St Mirren Contract thread

On 11/30/2017 at 11:35 PM, BuddieinEK said:

You really are having a mare here, but I have to say, it has given me the best laugh I have had in ages!

A few is not multiple despite multiple being more than one which, co-incidentally, so is "a few"! Really?

When your argument stoops to that level it really is time to seek help!

The only person bringing  Jack Baird back up is me? Really?

All I have done is reply factually to each of your funny posts in which YOU brought up your favourite obsession!

"Lord Jack Baird"? Aye, very good. When all is lost, throw in a wee bit of sarcasm. Why not, you have tried everything else!

Show me one single post where anyone has said that he did not have any poor games last season! Go on. Just one!

Rest assured I would not put ANYTHING in your mouth!

If this is the best laugh you've had in ages your life must be one non-stop roller-coaster

You're playing word games, doesn't mean anything. My comment was perfectly clear, he has had a few poor games, fact. But you spin it anyway you like buddie. 

There is no argument here, everything I've said has been opinion on his performances on occasions this season and last. I don't need to justify what I think is a good/ poor performance to anyone. 

Yes really, the post is about out of contract players, not specifically Baird.

How is it factual to suggest an improvement in form this year means people frustrated in his performance last season are now wrong? 

It genuinely seems like Baird can do no wrong in your eyes. You got an excuse lined up for his poor defending on Saturday for the Brechin goal aye? 

Okay so are you basically agreeing with me that he had a number of poor games last season so saying that I'm now somehow wrong is not only ridiculous, it's absolutely stupid?  

Filth! 

On 11/30/2017 at 9:54 PM, Hambud said:

Go back and read a few of your posts.

You started the thread, you said he shouldn't be given a new contract. This was picked up on as others felt he should be kept. You felt he wasn't good enough to be our 3rd or 4th CH as cover other disagreed.

It went on all summer and fair play to you, you stuck to your guns. When he got his new contract you said you hoped to be proven wrong.

He is our most played CH this season, a season that we are top of the league so far.

4 months into the same season he is on a shortlist THAT YOU POSTED of players we should try to resign!!

Perfect time to admit you were wrong, given your posts in this very thread are conflicting with each other but you choose to say you weren't wrong based on his bad performances last season and this.

I have one question given he has been our most reliable CH this season do you still think you were right when you said he should have been released?

As I said recently on this thread, I'm still not sold on Baird and wouldn't be offering him a new contract yet (much like it appears JR hasn't). I didn't pick him as one of the players to be kept, read the post again. I listed out of contract players. I said McGinn and Reilly are the priority.

He's played most games because of injury, if our CBs were fit all season I don't think he'd of played nearly as much (or at all in the league). The only way he's our most reliable CB is because he's not been injured and Buchanan for the most part has been a let down. 

I would still have released him last season yes. As for right now, like I say I'm not sold but hope to be proven wrong over the next few months. Doubtful TBH is Mac and Davis stay fit because i don't see him playing. 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

If this is the best laugh you've had in ages your life must be one non-stop roller-coaster

You're playing word games, doesn't mean anything. My comment was perfectly clear, he has had a few poor games, fact. But you spin it anyway you like buddie. 

There is no argument here, everything I've said has been opinion on his performances on occasions this season and last. I don't need to justify what I think is a good/ poor performance to anyone. 

Yes really, the post is about out of contract players, not specifically Baird.

How is it factual to suggest an improvement in form this year means people frustrated in his performance last season are now wrong? 

It genuinely seems like Baird can do no wrong in your eyes. You got an excuse lined up for his poor defending on Saturday for the Brechin goal aye? 

Okay so are you basically agreeing with me that he had a number of poor games last season so saying that I'm now somehow wrong is not only ridiculous, it's absolutely stupid?  

Filth! 

What a very strange post indeed!

Two weeks to come up with THAT? Really?

Strange indeed.

:1eye

I think JB is the most improved player this season. What a lot of fans forget is he's still a young lad. Cos he's been in the first team a few season it's easy to forget how young he is. He still makes mistakes but show me a player who doesn't. I think he deserves a one year exstention to his contract.

If we were to let Jack Baird go he would be snapped up pronto. Young up and coming Centre Half who has been really good in this fine season Saints are having.

As Sps says above, easy to forget how young he is despite being around the First team a wee while now.

Contract Extension ??  No brainer for me. New 2 year deal more like it.

Agree on Baird.

I think he is already a good centre half and is improving all the time.  He never shirks a challenge, and whilst he still has a lot to learn, there is plenty of time for that, and with his attitude, I reckon he'll do very, very well.

Easily deserves a contract extension.

I think the majority can see Jack's quality, which is improving all the time. Playing and training beside players like McKenzie, Davis and Eckersley will only help him develop further.

Why are some so keen and quick to write young players off? And then to continue with the same spiel rather than admit they might have been hasty in their appraisal?

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

I think the majority can see Jack's quality, which is improving all the time. Playing and training beside players like McKenzie, Davis and Eckersley will only help him develop further.

Why are some so keen and quick to write young players off? And then to continue with the same spiel rather than admit they might have been hasty in their appraisal?

I think it's more when someone has a different opinion from certain posters on here, those posters go on and on and on shouting louder and longer to try and get the people to change their opinion. Some are sold on Baird some aren't for me that's fair enough. 

I agree he's improved this season, just not to the point where I'd be giving him a contract extension. No rush IMO, don't see anyone stumping up the comp we'd be due because of his age anytime soon. If a club did come in for him say between January - May 2018 and try get him on a pre-contract we'd be owed similar in comp to Morgan (not that his asking price would be the same) so there's little risk in tying him down. I'd much rather see how he does over rest of the season. Again, it's just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

Jack Baird is one of our best players. I’m not sure if Davis or McKenzie should partner him at centre back though.

It'll be good to have a bit of competition for the partner role.

We are very fortunate to have 4 very solid centre halves. I can't recall when we were last in that position.

Baird is a future Saints captain, assuming we can hold onto him. Contract extension is a must.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

It'll be good to have a bit of competition for the partner role.

We are very fortunate to have 4 very solid centre halves. I can't recall when we were last in that position.

Baird is a future Saints captain, assuming we can hold onto him. Contract extension is a must.

Baz would argue that point....................:rolleyes: again, and again and..................:wink:

33 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Baird did well today, fair play to him and well done. Many still still think he is a bomb scare and cant pass but no doubt gave his all.

Damned by faint praise.

I thought he was confident, solid, and (critically) looked for the ball. That is impressive for a centre half, and something I can't recall seeing from a young player since Scott Cuthbert.

He was our best player by a country mile today.

Edited by Drew

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Baz would argue that point....................:rolleyes: again, and again and..................:wink:

Aye, well he'd be wrong.

I can't get my head round the reluctantance on the part of some of our 'supporters' to acknowledge when a young player is doing well. It's very odd indeed.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, faraway saint said:

I don't argue it again and again and again, just because I haven't changed my opinion to conform with yours. That's allowed by the way :lol: You can keep going on, the only person that will change my opinion is Baird, same as any other St Mirren player. The way this has went is basically as below 

You 'Have you changed your mind on Baird yet?'

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

If you think that's me going on and on then more power to you :huh:

I thought our back four were very shaky on Saturday (especially in the second half) but that was likely because our midfield wasn't taking control of the game and allowing Dunfermline to constantly attack us. Fair play to them for holding strong for the most part but on another day Dunfermline would have taken two or three of those chances.

It was very pleasing to see them pushing up the park and holding a much higher line in the first half, hopefully we can make more use of that in the future. Baird had a decent game but as usual there was the odd bomb scare moments, for example in the first half when he needlessly poked the ball to a Dunfermline player in the box instead of clearing his lines and was beating for pace (easily) on a couple of occasions leaving us exposed.

In the spirit of not wanting to be the guy that just rips on Baird, I feel Davis struggled a bit and it wasn't the strongest game from L Smith who lost possesion too easily and too often.

Champion winning sides though do need to grind out games like that and we managed to do it, that's all that matters. 

7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I don't argue it again and again and again, just because I haven't changed my opinion to conform with yours. That's allowed by the way :lol: You can keep going on, the only person that will change my opinion is Baird, same as any other St Mirren player. The way this has went is basically as below 

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

Me 'No'

If you think that's me going on and on then more power to you :huh:

I thought our back four were very shaky on Saturday (especially in the second half) but that was likely because our midfield wasn't taking control of the game and allowing Dunfermline to constantly attack us. Fair play to them for holding strong for the most part but on another day Dunfermline would have taken two or three of those chances.

It was very pleasing to see them pushing up the park and holding a much higher line in the first half, hopefully we can make more use of that in the future. Baird had a decent game but as usual there was the odd bomb scare moments, for example in the first half when he needlessly poked the ball to a Dunfermline player in the box instead of clearing his lines and was beating for pace (easily) on a couple of occasions leaving us exposed.

In the spirit of not wanting to be the guy that just rips on Baird, I feel Davis struggled a bit and it wasn't the strongest game from L Smith who lost possesion too easily and too often.

Champion winning sides though do need to grind out games like that and we managed to do it, that's all that matters. 

:wacko: