St Mirren v Dumbarton Championship 8/4/17

shull

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well, my Dad and I arrived about 2:40, seated by 2:45 in the main stand and the atmosphere was pretty upbeat.

Game kicked off, pretty reasonable stuff from two teams at the lower end of the league.

Decent move for the first goal, although their goalie looked a tad silly, then they scored and spoilt the expected rout.

The penalty, well, shit effort but we were still, IMO, the better side in the first half.

Second half was scrappy in the extreme, our two main men in midfield, Mallan & McGinn, were very poor and, as such, we lost any real threat, although they did sit deep and gave us opportunities we never looked like taking. I thought Todd looked decent when he came on, albeit very late.

Overall, uninspiring. The usual wallopers in the crowd shouting abuse at a few players spoil this "great atmosphere", confirming that home games are a chore compared to away games.

For a change other results went our way.

The Morton game will be interesting.

Oh, JR looked very dapper on the side line, do I get a gold star for that observation?

Last thing, SMISA should splash out on sunglasses for the main stand, stupid sunshine spoilt the game, summer fitba, my arse. :lol:

Great Report

Thank You, Stan Park :)

9 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I agree that Baird wasn't great yesterday but that could be levelled at most of the team and certainly all of the back four, keeper included, IMO.

What was really worrying to me was that neither Irvine nor McKenzie seemed to take any time to talk to Baird during the game either to give encouragement or advice and I watched for it after his mistakes.

Thomson of Dumbarton has been a real handful any time I've seen him this season. He's not the best player but his physicality certainly unsettles our guys.

We're obviously missing big Harry but changing the partnership at this stage and dropping Gordon in there may not work.

Very well put.

I will always stick up for players wearing the stripes and doing their best but after a couple of competent displays, Jack suddenly looked like a frightened rabbit yesterday... and not the band either.

The series of sideways passes between him and MacKenzie summed it up... Jack had several chances to hit a telling pass forwards but opted to play safe and give the ball to MacKenzie every time... he was so afraid of doing the wrong thing or losing possession.

No idea why there was such a marked difference in the space of a week.

That said, as always, the lad never once hid and put in a few telling tackles.

To the fans in general I would issue the plea:

Get behind him please.

Criticising a young player low in confidence will achieve exactly what?

18 minutes ago, smcc said:

Gary's game has gone to pot and this has no influence on Baird's game? Baird is a young player who gets little help or support from the experienced defenders around him.

Baird was getting constant advice from JR and JF yesterday , if I heard JR shout "Jacko" once yesterday , I heard it 20 times. IMO they have major concerns over his performance yesterday !

14 minutes ago, billyg said:

Baird was getting constant advice from JR and JF yesterday , if I heard JR shout "Jacko" once yesterday , I heard it 20 times. IMO they have major concerns over his performance yesterday !

I am not in a position to hear JR and JF shouting "encouragement". I would, however, point out that "advice" from the sidelines is one thing; help and support from his team mates is another.

Edited by smcc

12 hours ago, yardley1877 said:

Thoughts on today's game:

- we we very very poor. We barely deserved a point -couldn't string two passes together

- we don't seem to have a settled penalty taker. Strange.

- The referee was absolutely shocking. An absolute embarrassment.

- Dumbarton came to ruin the game and get a point.

- We lack pace without Morgan

- McGinn looks shattered

- Mallan is not the player he thinks he is.

And you are not the supporter you think you are.

We all have our vices kid.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Very well put.

I will always stick up for players wearing the stripes and doing their best but after a couple of competent displays, Jack suddenly looked like a frightened rabbit yesterday... and not the band either.

The series of sideways passes between him and MacKenzie summed it up... Jack had several chances to hit a telling pass forwards but opted to play safe and give the ball to MacKenzie every time... he was so afraid of doing the wrong thing or losing possession.

No idea why there was such a marked difference in the space of a week.

That said, as always, the lad never once hid and put in a few telling tackles.

To the fans in general I would issue the plea:

Get behind him please.

Criticising a young player low in confidence will achieve exactly what?

Indeed. Not a great game yesterday but we are still off the bottom.

Jack still has his junior moments but he is a young player with good potential. The McKenzie / Baird partnership looked good for the most part against Ayr and will have good days and bad days just like any other partnership. When Harry Davis is back (assuming he does come back), Baird will get a rest and his development can be more carefully managed. We needed him to step up, and I think he is doing all that can be expected considering the pressure pot we are in and his relative youth and inexperience. Jack is not a concern for me.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I am concerned, however, that Jack's nickname appears to be "Jacko". This is a major problem and needs to be addressed immediately :)  

Edited by southsidebud

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

What happen to our support yesterday ? Around 400 less than we had against Ayr :huh:  For what was 1 of our most important game of the season, to have around 3600 in the home end was poor.

To have a support in the Home end is never poor.

Those there yesterday were tremendous.

3 minutes ago, renfrew said:

What happen to our support yesterday ? Around 400 less than we had against Ayr :huh:  For what was 1 of our most important game of the season, to have around 3600 in the home end was poor.

Good atmosphere though - lots of noise and kept going by the drum/singing section. The bond between fans and team is the best for years. Would be great to take a huge, noisy support to Greenock. Really looking forward to the first hugely important derby game for a while. Would love 2000 saints to make the short trip and see us take revenge for the last trip.

18 hours ago, elvis said:

Morton will rip us a new ass hole .

FFS Elvis you are dead ya fat deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwich eating plonker, your unrelentingly doom and gloom posts have been mildly amusing for a while but are now becoming tedious and repetitive.

18 hours ago, TopCat said:

In this season yes.

This is our fourth game against Dumbarton this season. We haven't beat them once.

When you consider the clear difference in quality of players between the teams, this is quite remarkable.

Are you Elvis the cat in disguise?

41 minutes ago, renfrew said:

probably no free tickets given out .

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Overall, uninspiring. The usual wallopers in the crowd shouting abuse at a few players spoil this "great atmosphere", confirming that home games are a chore compared to away games.

Sounds a bit like the forum but I'm with you on the away games

:withstupid

Go Away (to games)

2 hours ago, magnus said:

Good atmosphere though - lots of noise and kept going by the drum/singing section. The bond between fans and team is the best for years. Would be great to take a huge, noisy support to Greenock. Really looking forward to the first hugely important derby game for a while. Would love 2000 saints to make the short trip and see us take revenge for the last trip.

Atmosphere was good apart from the 2 females sitting in W1 screaming at everybody on the pitch. Took my hearing out to get some piece and quite from them :argue:

3 hours ago, renfrew said:

Ayr United 650 away fans, Dumbarton 268 there is the missing 400 for you.

Just 15 miles away the team in 1st place took 2000 away fans to the team in 3rd only 4200 at that game.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just 15 miles away the team in 1st place took 2000 away fans to the team in 3rd only 4200 at that game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Over 3,000 home supporters for a team that were bottom of the league is a fantastic achievement for our support.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

We don't need a new one.

We'll persevere with you.

post of the day :lol:

he knows he's an arsehole, he gets a stawner over winding up genuine st mirren fans,

whit a feckin cock socket he really is. 

Edited by Hoof Hearted

3 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

FFS Elvis you are dead ya fat deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwich eating plonker, your unrelentingly doom and gloom posts have been mildly amusing for a while but are now becoming tedious and repetitive.

never amusing imo, just childish, not what you would expect from a grown man. 

5 hours ago, DLBud said:

That might just end up being the biggest point of the season.

Dumbarton are no mugs and Aitken has them playing as a well organised team that work hard and make it difficult to play against them.

If we'd had this squad since the start of the season we'd be a top four side. Of that I have no doubt, however, every current top four side has had shitty results along the way and, by the way, they've all lost points to Dumbarton.

It's the mark of a decent side that they pick up points when not at their best and that was us yesterday.

People have looked at the last 5 games and are worried about facing the top four away from home. I'm not entirely convince the top four have been playing particularly well recently and I'd take our form against theirs right now.

A better footballing team may well have taken advantage of our off day yesterday so let's take that as a bonus and move onto Morton on Tuesday lifted by the fact that we can finally look over our shoulder at someone.

Absolutely.

I've taken a look at Dumbarton's recent results. As well as beating Morton at home last week, they have picked up draws on the road against us, Hibs and Falkirk. To be fair they have also been beaten by Ayr and Dunfermline on other recent away days but it is quite clear that they are capable of getting results on the road and are no mugs. 

I expected and hoped for a win yesterday but I guess we just need to take the point (which was all we deserved) and move on. I think Tuesday night's game will suit us more and I believe we can get at least a point to go clear in 9th.

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There were 4600 when we played Ayr and 3900 yesterday. 700 of a different so 300 less in the home stands. What your point about the size of the Morton support ?  My point is we had a lot less fans yesterday than last week.

4 hours ago, renfrew said:

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

There were 4600 when we played Ayr and 3900 yesterday. 700 of a different so 300 less in the home stands. What your point about the size of the Morton support ?  My point is we had a lot less fans yesterday than last week.

Feck me. It'll 10,000 in a wee while!