SMISA March Update

I like it div. You've got your game face on. Your 'GIRFUY Ayr & Dumbarton' face. That panel should be erected in the North Stand vomitories to let these visiting fan cnuts know we mean business. Couldn't put them in the South Stand - would frighten the kids.

[emoji4]

Never mind the kids, it scares the f**k out of me!

:)

8 hours ago, antrin said:

Among his several excellent ideas, this one from Vambo gave me an idea.

there are some really excellent wall paintings appearing all over Paisley currently.

surely similar could be done to the Stadium?

You mean like this one?

C8QQQLZXUAAtd-J.jpg

Think one of the SMiSA folk was asking on Twitter for their contact details so they could get something done at the stadium.

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

You mean like this one?

C8QQQLZXUAAtd-J.jpg

Think one of the SMiSA folk was asking on Twitter for their contact details so they could get something done at the stadium.

That would be great on and around the stadium. They have murals on the walls at the QofS ground, and they are an eye catching talking point (even if some of the artwork is a tad on the surrealist side in places....).

Excellent suggestion folks.

16 minutes ago, antrin said:

That's the very dab, Stu! :)

Ta, for that.  (Where is it?)

though I was thinking something grander and more beautiful, such as the one now at Gordon Street/Causeyside.

Apparently dab means something rather different these days, so the young folk tell me :unsure:

It's in Brown's Lane. There's also a Saints badge on the wall opposite. I'm not sure if it's the same person that did the other ones. The kingfisher one is fantastic, not so sure about the other one at the moment. I saw a post on the Paisley Facebook page that the Paisley First group had let go of the person responsible for them. DUnno whether that's the artist or the person that came up with the idea but either way it's nuts.

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

That would be great on and around the stadium. They have murals on the walls at the QofS ground, and they are an eye catching talking point (even if some of the artwork is a tad on the surrealist side in places....).

Excellent suggestion folks.

Aye, some of the Queens ones are a bit odd - the one with the chairmen on the train being the weirdest. There were also a few Queens fans unhappy that the one featuring great goalies from the club's history had Andy Goram in it. He wasn't there for very long, although I suppose they did win the Challenge Cup with him. Pleasantly surprised those murals haven't been vandalised.

I'd love to see us have something - either murals or just photographs of memorable moments - up on the railings around the ground like they have at Old Trafford. Doubt it'll happen though because they'll just get vandalised or won't be seen to be cost effective/provide a return on investment.

16 hours ago, buddiecat said:

All good solid debate and a few good ideas being listed. This is what we are all about and i would ask those who are posting on this thread and who have time to spare on a Monday night, to consider putting their names up for election to the SMiSA board (application forms are available,check out www.smisa.net for the info) and others to consider emailing their ideas to [email protected] which is the official channel for ideas to be put on for a vote. Send an email with your ideas (even if it's just "give us an option to carry funds over")

Eh, no it's not. It's contact@SMiSA.net unless you have changed it very recently?

SMISA could possibly be a bit more active in trying to recruit new members id say. Maybe one of our best supports of the season this coming Saturday. What about direct debit forms, pens and posting boxes at the stadium for new people to sign up? There will be more saints fans that can afford £12 a month.

22 hours ago, div said:

To be fair a lot of kids DO get in for free every week. The club have been giving out free kids season tickets for the family stand for years now.

I only pay £15 per season for my son to sit in the West with me and have done now for years. Next year he'll be 13 so I'll have to buy him a ST but there's no doubt he has the Saints bug good and proper now and it's all been down to the virtually free season ticket he's had up until now.

Yes, lots do, but it is organised,controlled and ticketed, therefore limiting and takes commitment and time.  A kid off the street can't just turn up and get in for nowt.

No.  What I am advocating is free entry to all kids, no matter how many, whether unaccompanied or not.  Advertise that all over Paisley and we'll eventually get many, many new fans to near fill the ground.  I believe you'll also get more parents going with their kids (just to keep an eye on some of them).

It will pay off in the long term.  It's how I started!

4 hours ago, Stu said:

You mean like this one?

C8QQQLZXUAAtd-J.jpg

Why is Harry Potter wearing an absolutely Ginormous Top Hat?  TBH it's not great quality, but from a distance would probably look fine.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Apparently dab means something rather different these days, so the young folk tell me :unsure:

It's in Brown's Lane. There's also a Saints badge on the wall opposite. I'm not sure if it's the same person that did the other ones. The kingfisher one is fantastic, not so sure about the other one at the moment. I saw a post on the Paisley Facebook page that the Paisley First group had let go of the person responsible for them. DUnno whether that's the artist or the person that came up with the idea but either way it's nuts.

Aye, some of the Queens ones are a bit odd - the one with the chairmen on the train being the weirdest. There were also a few Queens fans unhappy that the one featuring great goalies from the club's history had Andy Goram in it. He wasn't there for very long, although I suppose they did win the Challenge Cup with him. Pleasantly surprised those murals haven't been vandalised.

I'd love to see us have something - either murals or just photographs of memorable moments - up on the railings around the ground like they have at Old Trafford. Doubt it'll happen though because they'll just get vandalised or won't be seen to be cost effective/provide a return on investment.

Vandalism? That's why I think anything put up should be High up.  God knows we have enough Grey Cladding for that!   In saying that, the Fans Bricks seem to be unvandalised, unless someone knows different?

Paintings/Murals will be a Commission and can be very expensive. Prints or photos are cheaper and perhaps have more longevity, depending on the materials.  SMiSA could fund it... on a vote of course!

I don't mind what the members vote for, that's Democracy, but I think the place needs brightened up and facilities for the fans improved

On 05/04/2017 at 3:19 PM, div said:

To be fair a lot of kids DO get in for free every week. The club have been giving out free kids season tickets for the family stand for years now.

I only pay £15 per season for my son to sit in the West with me and have done now for years. Next year he'll be 13 so I'll have to buy him a ST but there's no doubt he has the Saints bug good and proper now and it's all been down to the virtually free season ticket he's had up until now.

I get this div, but I reckon that the bureaucracy is off putting. I had a free ticket for one of my daughters but messed up last year and missed the deadline so this year the occasional matches she had attended I've had to use pal's spare tickets or bought her one. I also have a football obsessive nephew who is a thistle fan but when my dad had a season ticket he had the kids ticket and came to saints when thistle were playing away. Makes a change from young boys and girls only being interested in the glamour of the English Premier League.

I think that in a stadium with, usually, as many spare seats as ours has we should be encouraging all kids in. We are competing with the armchair spectator experience of English football and need to use all the tools in our arsenal.

8 hours ago, bazil85 said:

SMISA could possibly be a bit more active in trying to recruit new members id say. Maybe one of our best supports of the season this coming Saturday. What about direct debit forms, pens and posting boxes at the stadium for new people to sign up? There will be more saints fans that can afford £12 a month.

Forms were included in "The Saint" newspaper which was handed out at several games and also handed out to people in the town centre and to businesses/shops/hairdressers/doctor and dentist surgeries,and the hospital reception areas were constantly topped up with 100 copies a week at one time, copies were placed in a lot of Renfrewshire newsagents, Des Barr the newsagent on Glasgow road distributed thousands of them to other newsagents and arranged for them to be delivered along with customers newspapers He along with great help from David Riley distributed 3600 copies. All in over 10,000 copies with sign up forms were distributed by SMiSA members, i'd say that's being active.

19 hours ago, antrin said:

Among his several excellent ideas, this one from Vambo gave me an idea.

there are some really excellent wall paintings appearing all over Paisley currently.

surely similar could be done to the Stadium?

We have discussed this at a special meeting with Gordon on 20th, February, it's one for the future.

Forms were included in "The Saint" newspaper which was handed out at several games and also handed out to people in the town centre and to businesses/shops/hairdressers/doctor and dentist surgeries,and the hospital reception areas were constantly topped up with 100 copies a week at one time, copies were placed in a lot of Renfrewshire newsagents, Des Barr the newsagent on Glasgow road distributed thousands of them to other newsagents and arranged for them to be delivered along with customers newspapers He along with great help from David Riley distributed 3600 copies. All in over 10,000 copies with sign up forms were distributed by SMiSA members, i'd say that's being active.

I'm a season ticket holder and I wasn't aware of it. Not one item mentioned in your post.

I'd probably say if I wasn't aware of it then the likeliness is a lot of other St Mirren fans that could likely be paying members wouldn't be aware of it either. So I'd say they could possibly do something a bit different to be more active/ raise awareness. Fair comment I think.

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

I'm a season ticket holder and I wasn't aware of it. Not one item mentioned in your post.

I'd probably say if I wasn't aware of it then the likeliness is a lot of other St Mirren fans that could likely be paying members wouldn't be aware of it either. So I'd say they could possibly do something a bit different to be more active/ raise awareness. Fair comment I think.

Absolutely, and we are always looking for volunteers to help out with things like this if you or anyone else reading this are interested in helping out.

So a stadium that's 50% empty every week wants 6k to give away free tickets which it could do for 0 extra cost. Is that really the best use for the money? Come on your joking surely?

I guess it's one way of SMISA giving the club money without chumps like Stu Dick reporting us for breaching whatever constitution he believes we have breached.

You also have to remember that St Mirren and SMiSA are two different entity's. While we all want the club to do well SMiSA still have a massive bit of work to do in keeping the membership high to allow us to buy the club.

SMiSA donating the tickets is different to the club donating tickets. If SMiSA donates you the tickets and you don't know who they are you will look into it and see the good work they are doing. Maybe even tell one of their pals about them or they may sign up.

8 hours ago, slapsalmon said:

So a stadium that's 50% empty every week wants 6k to give away free tickets which it could do for 0 extra cost. Is that really the best use for the money? Come on your joking surely?

Just one point to make here - we are the club. We will own the club in the next ten years - that's already agreed. If we want a club that has a disconnect with the local community, don't give the tickets away. If we want a club that has less money to spend on wages etc, don't give the club the money for them. Some people still talk as if this is a them and us situation. It isn't. It's fine to disagree with the suggestion, but at least recognise the rationale behind it, rather than miss the point completely.

If this is good for the community and good for the club, it's fine by me.

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Just one point to make here - we are the club. We will own the club in the next ten years - that's already agreed. If we want a club that has a disconnect with the local community, don't give the tickets away. If we want a club that has less money to spend on wages etc, don't give the club the money for them. Some people still talk as if this is a them and us situation. It isn't. It's fine to disagree with the suggestion, but at least recognise the rationale behind it, rather than miss the point completely.

If this is good for the community and good for the club, it's fine by me.

I would vote for it.... IF the Club let ALL Kids in Free... NO bureaucracy