St Mirren Contract thread

1 hour ago, buddiekev said:

Along with Gary MacKenzie, Jack Baird had a tremendous game last night. Hopefully some more performances like that between now and the end of the season will not only mean we stay in the league but also ensure a new contract for him.

I missed the last game down there, but if Baird was as bad as has been reported on here that night and after a shaky performance on Saturday, the character he showed last night was remarkable for such a young player. Noticed he was one of the players Jack Ross singled out for praise which would suggest to me that he knows he is a young player who has a great potential and nights like last night can only help his confidence.

Baird's saving block on Shankland's effort at 1-1 was pivotal, as they had just equalised and were in the ascendancy.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:43 AM, buddiekev said:

Along with Gary MacKenzie, Jack Baird had a tremendous game last night. Hopefully some more performances like that between now and the end of the season will not only mean we stay in the league but also ensure a new contract for him.

I missed the last game down there, but if Baird was as bad as has been reported on here that night and after a shaky performance on Saturday, the character he showed last night was remarkable for such a young player. Noticed he was one of the players Jack Ross singled out for praise which would suggest to me that he knows he is a young player who has a great potential and nights like last night can only help his confidence.

Baird had a better game and had a goal saving tackle in the first half.  Tremendous might be pushing it but it was one of his better performances in difficult conditions. 

I still get frustrated at him booting the ball out or up the park under minimal pressure though and he has a lack of confidence moving forward with the ball.  Would love to see him work on his vision and passing to improve his game.  Like I've said I'd like to see him do better and win a new contract and hopefully that's the first of five solid performances between now and the end of the season that does it for him.  Long way to go before I'll be convinced he deserves one though. 

Baird had a better game and had a goal saving tackle in the first half.  Tremendous might be pushing it but it was one of his better performances in difficult conditions. 
I still get frustrated at him booting the ball out or up the park under minimal pressure though and he has a lack of confidence moving forward with the ball.  Would love to see him work on his vision and passing to improve his game.  Like I've said I'd like to see him do better and win a new contract and hopefully that's the first of five solid performances between now and the end of the season that does it for him.  Long way to go before I'll be convinced he deserves one though. 

Thankfully Jack Ross makes the decisions, and Baird will get his new contract once we're safe, along a few others. [emoji106]

17 hours ago, Soctty said:

Thankfully Jack Ross makes the decisions, and Baird will get his new contract once we're safe, along a few others. emoji106.png

A lot more confident he'll be one of the ones securing a new contract than me.  Think he still has work to do between now and end of the season to get one.  Still I hope you're right and he plays a big part like everyone else.  COYS 

A lot more confident he'll be one of the ones securing a new contract than me.  Think he still has work to do between now and end of the season to get one.  Still I hope you're right and he plays a big part like everyone else.  COYS 

I know mate - you keep saying. [emoji6]

On Monday, April 03, 2017 at 3:34 PM, bazil85 said:

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I couldn't see it. Thoughts on contracts for next season? I know it will be dependent on us staying up what we'll do.  I'm a lot more confident we'll stay up now so I feel it's time to discuss.  My thoughts as below.  Also if anyone has any comments on U20s and who should be signed released feel free to post.  I haven't seen enough of them. I'm pretty sure I have most of the contract terms correct.

1.       Jamie Langfield – Contract up (Out)

2.       Stelios Demetriou – Contract up (Extend)

3.       Gary Irvine – Contract up (Extend)

4.       Andy Webster – Contract up (Out)

5.       Ben Gordon – Contract up (Undecided/ Likely Out)

6.       Gary Mackenzie – Contract up (Extend)

7.       David Clarkson – Contract up (Out)

8.       Rocco Quinn – Contract up (Undecided/ Likely Out)

9.       John Sutton – 2018

10.   Stephen Mallan – 2018

11.   Cammy Smith – Loan (Try get back/ Sign)

14.   Kyle Hutton – 2018 (Try get out)

15.   Jack Baird – Contract Up (Out)

16.   Rory Loy – Loan (Try get back/ Sign)

17.   Lewis Morgan – 2018

18.   Lewis McLear – 2018

19.   Jordan Stewart – Contract up (Undecided/ Likely Out)

20.   Craig Storie – Loan (Out)

21.   Billy O’Brien – Loan (Sign)

22.   Stephen McGinn – 2018

23.   Pal Fjelde – Contract up/ year option (Out)

24.   Harry Davis – Loan (depending on injury try get back)

25.   Josh Todd – Contract up (Out)

42.   Kyle Magennis – 2019

44.   Adam Eckersley – Contract up (extend)

Under 20s

28.   Reece Wilson GK

30.   Greig McNaughton DF

31.   Nathan Flanagan MF

32.   Dylan McKendry DF

33.   Craig Johnston FW

34.   Kalvin Orsi DF

35.   Darren Whyte MF

36.   Connor O’Keefe MF

37.   Mark Morrison DF

38.   Luke Barclay MF

39.   Andrew McDonald DF

40.   Cameron MacPherson MF

41.   Lee Fawkes MF

43.   Chris Hendry GK

I  wouldn't argue with those you have said you would keep. Largely too, I agree with those you would allow to leave or move on. I don't agree that Jack Bird should go however.  Still growing,  still developing. Unsure too about Josh Todd as we gave seen little of him so far and the same goes for Fjelde. Some, like Webster, Clarkston and Jamie Langfield have come to the natural end of their playing careers. Best of luck to all....this is a tough business. 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

dito B)

Nope.

Most people have a player or manager which they unfairly deride for no apparent reason.*

Baird is a young player who has had inconsistent performances, like Mallan, Morgan and Magennis.

Whether you like it or not, Baird had a very good performance on Tuesday and made your previous assertions look a tad misplaced. I was wanting him replaced by Gordon, but I was wrong.

*See TC for complete throbbery in the manager stakes.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

26 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Nope.

Most people have a player or manager which they unfairly deride for no apparent reason.*

Baird is a young player who has had inconsistent performances, like Mallan, Morgan and Magennis.

Whether you like it or not, Baird had a very good performance on Tuesday and made your previous assertions look a tad misplaced. I was wanting him replaced by Gordon, but I was wrong.

*See TC for complete throbbery in the manager stakes.:lol:

Why would I not like it if a St Mirren player had a good game? :lol: Crazy comment haha 

We've been around this on the thred a few times, I don't think there's much more to say.  I'm not going to change my mind on Baird's merits of a new contract and nor will anyone with the exception of the player himself change that.  

Decent game on Tuesday, I do hope it's something he continues tomorrow and builds on.  Less lumping the ball up or out the park under minimal pressure though would be great Jacky boy! 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I  wouldn't argue with those you have said you would keep. Largely too, I agree with those you would allow to leave or move on. I don't agree that Jack Bird should go however.  Still growing,  still developing. Unsure too about Josh Todd as we gave seen little of him so far and the same goes for Fjelde. Some, like Webster, Clarkston and Jamie Langfield have come to the natural end of their playing careers. Best of luck to all....this is a tough business. 

Agree we haven't seen a great deal of Fjelde and Todd, i think that'll be largely why the players go.  Jack Ross will be looking to strengthen next season and will likely use the wages to bring in other players to challenge the current team.  On the other hand depending on who we could lose, these players might be offered a chance.  All ifs and buts.  Looking forward to some good news stories once we secure our Championship status. 

25 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Why would I not like it if a St Mirren player had a good game? :lol: Crazy comment haha 

We've been around this on the thred a few times, I don't think there's much more to say.  I'm not going to change my mind on Baird's merits of a new contract and nor will anyone with the exception of the player himself change that.  

Decent game on Tuesday, I do hope it's something he continues tomorrow and builds on.  Less lumping the ball up or out the park under minimal pressure though would be great Jacky boy! 

Your laughable deflection aside, his willingness to clear his lines was an improvement on previous performances.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Your laughable deflection aside, his willingness to clear his lines was an improvement on previous performances.

Tuesday was an improvement on his Saturday performance yes.  Still a lot of improvement required in my eyes before he deserves a new deal.  I'm not saying there isn't times when smashing the ball out or up the park is needed but he does it far too often, sometimes under very little pressure.  His passing and vision are not strong points of his game.  Surely even you would agree with that? 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Tuesday was an improvement on his Saturday performance yes.  Still a lot of improvement required in my eyes before he deserves a new deal.  I'm not saying there isn't times when smashing the ball out or up the park is needed but he does it far too often, sometimes under very little pressure.  His passing and vision are not strong points of his game.  Surely even you would agree with that? 

So yes or no.

Was his performance on Tuesday acceptable to you?

So yes or no.

If he had of scored a hat-trick on Tuesday that would still not have been acceptable to him.
I think that Fjelde's lack of game time even as a sub would indicate he won't be here next season. Todd I think will get another season as he has only just moved to full time football and has had a few cameos that indicates he may have a bit about him and be a decent squad player especially if Mallan or Magennis move on.

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

So yes or no.

Of course it was, the team won 4-1 and every player played his part in it.  Is that performance alone good enough if it was up to me to be offering the contracts this summer? No, he's had more off games than good ones in my opinion.  More often looked unassured at long balls.  Also lacks passing, composure and vision which are very important for a center back. 

So let me ask you some questions.  If Gordon and Davis were both fit right now and had been for the whole time they'd been here, where would Baird be in the selection order? IMO he'd be fourth choice behind Davis and McKenzie with Gordon being preferred over him (based on evidence when the different players have been fit Gordon, Mckenziee, Davis and even a couple of times Webster have been preferred)  For most of this season we have been bottom, only recently went on a very good run of form but still haven't kept many clean sheets.  Next Season Jack Ross will be looking to challenge at the top end of the table and to do that he'll have to bring in players that are better to challenge the first 11 that stay and replace anyone that goes.  Do you think Baird fits into that criteria or would it be better to go with the wage and try to get someone to improve the team?

Final question which I've now said a few times I think without any real answer.  Do you think Jack Baird as a 20 year old player has improved enough since breaking into first team couple seasons ago?  

4 hours ago, Frank McGarvey' wonky legs said:

If he had of scored a hat-trick on Tuesday that would still not have been acceptable to him.
I think that Fjelde's lack of game time even as a sub would indicate he won't be here next season. Todd I think will get another season as he has only just moved to full time football and has had a few cameos that indicates he may have a bit about him and be a decent squad player especially if Mallan or Magennis move on.

What utter rubbish, anyone that thinks I have a vendetta against Jack Baird or want to see him do poorly needs to have a serious think about how crazy that sounds.  I'd love to see him do well and improve.  Would be great for him to be a part of St Mirren for years to come as a valuable asset that's came through the academy but he has had concerning performances.  No one can deny that.  I think Baird himself would be the first person to say he could of done better on a number of occasions this season. 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Of course it was, the team won 4-1 and every player played his part in it.  Is that performance alone good enough if it was up to me to be offering the contracts this summer? No, he's had more off games than good ones in my opinion.  More often looked unassured at long balls.  Also lacks passing, composure and vision which are very important for a center back. 

So let me ask you some questions.  If Gordon and Davis were both fit right now and had been for the whole time they'd been here, where would Baird be in the selection order? IMO he'd be fourth choice behind Davis and McKenzie with Gordon being preferred over him (based on evidence when the different players have been fit Gordon, Mckenziee, Davis and even a couple of times Webster have been preferred)  For most of this season we have been bottom, only recently went on a very good run of form but still haven't kept many clean sheets.  Next Season Jack Ross will be looking to challenge at the top end of the table and to do that he'll have to bring in players that are better to challenge the first 11 that stay and replace anyone that goes.  Do you think Baird fits into that criteria or would it be better to go with the wage and try to get someone to improve the team?

Final question which I've now said a few times I think without any real answer.  Do you think Jack Baird as a 20 year old player has improved enough since breaking into first team couple seasons ago?  

Yes, definately

He has and will start games ahead of Ben Gordon.

Jack Baird looked better in the premier league games he played in when he was 18 and last season than he has this season.  That's clear as day.  Whenever Gordon has been match fit he's played ahead of him.  Not sure if we're talking about the same player here now. :unsure:

Jack Baird looked better in the premier league games he played in when he was 18 and last season than he has this season.  That's clear as day.  Whenever Gordon has been match fit he's played ahead of him.  Not sure if we're talking about the same player here now. :unsure:

He (Gordon) was farmed out on loan to Alloa. Now I know that was done by Alex Rae so I'm not using that as the basis for it being a sensible decision but I'm not sure that's him really being picked ahead of Baird.

1 minute ago, Hambud said:

He (Gordon) was farmed out on loan to Alloa. Now I know that was done by Alex Rae so I'm not using that as the basis for it being a sensible decision but I'm not sure that's him really being picked ahead of Baird.

That was the single worst decision in Alex Rae's nightmare start of the 2016/17 campaign.  At the time everyone was baffled because of... Yep how poor a partnership Webster and Baird were along with McKenzie's injury situation.