St Mirren Contract thread

That was the single worst decision in Alex Rae's nightmare start of the 2016/17 campaign.  At the time everyone was baffled because of... Yep how poor a partnership Webster and Baird were along with McKenzie's injury situation.  

There is no denying Baird and Webster was a rubbish partnership, but was Mckenzie and Webster any good? Was Gordon and Webster any good?

Baird is a better player to have in the squad that Gordon that I'd why he has played so many more games than him.

5 minutes ago, Hambud said:

There is no denying Baird and Webster was a rubbish partnership, but was Mckenzie and Webster any good? Was Gordon and Webster any good?

Baird is a better player to have in the squad that Gordon that I'd why he has played so many more games than him.

My days people really don't like it on here when you don't agree with them about something :P 

McKenzie and Gordon did well together (and if he was match fit I'm very sure he'd be playing over Baird), McKenzie and Davis very solid together.  No denying Webster has been awful when he's played this season but I'm hearing promising youngster in Baird.  I haven't seen it to be honest.  It's a shame I'd love for him to do well but for a young player that's now played 50+ first team games I would expect more improvement.  I remember the games he played in premier league, looked a decent prospect and was delighted when he was tied down, I don't think he's improved much since then, 

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

My days people really don't like it on here when you don't agree with them about something :P 

McKenzie and Gordon did well together (and if he was match fit I'm very sure he'd be playing over Baird), McKenzie and Davis very solid together.  No denying Webster has been awful when he's played this season but I'm hearing promising youngster in Baird.  I haven't seen it to be honest.  It's a shame I'd love for him to do well but for a young player that's now played 50+ first team games I would expect more improvement.  I remember the games he played in premier league, looked a decent prospect and was delighted when he was tied down, I don't think he's improved much since then, 

No one is surprised, you cant see a decent player if they bit on the arse. 

Edited by insaintee

51 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Jack Baird looked better in the premier league games he played in when he was 18 and last season than he has this season.  That's clear as day.  Whenever Gordon has been match fit he's played ahead of him.  Not sure if we're talking about the same player here now. :unsure:

Jack's first games were in partnership with Kelly, The two of them looked as if they could be a top centre half pairing. Jack was the "hairy Arsed," defender we'd been crying out for. He was quick, strong, brave and willing to put his body on the line. The sort of defender we hadn't had since maybe Andy Millan or even longer. Kelly was more cultured and the two had the advantage of having played in the U20s and knew each other's game. 

Baird was a bit raw, and need to know when to be "less robust," Technically he is and was a bit limited. 

Playing alongside Webster has been difficult. Webster constantly drops deep meaning it's almost impossible to keep a line. additionally our full back have at times left the centrehalfs exposed. 

However, he now looks stronger, smarter and more composed. He knows his limitations and plays to them. I can't think of a single centerhalf of his age in Scottish Football that I'd swap him for. He's looked superb in a number of games and has improved playing alongside McKenzie. 

He's only going to get better and better. 

Jack Baird

Played well under Teale.

Played poorly under Murray

Played poorly under Rae

Played well under Ross 

Could there be a pattern there? 

He's been a big part of our recent change in form and was one of the better performers (along with Morgan) during "the dark days" 

He's currently a big part of team that is in championship winning form,  To me that suggests that he could easily do a job for at team challenging for promotion. 

Edited by insaintee

17 minutes ago, insaintee said:

No one is surprised, you cant see a decent player if they bit on the arse. 

To be fair he'd need to have eyes in the back of his head to see a decent player bite him on the arse... although if it meant that the eyes on the front of his head weren't working that might explain why he can't see a decent player right in front of him.

55 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I think this thread (in relation to Jack Baird anyway) has ran it's course.  I'm not going to change my mind, based on his performances this season not good enough.  Only he'll change my mind in last four games. 

Do you not see that you have contradicted yourself here? Will you or will you not change your mind?

Do you not see that you have contradicted yourself here? Will you or will you not change your mind?

How have I contradicted myself? Right now I wouldn't offer him a contract based on his performances this season but he'll likely play last four games, so based on that my opinion could change. If it couldn't change that would just be stubbornness.

I think that's a very clear stance, sorry if I've confused you...

32 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

How have I contradicted myself? Right now I wouldn't offer him a contract based on his performances this season but he'll likely play last four games, so based on that my opinion could change. If it couldn't change that would just be stubbornness.

I think that's a very clear stance, sorry if I've confused you...

If you can't see how you contradicted  yourself I suggest that it it is you who are confused! :whistle

Edited by smcc

Hmmm.
the previous form wasn't good enough to change his mind but he is open to persuasion by a supreme effort for the final four.

Seems reasonable.  Seems logical enough...

I hope Jack has been paying attention.  [emoji4]

Based so far on today he hasn't [emoji23] almost gifted them a goal in first 30 seconds.

My days people really don't like it on here when you don't agree with them about something [emoji14] 

I really don't care that you disagree with me. But I'm allowed to comment on things I don't agree with.

3 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Think regardless of who we have of the current squad next season there are some definite minimum requirements to bring in.  A goalkeeper who commands his area, a centre back, a pacy wide midfielder and two forwards. 

You think we need 5 players even if we kept the current, best form in the league, squad? :blink:

Well , the oracle has spoken. To be offered a new contract a player simply has to have four good games in a row.
Got it :rolleyes:

People really love a word game as well don't they. It's down to three games now and they really would have to be something special. Not just him but I thought defensively we were poor today. Both goals avoidable.

You think we need 5 players even if we kept the current, best form in the league, squad? :blink:

Yes I would agree. Whole point is to bring in better players that will challenge the team we have and create competition. We need to be looking to improve year on year.

Billy wasn't great yesterday unfortunately but he's young and HAS shown a lot of potential. Hopefully the command of his area is something heavily worked on over the summer.

Try and keep this exact squad for next season. Bar Clarkson and Webster. All loans extended and tie these players up on longer deals. Get Loy, Stelios, Davis and Smith on the books if possible.

As backup id try and get the boy Quitongo from Morton and/or Dobbie from QoS as i think Sutton will need rested now and then.

Thats a promotion side.