SMISA March Update

No to the hall of fame boards. Seems overly expensive.

No to the season tickets. We aren't exactly selling out games so I don't see why we'd have to buy the season tickets. The club should be doing more regarding ticket pricing to make football accessible for all.

No to the youth sponsorship. I'd prefer we used it to give free football for young people of a certain age. Get involved with something along what the charity McLaren works with. Get as many people benefiting rather than one team.

Maybe have a default position of saving the money each quarter unless there is a specific option that is seen as good value for money? That way people aren't waiting for the email with the options every three months. A kind of opt out saving scheme, where we save unless in any quarter there is a need or a desire to put something to the vote?

Guest TPAFKATS
That's understandable but the point is, is their a need to replace all the JD advertising with Joma advertising. Is their a contractual obligation to do so?

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting spending fans contributions on this. I was raising whether joma would want a (kinda) rival having such high profile advertising. My point being they would wish to pay to replace with their own image.

My thoughts -

Block of season tickets: It is important I believe to build the fan base. The Club offer tickets to youth groups but not to adults. I like the idea of allowing different adult groups being invited along each week to the SMiSA seating block. It allows those that have not seen us, or maybe any team, play. Maybe some will be inspired to take out their own season ticket if they can afford it or at least pay to come to some games in the future. If not it helps the community, spreads the word and gives a day out to those those not able to able to afford to go to a game. To take out season tickets for one season as an experiment is worthwhile I reckon with two caveats. 1) SMiSA members should be able to propose a deserving group for a game. Names pulled out of a hat. eg a relative of mine helps with Shelter - he could maybe propose 12 homeless people for a game for a day. 2) Maybe start with 12 tickets at £3,000 to see how it goes?

HOF Boards: I would like the ground more personalised ie more St Mirren. I would be happy to spend the £1,500 but new ads over existing Boards and additional boards around the stadium - maybe on the back walls of the stands.

Youth Team Sponsorship: The Community coaches may be able to suggest teams that have real cash problems that could not afford a strip. The amount is little (£700) and the team would need to play in black and white stripes obviously being a condition of the sponsorship. Over 5 years we could have sponsored 5 teams in maybe different leagues all wearing black and white instead of blue and green. The chances are the clubs in question would use the strips for a couple of seasons so again spreading the word amongst future future supporters (or players!).

Yes, yes, and yes from me with the above caveats.

4 hours ago, div said:

I like the idea of the community season tickets but the problem with it is that it becomes an annual decision so if we go ahead and spend £6k on it this season and it's well used then it becomes a £6k spend we probably need to make every year (unless we want to become the bad guys taking it away after a year).

Since it is different groups that will be using them every week I do not see how it has to become an annual event as those that take up the offer will only be invited to one game - no-one is looking at continuity. If it does not work out very well then I do not see a problem ditching the idea after a season. However maybe 24 seats is too much to fill every week. I would be happier starting off with half that amount.

Since it is different groups that will be using them every week I do not see how it has to become an annual event as those that take up the offer will only be invited to one game - no-one is looking at continuity. If it does not work out very well then I do not see a problem ditching the idea after a season. However maybe 24 seats is too much to fill every week. I would be happier starting off with half that amount.

I think if it does become an annual event that will be no problem at all. Way I look at this is it' £6k to St Mirren in exchange for seats that otherwise would be sitting empty and the work to fill them with good causes sit with SMISA.

It's a win win for the football club, £6k in the bank and a few more bums on seats, no work required. Some of the comments on here about saying the club should fund it themselves... it's not us Vs St Mirren everything we should do should be either directly or indirectly a benefit to the club.

I may be in the minority here but if there was a vote every quarter with an option saying 'give it to St Mirren' that would get my vote every time

I think if it does become an annual event that will be no problem at all. Way I look at this is it' £6k to St Mirren in exchange for seats that otherwise would be sitting empty and the work to fill them with good causes sit with SMISA.

It's a win win for the football club, £6k in the bank and a few more bums on seats, no work required. Some of the comments on here about saying the club should fund it themselves... it's not us Vs St Mirren everything we should do should be either directly or indirectly a benefit to the club.

I may be in the minority here but if there was a vote every quarter with an option saying 'give it to St Mirren' that would get my vote every time

Yes fair comment on the group season tickets mate.

I think as a hardcore of fans we are spending more on our club than probably any other set of fans supporting a club of our size.

I won't be alone in paying for a season ticket, paying a monthly fee for buy the buds and a monthly fee for the 1877 club.

I think the £2 a month discretionary spend is a great idea and I wouldn't like to see that just gifted over to the club personally.

Last quarter was different as we were in dire straits but actually even then that should probably have been paid back once the club decided to cash in on Kyle.

Dunno if anyone knows the answer to this.

I have heard various stories about the catering at the stadium , some say the club simply sells the space to the catering provider others reckon the club gets a cut from sales .Does anyone know which ?

If the caterers simply buy the space, what about trying to sell the idea of HOF board sponsorship to them ? Lets face it , the vast majority of folk who regularly look at the boards are down there grabbing a pie n bovril.   

35 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Dunno if anyone knows the answer to this.

I have heard various stories about the catering at the stadium , some say the club simply sells the space to the catering provider others reckon the club gets a cut from sales .Does anyone know which ?

If the caterers simply buy the space, what about trying to sell the idea of HOF board sponsorship to them ? Lets face it , the vast majority of folk who regularly look at the boards are down there grabbing a pie n bovril.   

As I said earlier, why not look into selling advertising space on the existing HoF panels to anyone. Skyview, Joma, Paisley 2021, Big Bobby's Car Wash & Vac... doesn't matter. Another alternative would be to simply print the latest inductees as self-adhesive graphics and add to an existing board. Simply keep adding inductees in threes as and when required. Minimal cost, and there would be years and years worth of new inductee space. The existing boards were professionally printed and fitted, piece of piss to cover up the JD adverts with professionally and neatly printed new adverts printed on large format printers using self-adhesive material. The only issue for the past four years has been the inertia within the club that saw the panels fail to be updated to reflect new inductees in over four years. That's the level of inertia we were dealing with. Four bloody years.

If someone within the club is proposing to completely re-print and replace the existing (perfectly fit for purpose and in great condition) boards at a cost of £1500, then, in my opinion, dip into your own pocket to fund the vanity project. Just MHO. I am talking generally here - if there's a project that adds value and SMiSA members see the value and benefit and vote for it - great. Speaking in broad terms, I fail to see the value in proposing to spend £1500 on something that is already there and already performing the role of not being grey... and made of breezeblock. :P

Edited by pozbaird

Anyone got a picture of the HOF board? Does the Cabrini logo not just run along the bottom of it? If so can we not just cut the logo off? I'm sure that could be done at little or no cost.
I like the place being tarted up with them, not a great deal of money really imo and improves the look of the place.
Although Big Front Door along the bottom of them would look class [emoji6]

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

If there is a majority vote no for any one of them the money roles over. How is that not an option to save money?

Why not just add a 4th option to save the money so nobody gets confuse ?

8 minutes ago, Greenhill Road said:

Anyone got a picture of the HOF board? Does the Cabrini logo not just run along the bottom of it? If so can we not just cut the logo off? I'm sure that could be done at little or no cost.
I like the place being tarted up with them, not a great deal of money really imo and improves the look of the place.
Although Big Front Door along the bottom of them would look class emoji6.png

Here's one.

hof.jpg

Yes fair comment on the group season tickets mate.

I think as a hardcore of fans we are spending more on our club than probably any other set of fans supporting a club of our size.

I won't be alone in paying for a season ticket, paying a monthly fee for buy the buds and a monthly fee for the 1877 club.

I think the £2 a month discretionary spend is a great idea and I wouldn't like to see that just gifted over to the club personally.

Last quarter was different as we were in dire straits but actually even then that should probably have been paid back once the club decided to cash in on Kyle.

Yeah mate I'm more thinking give the club the benefit of spending it on what it will other than a vote. If they want to use it for players, improve the stadium or do something in the community so be it. I'm not massive on the way this works but I would still rather it than nothing. I'll always pay my membership for as long as they ask and I'm glad there's many that are the same.

Why not just add a 4th option to save the money so nobody gets confuse ?

It's not really confusing at all IMO. A majority no vote means carry the money over. I think that's pretty simple. A fourth option would not add any value because it means the same as no.

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It's not really confusing at all IMO. A majority no vote means carry the money over. I think that's pretty simple. A fourth option would not add any value because it means the same as no.

Well I found it confusing but maybe being the village idiot of the forum cause that :rolleyes: 

Decided not to agree with strips for a youth team.

Money should be spent to benefit club in some way. Are we saying that by sponsoring a clubs kit that they will then become St Mirren fans?  Don't think so.

Want to raise profile of club and get youngsters to pick our club, I feel we should be supporting the Street Wise initiative and Panda Club first and foremost before giving money away to any unconnected club.

Has anyone checked if Street Wise or Panda Club have everything they need to maintain and indeed further their own agendas?

Just saying.

I read the three proposals and I must admit none of them initially came across as inspired ideas. I have since read through the rest of this thread and I have become slightly more receptive to them but like many others I still have reservations.

Community season tickets (£6,000) – My first impression was this was just another cash grab by the club. Once again we seem to be handing over the bulk of our money to the club. I suppose it all depends on the criteria and administration of the tickets. SMISA should be putting their name about BUT until we buy the shares, filling empty seats is something the club should do. If this proposal goes ahead some of the cash should be utilised on branding and publicity to ensure SMISA get the appropriate credit for the venture and that their attempts to bring the local community on board are recognised in a beneficial way. I don’t think that just giving folk freebies, no matter how deserving, without having a wider strategy for bringing them on board as future supporters will work. 

Probably a no vote

2) Hall of Fame boards (£1,500) This seems like a bit of Laziness on behalf of the club marketing team. Surely as many have suggested there are other options for the club to sort this and look for income from sources other than SMISA. Getting SMISA’S name or LOGO visible in the stadium is something we should consider but I’m not sure this is the way.

Probably a No vote

3) Youth team sponsorship (£700) Again, we must get our name out there but benefitting one team is probably not the way forward. I like the idea of sponsoring leagues or cups where many teams can benefit.

Probably a no vote.

4) None of the above.

The idea of building up the pot and developing a proper strategy for branding and crediting SMISA with initiatives that will bring in widespread support and goodwill.

Probably a yes vote.

I know this post will probably seem negative and as many will point out provides no solutions to my reservations. There are the beginnings of some good idea’s in the proposal’s and they have raised some interesting debate. Democratic Decision making is always going to cause disagreement. Hopefully those who matter are paying heed to how these initial votes are being processed and working on a model that will provide effective leadership and decision making when the day finally comes to take the helm of ST MIRREN FC.

:withstupid

Democracy

If you're not in Power Criticise,

If you have the power don't take shit from those that criticise because you know best.

What is healthy is that proposals have been put to the Members and they are being debated in a decent fashion on here. Some interesting caveats have been mentioned and I hope the SMiSA Board take these into consideration.

this isn't what a signed up for,why are we paying for everything at the club?undersoil heating (did it get fixed)etc etc,why has club got begging bowl out every 3 months?they get fans season book money,fans at hospitality,fans buying merchandise (JD deal)just seems we paying for everything,our season ticket money etc pays wages,so what does the club actually pay for?a don't mind cash going on new player or so,but every little job we getting asked for cash,lights not working in car park,as smisa,a want money going into playing squad,maybe its just me,

15 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

this isn't what a signed up for,why are we paying for everything at the club?undersoil heating (did it get fixed)etc etc,why has club got begging bowl out every 3 months?they get fans season book money,fans at hospitality,fans buying merchandise (JD deal)just seems we paying for everything,our season ticket money etc pays wages,so what does the club actually pay for?a don't mind cash going on new player or so,but every little job we getting asked for cash,lights not working in car park,as smisa,a want money going into playing squad,maybe its just me,

Whilst I agree with 99% of this post. Until we actually own the club they should pay the players wages

:withstupid

SMISA

Smisa Money Is Scott's Answer