SMISA March Update

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair point.

Hopefully someone from SMiSA can clarify.

To clarify, I am only suggesting that the existing boards do not NEED to be completely replaced at a cost of £1500. Clearly Joma would not want to come in and see JD logos everywhere, so I'm guessing as well as the JD logos on the existing HoF panels, Joma will want to see the JD logos disappear from (as an example) the gable end graphics on both North and South stands... this could be achieved by merely printing self-adhesive circular Joma logos, and apply them in the centre. Leave the circular players image graphics untouched. Maybe someone within the club wants to entirely replace those two big graphics though, just as they want to completely replace the existing HoF panels. That's their call. Seems a waste of money though.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Whilst I appreciate the nice thinking behind sponsoring a local youth team, to my mind the only team that SMISA members intended to actually sponsor is surely St Mirren?

That's the only team in which I'd want THAT money to be invested.

if I want to sponsor a local youth team, a charity runner or a cat's home I'd take that decision myself and use other money for that purpose.

let's concentrate on St Mirren.

With the fans in the process of buying the club, we are a community club. We should be strengthening bonds with the local community. The community season tickets is a great idea which will bring the community closer to the club. The sponsoring of a local youth team is another way form a bond with communities, and linking closely with them. I am in complete support of both these things. If we concentrate solely on St Mirren, we risk losing the community around us, and their support is absolutely vital if we want to achieve big things. 

Edited by Soctty

I voted yes to all three options. Very pleased with the community initiatives included here. A great start to really embracing the local community, and something that should be a given for a portion of these funds every quarter. The Hall Of Fame Boards I also voted yes to as we need to keep things fresh and remove JD from the stadium, unless they're willing to pay for the advertising...

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Joma will want to see the JD logos disappear from (as an example) the gable end graphics on both North and South stands... this could be achieved by merely printing self-adhesive circular Joma logos

Need a hell of a big sticker for The Dome!!!

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Whilst I appreciate the nice thinking behind sponsoring a local youth team, to my mind the only team that SMISA members intended to actually sponsor is surely St Mirren?

if I want to sponsor a local youth team, a charity runner or a cat's home I'd take that decision myself and use other money for that purpose.

My thoughts entirely. Bit puzzled by this proposal. Surely we have enough youth teams already, which SMISA already supports? I am minded to vote against this proposal - I'm all for community engagement but I don't follow the idea of supporting other football teams. I'd rather give the money to St Mirren's youth teams, or look at sponsoring some other sort of community initiative that might encourage more people to come down to Love Street.

What it does is gets SMISA'S name out there.

All the players in the team will now heard of SMISA, all their parents will hear of SMISA.

I think it's a pretty good idea the more affiliations with these sort of teams the better (in my opinion ).

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

With the fans in the process of buying the club, we are a community club. We should be strengthening bonds with the local community. The community season tickets is a great idea which will bring the community closer to the club. The sponsoring of a local youth team is another way form a bond with communities, and linking closely with them. I am in complete support of both these things. If we concentrate solely on St Mirren, we risk losing the community around us, and their support is absolutely vital if we want to achieve big things. 

And what about the other youth teams that don't get chosen.. ?? doesn't quite sit well with me, the community means all the community

TBH, I thought all 3 options were pretty duff and uninspired.

The club need new people to put their own money into the club, not just recycling our money to get punters in through the door in the vague hope they come back. There are plenty of seats at the ground every other week that the club can use for an initiative like this, not using the SMISA funds.

As for the Hall of Fame Boards and sponsoring another team.

15 minutes ago, melmac said:

TBH, I thought all 3 options were pretty duff and uninspired.

The club need new people to put their own money into the club, not just recycling our money to get punters in through the door in the vague hope they come back. There are plenty of seats at the ground every other week that the club can use for an initiative like this, not using the SMISA funds.

As for the Hall of Fame Boards and sponsoring another team.

Can see the benefits to the community in the block season tickets and too the clubs reputation in doing such a project,, but agree are we not doing this already,, as for the other 2 options :huh:

Edited by portmahomack saint

And what about the other youth teams that don't get chosen.. ?? doesn't quite sit well with me, the community means all the community

I'm sure the finer points will be expanded upon once the proposals have been accepted/rejected. Possibly it would be a different team each year that gets the support? Good to see the effort being made.

Not everyone will like the proposals - that's the reason for the vote.

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'm sure the finer points will be expanded upon once the proposals have been accepted/rejected. Possibly it would be a different team each year that gets the support? Good to see the effort being made.

Not everyone will like the proposals - that's the reason for the vote.

correct,, I don't, so I voted no.

If this gets voted in, do we then have another vote to decide which team to sponsor??? 
Imagine sponsoring a team that plays against one of our youth teams

I don't really see it as an issue.

It can only be a good thing to be seen to be helping that level of football.

However given the negative comments what about sponsoring a cup or one of the leagues so that the funding goes to all participants?

I don't really see it as an issue.

It can only be a good thing to be seen to be helping that level of football.

However given the negative comments what about sponsoring a cup or one of the leagues so that the funding goes to all participants?

This is a good suggestion, although one which would involve a lot more funding, rather than just a set of strips. A possiblity for SMiSA to look at?

What about sponsoring a Youth League rather than an individual team?

We do have a wider strategy and have made initial moves to look at sponsoring a league, tournament or cup, be that the youth or schools setup. It's not easy though, with trying to even actually get meetings arranged being difficult. I've also suggested taking it further and funding SMISA members through coaching badges to assist any local teams who are struggling.

It was decided to look at ways to begin the process though, to see what simple steps could be taken first. Sponsoring a team could be a good starting point, foot in the door if you will. Its something SMISA can control and don't need to wait for meetings, people responding or just basically getting nothing back. If it goes ahead then you can even use the press release etc to explain the wider strategy.

Of course, fully understand members may not like it and that's why it's a vote.

Folk are entitled to question the suggestions, but it might be more helpful if they could also come up with a few alternatives.

I'm happy enough to support the suggestions on the basis that folk have thought them through, and that, for the moment, I can't think of any better to put forward.

To be honest, I've always advocated that some of the money should be put to one side so we can grow a more substantial fund. This could either contribute to a more significant initiative, or serve as an emergency fund in the event that such a thing might ever be required.

4 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

We do have a wider strategy and have made initial moves to look at sponsoring a league, tournament or cup, be that the youth or schools setup. It's not easy though, with trying to even actually get meetings arranged being difficult. I've also suggested taking it further and funding SMISA members through coaching badges to assist any local teams who are struggling.

It was decided to look at ways to begin the process though, to see what simple steps could be taken first. Sponsoring a team could be a good starting point, foot in the door if you will. Its something SMISA can control and don't need to wait for meetings, people responding or just basically getting nothing back. If it goes ahead then you can even use the press release etc to explain the wider strategy.

Of course, fully understand members may not like it and that's why it's a vote.

What about a helping a St Mirren womans football team (if we have one,) .. am sure the whole community would be in favour

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Folk are entitled to question the suggestions, but it might be more helpful if they could also come up with a few alternatives.

I'm happy enough to support the suggestions on the basis that folk have thought them through, and that, for the moment, I can't think of any better to put forward.

To be honest, I've always advocated that some of the money should be put to one side so we can grow a more substantial fund. This could either contribute to a more significant initiative, or serve as an emergency fund in the event that such a thing might ever be required.

I agree.None of the choices actually jump out and say "me,me pick me".Get some stickers for the HoF boards,even get some more HoF boards,then stick the rest in the bank.

What about a helping a St Mirren womans football team (if we have one,) .. am sure the whole community would be in favour

Fiona at the club has the remit on looking at that. I had raised it so picked it up with Gordon when a few of SMISA's commitee met with him a few weeks back. Highlighted that we were keen to assist, I believe Fiona has been made aware we're there to assist. It's something we'll pick back up after the AGM.

6 minutes ago, HSS said:

I agree.None of the choices actually jump out and say "me,me pick me".Get some stickers for the HoF boards,even get some more HoF boards,then stick the rest in the bank.

That's an interesting option as there could be "none of the above options" choice and let the money build up for possibly bigger and better things.