six outings and only one defeat that it's imperative that we DONT deviate from the same routines that we have been using successfully in that run.

Fair enough - will you still be saying stick to the routines if it's 0-0 at 60 minutes on Saturday? I just haven't seen a viable option to change the system we play other than maybe Stelios (who seems to be a bit of a wild card) the replacements were talking seem to be pretty much of a muchness with our first eleven.

What's the gossip on SD - is he carrying an injury?

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Fair enough - will you still be saying stick to the routines if it's 0-0 at 60 minutes on Saturday? I just haven't seen a viable option to change the system we play other than maybe Stelios (who seems to be a bit of a wild card) the replacements were talking seem to be pretty much of a muchness with our first eleven.

What's the gossip on SD - is he carrying an injury?

Not sure what the problem is with Stelios, he was originally carrying a knock after the Raith game and has barely featured sicnce then.

Difficult to say about Saturday as I've no idea what the team will be. Sutton has to start this one as Ayr are prone to losing goals from set-plays, so he might drop Loy and start with Smith which gives us the option of bringing Rory on later in the game and even going three up front if we are chasing it.

We aren't blessed with loads of attacking options to be honest. As we chased the game on Saturday Gary MacK started playing up front!

15 minutes ago, div said:

Not sure what the problem is with Stelios, he was originally carrying a knock after the Raith game and has barely featured sicnce then.

Difficult to say about Saturday as I've no idea what the team will be. Sutton has to start this one as Ayr are prone to losing goals from set-plays, so he might drop Loy and start with Smith which gives us the option of bringing Rory on later in the game and even going three up front if we are chasing it.

We aren't blessed with loads of attacking options to be honest. As we chased the game on Saturday Gary MacK started playing up front!

I think it's simply that JR prefers the defensive qualities of Eckersley and Irvine hasn't done much wrong since being moved to his proper position. I did feel he would have been a good replacement for Eckersley on Saturday when we were chasing the game as he gives more going forward.

4 hours ago, div said:

I agree in principle but it's genuinely hard to make a case for not starting Loy. He's been a total workhorse since that TNS game where he didn't look all that arsed.

If we win more than half our remaining games, we'll stay up clear of the play off spot in my opinion. All of the other bottom 6 clubs - right up to QoS - play 3 other clubs in that area of the league, so plenty of points will be dropped. Our three vs other bottom 6 clubs are all at home. We need to win all three if we are to avoid play offs.

Of course this is all academic if we don't win on Saturday, and there will obviously be the odd victory for bottom section of the league clubs vs play off places.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I agree in principle but it's genuinely hard to make a case for not starting Loy. He's been a total workhorse since that TNS game where he didn't look all that arsed.

I'd go with two up top against the teams around us at home. We need to be taking the game to them from the off. Away against the likes of Hibs and Utd I would sacrifice a striker for an extra midfielder, such as Storie or Magennis (assuming Smith comes back in for Kyle although I've been really impresed as always by him).

Jack could go for it in all our games though, which would be a bold move. We must make use of subs in that case, as McGinn & Mallan toiled a little as the second half went on both on Saturday and in the home win against Utd.

40 points would be my guess at being the target to avoid relegation and possibly also escape the play off.

That means 13 from the last 21 available. It's a big ask but it's in line with our current form where we've taken 13 from the last 18.

We need to win all three of our home games because they are against other teams in the mix, which would mean 4 points from the 4 away games.

Not easy but far from impossible.

The league table is a bit depressing but there is plenty scope for hope.

Raith Rovers have got an absolutely honking run of games coming up, I actually don't think they'll get another point in the next four matches before they play us.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

My fear is an Ayr result tonight, and against us on Saturday leaving perhaps Only Dumbarton in a realistic catch and pass position.

if we become further isolated the fear will reek from us. Nowt we can do about tonight, gotta wait till Saturday comes.

We've a game in hand over Raith and still to play them at our place whilst they have only 2 home games left out of 6 and have a horrendous run of fixtures before the last two games against ourselves and Ayr.

They are as catchable as Dumbarton or Ayr IMO.

48 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

My fear is an Ayr result tonight, and against us on Saturday leaving perhaps Only Dumbarton in a realistic catch and pass position.

if we become further isolated the fear will reek from us. Nowt we can do about tonight, gotta wait till Saturday comes.

Don't fear the worst, embrace the positivity. We beat Ayr, then Dumbarton, then go to Cappielow on a high looking for revenge for the pumping they gave us earlier in the season. Keep the bandwagon going in the league.

56 minutes ago, div said:

40 points would be my guess at being the target to avoid relegation and possibly also escape the play off.

That means 13 from the last 21 available. It's a big ask but it's in line with our current form where we've taken 13 from the last 18.

We need to win all three of our home games because they are against other teams in the mix, which would mean 4 points from the 4 away games.

Not easy but far from impossible.

The league table is a bit depressing but there is plenty scope for hope.

Raith Rovers have got an absolutely honking run of games coming up, I actually don't think they'll get another point in the next four matches before they play us.

Pretty much my feeling. Four wins, and picking up a point somewhere else, will do it. All the teams in the bottom 6 all play each other, so plenty of dropped points there.

2 hours ago, div said:

We've a game in hand over Raith and still to play them at our place whilst they have only 2 home games left out of 6 and have a horrendous run of fixtures before the last two games against ourselves and Ayr.

They are as catchable as Dumbarton or Ayr IMO.

I do get all the possible permutations, but as we know now with this league set up every team we have left to play is fighting for promotion or to a avoid the drop. They will be toe, to toe cagey games with the result hanging on a one goal mistake, penalty or sending off until we know our fate.

bottom will beat top, out of form will go on a run, and if our luck doesnt hold out Morton will be looking to relegate us at theirs in a couple of weeks.... or....? We could defy the odds?

it will be three to four games at least before we know if we have a chance to sneak it, or breek it!