St Mirren Contract thread

12 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Try and keep this exact squad for next season. Bar Clarkson and Webster. All loans extended and tie these players up on longer deals. Get Loy, Stelios, Davis and Smith on the books if possible.

As backup id try and get the boy Quitongo from Morton and/or Dobbie from QoS as i think Sutton will need rested now and then.

Thats a promotion side.

Quitongo is a non starter . We couldn't afford him , and he'll probably leave them for higher level .

You think we need 5 players even if we kept the current, best form in the league, squad? :blink:

Slightly clumsily worded. In the real world Langfield, Webster and Clarkson wouldn't kick a ball next season and will be off all of whom are high earners. So goalkeeper and centre back to come in are obvious. If Smith were to stay he doesn't score enough goals for a striker and would be better getting familiar with playing wide IMO. So two strikers in preferably with height and/or pace. And another wide player with pace as cover because I am greedy.

10 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Try and keep this exact squad for next season. Bar Clarkson and Webster. All loans extended and tie these players up on longer deals. Get Loy, Stelios, Davis and Smith on the books if possible.

As backup id try and get the boy Quitongo from Morton and/or Dobbie from QoS as i think Sutton will need rested now and then.

Thats a promotion side.

Dobbie would get you the goals and he has all the experience in the world, he is however another year older  he would probably get slaughtered for his workrate etc. I would take him over Sutton though.

18 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Thats a promotion side.

In terms of the squad, I'd certainly be happy if we came in for Davis, Smith and Loy permanently. 

Webster, Clarkson, Langfield, Hutton going will free up a fair chunk of the wage bill and although that I agree we should keep the nucleus of this squad, there are guys out there who can and will improve us even further. I trust Jack fully to improve this squad over the summer if we do stay up. 

Dobbie certainly doesn't strike me as a Jack Ross style of player, think Ross likes his front men a bit younger and pacier, think more along the lines of a Nathan Austin type player. James Keatings would fit this bill for me. Quitongo, as mentioned before is a no go area. Morton will pull in six figures for him if he goes in the summer. 

8 hours ago, munoz said:

Contracted to Morton till June 18 . Injured the now .

Signed a new contract with them earlier in the season - contracted till June 2018.

As an aside it's being alleged on the unofficial Morton board that we're paying mega-bonuses if we avoid relegation........

We were on for loy. St mirren offered him 10k bonus if they avoided relegation and we didn't want to match it. Salary offered to Dundee was the same but bonus wasn't matched           

Seen similar rumour on P&B though someone had said we paid him an extra £10k to make the loan go through.

A lot of people rightly pointed out that was against the loan rules and than we would pay Dundee not him. though I'm not sure if a bonus is a way to get round that.

It's strange that it's only morton fans that keep hearing this rumour and bringing it up.

They don't think that maybe Rory remembers Jack from his earlier and brief stint at Saints and thought yeah he's a good guy I'll try and help him out?.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

Seen similar rumour on P&B though someone had said we paid him an extra £10k to make the loan go through.

A lot of people rightly pointed out that was against the loan rules and than we would pay Dundee not him. though I'm not sure if a bonus is a way to get round that.

It's strange that it's only morton fans that keep hearing this rumour and bringing it up.

They don't think that maybe Rory remembers Jack from his earlier and brief stint at Saints and thought yeah he's a good guy I'll try and help him out?.

Amazing what the green eyed monster does to throw up unfounded shite.

They thought they'd easily attract Loy over us. They didn't.

They thought Shankland would be the answer. It wasn't.

They thought they were going to get second place. To be continued....................

Has he been out injured , not heard anything about him for a while?

He recently signed a new one year contract with them. Only reason was because of his injury but hasn't played in about 5 months. We couldn't afford transfer fee, Morton wouldn't sell to us anyway and no guarantee he'll be same player next season with the injury. So no point even discussing him.

We do need to strengthen but will be worth seeing who stays. Wanting players to stay and then actually staying are two different things, guess time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Think Jack Baird has proven in the last few games just how potentially good he is. Not a single foot has he put wrong. 

He is more than worthy of a new deal and has bags of promise. 

Indeed, thought he was excellent on Saturday!

He's young and will make mistakes but hopefully will learn from them, worth a new deal for me......He does need experience beside him and hopefully Gary Mck decides to stay and we can replace Webster with a decent CB to give us competition in there.

I hope we can keep this team together. I'll admit ignorance as to the status of some of the new 10 (i.e. short term perm vs loan) - but I'd want the following players from the January intake kept on some form of extended permanent contract:

Smith \ Stelios \ Davis \ Eckersley \  O'Brien \  Loy \ Todd - the first 5 are essentials but I've been swayed on the latter two as well

If Capt. McGinn is already signed up for a year - I think we should offer to get him signed up for two.

Of the remaining two (Fjelde and Storie) - I'll trust to Jack's judgment.

In terms of the pre-resurrection squad the following players are also going to be essential in the campaign ahead and should be retained by any means possible

Mallan \ Morgan \ Mackenzie \ Macgennis \ Baird.

We could do worse than hold onto Gordon \ Quinn \ Sutton - although these guys may have to accept squad positions (special mention to big Sutton for previous service)

Add a keeper to challenge O'Brien - and an out and out striker for the 20 a season goal haul - and this squad has 'championship winning' written all over it.

In the immortal words of B.A. Robertson on the B-side of "We Have a Dream" - "Wrap up... Wrap up the cup... Wrap up the cup, I'm gonna take it away!"

Edited by southsidebud

15 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I hope we can keep this team together. I'll admit ignorance as to the status of some of the new 10 (i.e. short term perm vs loan) - but I'd want the following players from the January intake kept on some form of extended permanent contract:

Smith \ Stelios \ Davis \ Eckersley \  O'Brien \  Loy \ Todd - the first 5 are essentials but I've been swayed on the latter two as well

If Capt. McGinn is already signed up for a year - I think we should offer to get him signed up for two.

In terms of the pre-resurrection squad the following players are also going to be essential in the campaign ahead and should be retained by any means possible

We could do worse than hold onto Gordon \ Quinn \ Sutton - although these guys may have to accept squad positions (special mention to big Sutton for previous service)

Add a keeper to challenge O'Brien - and an out and out striker for the 20 a season goal haul - and this squad has 'championship winning' written all over it.

In the immortal words of B.A. Robertson on the B-side of "We Have a Dream" - "Wrap up... Wrap up the cup... Wrap up the cup, I'm gonna take it away!"

Don't ya just love opinions?  From your essentials list I'd say only Stelios and Loy fit that tag.  Smith has a lot of heart but he's a bit too slow for that position, Davis would be a great addition but I doubt we can afford him, likewise Eckersley (we need Stelios and Irvine so keeping Adam might be considered a luxury), Billy has been a great shot stopper but just doesn't inspire confidence, Todd might be alright but his lack of appearances suggests Jack doesn't have him in the essential category. 

26 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

Fair assessment. I think Mackenzie is also a big big player for us who i hope will be one of the first to re-sign. It would be incredible to extend Morgans and Mallans deals to secure any large future fee, though the latter i feel will get his move in the summer. 

Jack Baird has answered a lot of critics with his performances. He has came in to take over the ever impressive Harry Davis and barely put a foot wrong. 

Big Sutton has a further year left so I imagine he will still be with us. 

Loys future all depends on whether he has a future at Dundee or if they are willing to tear up the remaining year of his contract.

I hope we would lead the chase on Smith, who i know is out of contract at Aberdeen. Looks like he is enjoying his football here.

Stelios i think is the clubs option of a further year, something i find to being an absolute no brainer to let him continue his career here next season. 

O'Brien I would hope we not be too difficult to deal with wages wise. He clearly wants to stay.

We haven't seen enough of Storie or Fjelde, though although Storie  looks decent enough, he is used sparingly due to our change of style of play and McGinns arrival. 

Pretty much unheard of for a manager to bring in ten new signings in the January window and for not one of them to be a dud (although to be fair I've seen virtually nothing of the Scandinavian lad). That's an astonishing strike rate and based on that alone, I'd be happy to just wait and trust JR to bring in whoever he needs.

Worst case scenario has Mallan and Morgan getting moves to Premiership/some diddy English team and McGinn moving on as well. I remember when Jack brought Stevie McGinn in he was pretty clear that McGinn was too good for this level and we were lucky to have him.

I posted this in the speculation thread assuming that's where speculation took place but I'll repost it here ....

Jacks' 10:

McGinn has 1 year left.

Smith - his contract is up so hope we can persuade him to stay.

O'Brien allegedly wants to stay and his contract is up so here's hoping.

Would absolutely love Davis back and his contract is up but will probably get better offers down South.

Eck's contract is up - hopefully he signs a new one.

Stelios - has a one year option which I hope is exorcised..

Loy has a year left at Dundee and I can see the new manager wanting to assess him - probably going.

Storrie is a decent ballwinner I think but not so good once he has the ball. However he is young and maybe Jack can get something out of him but I do not know if his contract is up with the sheep. Not sure if he fits Jack's style. Todd is possibly a better option.

Fjelde - probably going as I think he is behind the others.

Pre Jack:

MacKenzie - superb and contract is up. Sure his performances have not gone unnoticed. Hope he stays.

Irvine has another 1 year option which I hope he takes up.

Baird's contract is up but he has been immense recently - sign him up.

I would let Webster and Gordon go - especially is we sign Davis. If not possibly keep Gordon.

I would let Clarkson go.

Hutton still has one year left but we have to punt him somehow.

Heard Langfield is a good coach so maybe keep him for that but not as a keeper.

Quinn - was very good in a poor team before his injury - would probably keep if totally fit.

McLear - still has 1 year on his contract but do not think he will make it with us.

And we still have Orsi, Stewart and Flanagan out on loan to assess.

Who do we need?

Depends on who of the above is offered contracts and signs. Assuming we can sign up the players who are out of contract the main area we are very short in is strikers. ***WARNING - CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT*** - Sutton is now a bit part player in my opinion. 7 League goals all season (35 appearances) and only 3 of these goals being significant in obtaining points. (Loy had 5 in 11 appearances). When everyone is fit Jack won't start him but we need at least two decent strikers. Sutton still has 1 year left so he gives us an option if required but we need at least two who can be automatic picks. Keatings of Hibs is out of contract - I would go for him as one of them.

Anyway, the above is just my thoughts but whatever Jack decides will be what counts and he has my trust completely.

The new signings that have played regular have been amazing, could of easily went the other way. Look at Hearts who did similar. 

Agree with most of what's been said.  Of the out of contract players the only ones I would be really eager to tie down would be; Mackenzie and Eckersley.  The rest I'm not too concerned with (Just learned recently that Irvine has another year option so delighted about that he's been a different player at right back) 

The rest I'm happy to go with Jack Ross and his judgement, can't fault his eye for talent. Would also love to see O'Brien sign permanently but need an experienced goalkeeper to challenge and develop him. Cammy Smith, Rory Loy, Harry Davis.  I think there will be a lot of difficulty getting deals for them but time will tell. 

A lot of work to be done as well in youth players.  Nathan Flanagan getting a new deal should be pretty high on the priority list.