Falkirk v St Mirren Championship 15/4/17

shull

Another great performance today even if a few of the players didn't quite hit the standard they've set themselves in recent weeks. Thought Magennis was the pick of the bunch and has really developed into a decent right sided midfielder.

Need to see their goals again but the first one looked as though we tried to let it run out which is criminal. I was delighted to see their player float some aimless shite into the box and couldn't believe it ended up in the net.

Second looked a bit suspect too but we're a long way away so maybe the TV pictures will show something different? If not, it's a routine ball into the box and should have been humped clear.

Onto Tannadice next week and I think a win there is well within our reach. Maybe a start for Morgan?

3 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Another great performance today even if a few of the players didn't quite hit the standard they've set themselves in recent weeks. Thought Magennis was the pick of the bunch and has really developed into a decent right sided midfielder.

Need to see their goals again but the first one looked as though we tried to let it run out which is criminal. I was delighted to see their player float some aimless shite into the box and couldn't believe it ended up in the net.

Second looked a bit suspect too but we're a long way away so maybe the TV pictures will show something different? If not, it's a routine ball into the box and should have been humped clear.

Onto Tannadice next week and I think a win there is well within our reach. Maybe a start for Morgan?

That's exactly what happened. Baird tried to usher it over the line and their guy nipped in round him right on the line to hook it back for a tap in for Miller. Those blaming anyone but Baird are 100% wrong. Big mistake ! That said it was a solid performance against a team who play basic ball over the top, get them turning type football pretty effectively.

Hopefully Dundee United can round the day off with a win (currently 0-0)

A point today was a good result - its a testimony to how well we are playing that we are disappointed with it.

Raith were playing an off form Morton at home and we were playing the best form team apart from ourselves at their ground. We also gubbed Morton 4-1 at their place - so school boy logic dictates that our results are still better than Raith's and them getting above us merely a temporary blip.

Very confident of survival and about to open a nice chilled bottle of Caesar Augustus as I look back on a good day for the Saints and enjoy the end of the Ayr game.

COYA* - but only till next week :)

(*Arabs)

Edited by southsidebud

Haven't read the thread, so my view on returning home is that it was a good game, a spirited team effort, and a great away support. The minutes following the McGinn goal were the best I've experienced in a St Mirren support since the 2013 League Cup final. We fell asleep for their first goal, and it appeared O'Brien could/should have dealt with the ball that lead to their second? McGinn certainly made angry 'come out and deal with it' gestures towards O'Brien.

No matter - very enjoyable day at the football and four points from back-to-back away games at Cappielow and Grangemouth is very acceptable. I'd have taken that return before a ball was kicked at Cappielow had someone guaranteed it in advance.

Onwards and upwards.

3 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Good point for both teams when you consider we are the form teams in the league , Utd next week is probably the game we need points from  as would hope we can beat Raith at home and Hibbees will be in party mode when we play them.

I'm fervently hoping Hibs reach the cup final. With the league sewn up, if they have a big final against one of the three Old Firm teams to look forward to.... come on the Hibs. Back-to-back Scottish Cup winners. :D

Just wanted to add - the drummer and the guys with the flags, and those around them... great stuff. Never, ever thought I'd see the day when I gave plaudits to a drummer at a fitba' match, but those guys are adding to, not detracting from, the 'matchday experience'.

A fantastic point at a very difficult ground.

Results elsewhere must not be allowed to overshadow that.

Thats 4 points out of a possible 6 from our first two games from hell.

Anyone who tries to put a damper on that is a bellend TBH.

Only 3 more games to go and I still expect is to get another five points at least.

42 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just wanted to add - the drummer and the guys with the flags, and those around them... great stuff. Never, ever thought I'd see the day when I gave plaudits to a drummer at a fitba' match, but those guys are adding to, not detracting from, the 'matchday experience'.

We were (inadvertently) some of the guys around the drummer. Aye, great atmosphere, but I might need some form of critical debrief counselling so I won't be hearing it in my sleep.

Agree with your summary of the game, and I was also saying that I would have happily taken 4 points from the matches against Morton and the Bairns if you'd asked me beforehand.

Raith result is a pest, but Ayr haven't gained anything on us and Dumbarton are right back in the mix, so, all in all, not a bad day all told.

tmp_6826-20170415_1454581942423614.jpg

As others have noted the 2 goals conceded today were both soft from our point of view although the second was from a farcical free kick where the Falkirk player fell over trying to hold off his opponent who had moved out of his reach.

I'd like to see the goalie come off his line more whether to deal with free kicks, corners or pass backs - though in saying that he was out sharpish to slide in on Austin and knock the ball away.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and on to next week. Ayr at Cappielow and Dumbarton at Dumfries while Raith are at Easter Road in the midweek after Hibs' cup-semi. Hopefully we can put pressure on Raith with a positive result on Tayside meaning they must take something from Leith - if they have to attack Hibs then I'd be confident of a home win but if they can sit back with 10 on the edge of their box they might well take a point or worse.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

A fantastic point at a very difficult ground.

Results elsewhere must not be allowed to overshadow that.

Thats 4 points out of a possible 6 from our first two games from hell.

Anyone who tries to put a damper on that is a bellend TBH.

Only 3 more games to go and I still expect is to get another five points at least.

Actually agree with this.

Despite the fact that I am indeed a bellend.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

We were (inadvertently) some of the guys around the drummer. Aye, great atmosphere, but I might need some form of critical debrief counselling so I won't be hearing it in my sleep.

Agree with your summary of the game, and I was also saying that I would have happily taken 4 points from the matches against Morton and the Bairns if you'd asked me beforehand.

Raith result is a pest, but Ayr haven't gained anything on us and Dumbarton are right back in the mix, so, all in all, not a bad day all told.

tmp_6826-20170415_1454581942423614.jpg

However....

You couldn't see the point of us signing McGinn!... :lol::P

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

FT 2-2

Probably about right in the end. Although would like to see that late Falkirk chopped off goal again, didn't seem to be much wrong with it in real time.

Our keeper needs to learn how to deal with set pieces, that's both goals today I thought he could have done better with. McGinns goal at the other end was sumptuous.

Raiths win mean this isn't as good a point as it would have otherwise been. Although thankfully Dumbartons loss has kept us off 9th. Tannadice next week, need to get something there I think.

What did you think of Falkirk's first goal. Was the cross over the line ? I think it was. However that's 9 games in the league without defeat ( I think ) can I ask how you rate Jack Ross ? 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

What did you think of Falkirk's first goal. Was the cross over the line ? I think it was. However that's 9 games in the league without defeat ( I think ) can I ask how you rate Jack Ross ? 

Right in front of us not over the line, right on it. A poor piece of defensive decision making by Baird.

First Falkirk goal was a beautifully worked free kick which we didn't defend well enough.

Second one came from a free kick that should never have been given.

Them's the breaks... We played well. Falkirk did enough to merit a draw.

I'm delighted the players were gutted at the end. That spoke volumes.