Morton v St Mirren 11/4/17 (Cowshed Re-opening)

Ronnie

In spite of what Lex says, O'brien was a bit of an unsung hero last night. He's made a wonderful stop at 1-1 that prevents Morton going in at HT ahead. 

Yes he's not the most convincing at crosses. He's 21 though and that is certainly something that can still be coached in. He's a very good keeper indeed. It's easy to see what he brings, he's brilliant at full stretch, pulling off good stops both against Ayr and Dumbarton at crucial times. 

In spite of what Lex says, O'brien was a bit of an unsung hero last night. He's made a wonderful stop at 1-1 that prevents Morton going in at HT ahead. 
Yes he's not the most convincing at crosses. He's 21 though and that is certainly something that can still be coached in. He's a very good keeper indeed. It's easy to see what he brings, he's brilliant at full stretch, pulling off good stops both against Ayr and Dumbarton at crucial times. 

I think if Billy was to sign on next season and we released Langfield from his coaching role and replaced him with someone half decent then we might see Billy blossom. He is still young and remember he has only played 3 months of first team football. There is the making of a decent keeper in there and would be great if he realised his potential with us.

Still buzzing after last night's result and I wasn't even there.[emoji2]

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think his main strength is his distribution. He's not massively convincing at crosses, or shot stopping, but he's ok. His kicking is excellent though. He's set up many counter attacks this season, especially when Morgan was fit and he could drop it over the fullback.

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought that on Saturday. A few around me were overly critical, he's very young for a goalkeeper and, overall, he has a natural ability at shot stopping and I think his distribution is also good, important if we're going to continue to keep possession.

Oh, oldest granddaughter, 10, asked what the St Mirren score was this morning.........................:clapping

If you get a chance, have a look at the greenockmorton.org forum. Not only are they seething at the way their mob is imploding, they are also surprisingly complimentary about the way Jack has turned our season round. Lots of "beaten by the better team" stuff. Lovely way to start the day. 

5 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Would be hilarious if QoS caught Morton, only 8 behind now. They would need to beat Hibs and Falkirk away aswell as Dumbarton and Dunfermline at home but it's mental they still have a shot at 4th after losing 7 games in a row and not winning in 13 games.

Really, that would mean that Ton lose to Raith and Ayr, lets not get to smug here, yes we are playing really well, yes JR and the team have turned this around , yes last night was bloody brill, but our last 4 games are against Falkirk, United, Raith and Hibs.................

We still have a job to do , and remember Ayr beating Pars away, and Raith beating United still shows anything is possible..........

Langfield is doing a great job with Billy and they clearly have a good understanding and relationship, don't understand the flak Langfield is taking. I'd be happy for him to stay on as coach & signing someone to compete with Billy for the number 1 jersey.

Anyway, any highlights up yet?! :)

27 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Really, that would mean that Ton lose to Raith and Ayr, lets not get to smug here, yes we are playing really well, yes JR and the team have turned this around , yes last night was bloody brill, but our last 4 games are against Falkirk, United, Raith and Hibs.................

We still have a job to do , and remember Ayr beating Pars away, and Raith beating United still shows anything is possible..........

and we really don't want that to happen.

Correct pod.

Ton have done well this year, however I want the status quo for next season and hopefully 12 points for us against them, however Ton are in poor form and Raith on a bumpy pitch will not be easy, also Ton only incentive is to get 2nd..... although I have on good authority they are not really wanting promotion, it will cost them to much money

So as we cant catch Ton I am quite happy that they save their bombing for next season..............

50 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Fair enough, didn't realise that's who Morton had left to play, hopefully we'll do the job ourselves anyway B)

Langfield is doing a great job with Billy and they clearly have a good understanding and relationship, don't understand the flak Langfield is taking. I'd be happy for him to stay on as coach & signing someone to compete with Billy for the number 1 jersey.
Anyway, any highlights up yet?! [emoji4]

Langfield will be our top or one of our top earners and I think the money could be spent more wisely.

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Correct pod.

Ton have done well this year, however I want the status quo for next season and hopefully 12 points for us against them, however Ton are in poor form and Raith on a bumpy pitch will not be easy, also Ton only incentive is to get 2nd..... although I have on good authority they are not really wanting promotion, it will cost them to much money

So as we cant catch Ton I am quite happy that they save their bombing for next season..............

Morton are in better form than Raith and equal with Ayr........

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts 2.5+
1 St Mirren 8 5 2 1 18 8 +10 17 38%
2 Falkirk 8 3 3 2 13 9 +4 12 50%
3 Dunfermline 8 3 3 2 9 5 +4 12 12%
4 Queen of South 8 3 2 3 10 10 0 11 25%
5 Hibernian 8 2 5 1 9 9 0 11 38%
6 Dumbarton 8 2 4 2 14 14 0 10 75%
7 Morton 8 2 3 3 5 8 -3 9 12%
8 Ayr Utd 8 3 0 5 8 17 -9 9 50%
9 Dundee Utd 8 2 2 4 10 13 -3 8 50%
10 Raith Rovers 8 2 1 5 6 11 -5 7 38%

39 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Morton are in better form than Raith and equal with Ayr........

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts 2.5+
1 St Mirren 8 5 2 1 18 8 +10 17 38%
2 Falkirk 8 3 3 2 13 9 +4 12 50%
3 Dunfermline 8 3 3 2 9 5 +4 12 12%
4 Queen of South 8 3 2 3 10 10 0 11 25%
5 Hibernian 8 2 5 1 9 9 0 11 38%
6 Dumbarton 8 2 4 2 14 14 0 10 75%
7 Morton 8 2 3 3 5 8 -3 9 12%
8 Ayr Utd 8 3 0 5 8 17 -9 9 50%
9 Dundee Utd 8 2 2 4 10 13 -3 8 50%
10 Raith Rovers 8 2 1 5 6 11 -5 7 38%

That's not taking in last night game is it, looks like a top of the league clash on Sat....... Woohoo

12 hours ago, Herbie said:

Agreed. Come on mods. It's boring in the extreme and not even remotely funny...

aye get him tae fuck we have all had more than enough of this cretinous malcontent.

our team is in a great place, we don't need an immature manboy who should know better

constantly bringing us down.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Like the Morton goalie fouling one of our players at the fourth goal then whining he's the one getting fouled.

Glorious stuff.

What a leap from big Gary Mac for the winner. If you haven't already seen it, check out the photo in the gallery on the OS of him winning the ball. I reckon he nearly brained himself on the moon! :D

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

That's not taking in last night game is it, looks like a top of the league clash on Sat....... Woohoo

Yeah, it includes last night's game - Morton will be looking to finish second and save themselves two games in the play-off process. You'd expect them to show some sort of reaction to last night's performance/result. Who knows - after dropping into the play-off spot Raith might suddenly discover the fight that seems to have left them. I guess that's the benefit of the play-off system, with 4 games to go 7 out of the 10 teams still have something significant to play for.