St Mirren Contract thread

Bloody Jack Baird is a good back up centre back [emoji849][emoji849] my heart was in my mouth every time he went near the ball today. Hopefully Gordon is close to 100%

Would love for Jack to prove me wrong but come on son! You need to up your game a good bit. He has a lot of work to do before deserving a new deal.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Bloody Jack Baird is a good back up centre back emoji849.pngemoji849.png my heart was in my mouth every time he went near the ball today. Hopefully Gordon is close to 100%

Would love for Jack to prove me wrong but come on son! You need to up your game a good bit. He has a lot of work to do before deserving a new deal.

So Jack had a poor game.

So did every other player on the park.

Maybe we shouldn't offer any of them a contract.

So Jack had a poor game.
So did every other player on the park.
Maybe we shouldn't offer any of them a contract.

His passing is very poor and can cost us but why are other players not showing for him and giving him more or better options? The other side of his game is great. Number of excellent save tackles today, particularly in second half. I think he has scope to improve but doesn't deserve the amount of abuse some give him.

I have to say, Jack had a mare, perhaps even a Mair. Not one pass went to a Saints' player and looked nervous throughout. Maybe a little too early to send for the dumpster but I hope this was just one of those games. On that showing Webster might be in with a shout for a recall.

9 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

His passing is very poor and can cost us but why are other players not showing for him and giving him more or better options? The other side of his game is great. Number of excellent save tackles today, particularly in second half. I think he has scope to improve but doesn't deserve the amount of abuse some give him.

Exactly.

The midfield hid today for much of the game, putting both Baird and MacKenzie in difficult positions.

However, the worst "passer" today was Mallan. For someone so talented, he made several passes today that were intercepted and put us in a load of trouble.

However, they're both young players and inconsistency is to be expected and shouldn't be jumped upon at every chance.

FWIW I did think Baird had a 'mare and commented on it in the first half. However, there were other, more experience players who were equally culpable in the 'mare stakes.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I have to say, Jack had a mare, perhaps even a Mair. Not one pass went to a Saints' player and looked nervous throughout. Maybe a little too early to send for the dumpster but I hope this was just one of those games. On that showing Webster might be in with a shout for a recall.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

We have 5 games left where we'll have to scrap for everything we can get. I dread the prospect of Webster with his semi-detached attitude getting back into the team. He's been a real letdown, I never expected him run through brick walls for us but he rarely looked as if he gave a damn. I'm not sure about the specific terms on his option but I see he's sitting on 19 games - if he gets another year for 20 games then I'd pack his bags now and take the consequences. Gordon & Quinn both made it onto the bench ahead of him for today's match which hopefully is a sign that they're ahead of him in the pecking order!

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

We have 5 games left where we'll have to scrap for everything we can get. I dread the prospect of Webster with his semi-detached attitude getting back into the team. He's been a real letdown, I never expected him run through brick walls for us but he rarely looked as if he gave a damn. I'm not sure about the specific terms on his option but I see he's sitting on 19 games - if he gets another year for 20 games then I'd pack his bags now and take the consequences. Gordon & Quinn both made it onto the bench ahead of him for today's match which hopefully is a sign that they're ahead of him in the pecking order!

I truly forgot about Ben Gordon. My comment was slightly tongue in cheek to emphasis how bad I though Jack was yesterday. I do hope he plays better, and the team as a whole, versus Morton. We win and it means Ayr have to better us in two, possibly three games out of their four and Raith need to win one more or draw two, possibly three out of their four. The great escape would look closer to reality.

Edited by stlucifer

As I've said in the matchday thread the abuse Baird was getting was totally uncalled for. It's much harder being a young defender than it is a midfielder in the position we're in. Yes, Jack had a poor game but we were certainly not doing him any favours from the stands. He has ability and the physical attributes of a good defender, I think he'll develop into a good player for us.

People say Baird is being unfairly pounced on! He is not, yes other players had off games yesterday but Baird has unfortunately had more off games than on ones this season. That's why he comes in for a bit more stick. Same as Clarkson, Hutton, Langfield and Webster. Just because of his age there is no need to wrap him in cotton wool. Hardin and Walsh didn't get that liberty and neither did Mallon at start of season.

Any person worth making football their career should be able to take criticism and use it to encourage better performances. If he can't then he'll struggle.

Mcginn and Mallon had off games yesterday but don't get as much stick because they've been on brilliant form recently. Every high ball or pass into the centre of defence yesterday, Dumbarton looked like they could score!

My point originally on this thread is I wouldn't renew his contract. I'd love him to change my mind but can we honestly see him as a good squad player based on this season? We've just went 9th place, next season we'll be looking to be at the other end of the table. To do that Jack Ross has to strengthen. I just don't think Baird adds value. I hope he uses his critics to his advantage. He needs to be fighting for his career right now! Digging deep on and off the pitch and showing he's hungry for it. I want him to succeed like every other player at St Mirren.

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Why should football players have to take criticism when at their place of work ?  Would you like strangers to come to your workplace and give you verbal and if that happen would that make you preform better ?

If they were paying for the "privilege" and bazil85 was benefitting, I suspect, Yes. As long as there was no physical violence. As for should we hurl abuse at players who are wearing our strip? I don't think it helps.

Baird will get a new contract. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't. He's had a few bad games over the season, despite attempts to rewrite history which have been exposed as such.

He's a young central defender who makes the odd mistake, but who has the potential to be a very good defender. Jack Ross isn't as short sighted as some of our fans, thankfully.

Jack Baird had a Mare today. but worse was Stephen Mallan !! yet it JB who gets the flak 

Mallan never hid he kept trying to do things even when they weren't working for him. It wasn't his best game by any means but I would say he was better than McGinn yesterday (in my opinion).

I knew as soon as Baird played a couple of misplaced passes yesterday there would be a "told you so" type post in this thread, but as you say there were loads of players that weren't at the races yesterday.

People say Baird is being unfairly pounced on! He is not, yes other players had off games yesterday but Baird has unfortunately had more off games than on ones this season. That's why he comes in for a bit more stick. Same as Clarkson, Hutton, Langfield and Webster. Just because of his age there is no need to wrap him in cotton wool. Hardin and Walsh didn't get that liberty and neither did Mallon at start of season.

Any person worth making football their career should be able to take criticism and use it to encourage better performances. If he can't then he'll struggle.

Mcginn and Mallon had off games yesterday but don't get as much stick because they've been on brilliant form recently. Every high ball or pass into the centre of defence yesterday, Dumbarton looked like they could score!

My point originally on this thread is I wouldn't renew his contract. I'd love him to change my mind but can we honestly see him as a good squad player based on this season? We've just went 9th place, next season we'll be looking to be at the other end of the table. To do that Jack Ross has to strengthen. I just don't think Baird adds value. I hope he uses his critics to his advantage. He needs to be fighting for his career right now! Digging deep on and off the pitch and showing he's hungry for it. I want him to succeed like every other player at St Mirren.

Walsh didn't get that liberty? There's a thread running now discussing what he brought/could bring to the team.

There were plenty of people defending Mallan against the negative posters earlier in the season.

Talk about selective reading.

From reading these comments are people actually thinking Baird is being unfairly singled out for criticism? I think that's crazy! Mallon, Morgan, Magennis all young players that have added a lot of value this season.  they've had off spells as well but the reason they don't come under the criticism Baird gets, IMO is very obvious.  Their poor performances are a lot fewer, I unfortunately think Baird has had more poor games than good ones.  If he hasn't would he of been dropped for McKenzie, Gordon and even Webster at different points this season? 

Baird has had more off games than on this season, he's cost us more goals (agreed that's down to the position he plays) I'm not just picking out Baird for criticism, it's frustration that Saturday was one of many games he's not been at the races.  That's playing against Dumbarton strikers.  In what world is he going to be good enough next season to make an impact if we want to push on at the other end of the table?  Every long or high ball he looked beaten. If I had seen promise in him then sure keep him, give him another year but I haven't. 

Have I missed his improvements over the last two seasons with likely 30+ first team matches in each? he is young yes but he hasn't developed from where I'm looking.  That's why he gets more critic than say Mallon, Irvine or Morgan when they went off the boil a bit.  

As for people saying this doesn't help, it's part of football and always will be.  Any player worth the profession will use it to improve their game.  A lot like Mallon, Morgan and Irvine have. All had a number of critics and all have became better players recently. If any of those three had consistently under performed I'm sure they would be getting the same. 

It's far easier to criticise young goalkeepers and defenders as mistakes lead to goals conceded. Some of the boo boys at SMFC need to have a look at themselves. Jack Baird has the potential to have a decent career but constant abuse from the "experts" in the stands cannot help. Get off his back

Just now, cambiebud said:

It's far easier to criticise young goalkeepers and defenders as mistakes lead to goals conceded. Some of the boo boys at SMFC need to have a look at themselves. Jack Baird has the potential to have a decent career but constant abuse from the "experts" in the stands cannot help. Get off his back

Correct Well Said....................

Beaten once in last 8 league games winning 5............. team should be getting praised not selective criticism.

There are no experts criticizing on here , just grumpy ole gits

20 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Any person worth making football their career should be able to take criticism and use it to encourage better performances.

This is probably the most idiotic post I have seen on here and there has been some competition.

The only people who bleat this total crap are people who would never be able to tolerate 5 minutes of the shit they dish out to our players and expect them to "thrive on".

Anyone shouting abuse at our players is a c**t and a coward. Pure and simple.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is probably the most idiotic post I have seen on here and there has been some competition.

The only people who bleat this total crap are people who would never be able to tolerate 5 minutes of the shit they dish out to our players and expect them to "thrive on".

This shows, yet again, you have hardly ever been to any football matches in your sad life. I happen to agree dishing out abuse to any St Mirren players is only detrimental unfortunately the passion some have for football boils over and, unfortunately, this side appears but without the passion you would not get the positive atmosphere that has been present in the last few months. The passion that can help the team. Unfortunately you only know passion you have read about and have no experience of which shows time and time again in your clinical attitude. Run along. :byebye As for coward, I doubt you would call anyone that if you were ever at a game. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh the irony.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

What absolute rubbish! First of all who's giving anyone abuse? I've never given any football player in a St Mirren top abuse.  Frustration and criticism at under performing yes but abuse is a very strong word. If you went to any game at all the first half of this season, you'd of seen. Booing and jeering at players were common place, it wasn't abuse it was frustration at a very poor team. 

Is football the only career where people get criticised? No it's not so how can you possibly make comment on how I would react if the person(s) paying my wages showed frustration if I under-performed? How would you know how I or anyone else on here would react? Personally in my job I'd like to think if I was under-performing and my boss was critical it WOULD encourage me to do better. 

C**t and coward? Pitiful comment without foundation! The only person dishing out abuse is you with that comment, how hypocritical!  

I cant comment on saturdays game as I never attended due to working but the games that I have been to I have seen more positives than negatives with Baird, he's solid in his tackles and he makes his timings spot on only down fall is his passing, and communication, he needs to develop these two with the help of the senior players round him and the management team. So I say give him a year contract and hope he gets better.

Along with Gary MacKenzie, Jack Baird had a tremendous game last night. Hopefully some more performances like that between now and the end of the season will not only mean we stay in the league but also ensure a new contract for him.

I missed the last game down there, but if Baird was as bad as has been reported on here that night and after a shaky performance on Saturday, the character he showed last night was remarkable for such a young player. Noticed he was one of the players Jack Ross singled out for praise which would suggest to me that he knows he is a young player who has a great potential and nights like last night can only help his confidence.