Falkirk v St Mirren Championship 15/4/17

shull

Maybe so but Jack Ross must go!

He's probably planning a takeover in his spare time. I mean, just what is in it for him? What does he get out of being so good for us? Questions need to be asked.

Back to reality though and overall yesterday was a good match. Only real concern was Falkirk's first, where Billy should really have been down and covering the ball across goal. The ball's never coming back at height, percentage cover is to deal with exactly what happened.

On 01/26/2017 at 8:07 AM, Drew said:

Happy with this signing. Experience and composure in midfield is critically important.

Ideally, I'd now like to see another forward and a right back coming in. Depending on Gordon's fitness, perhaps a centre half, though it seems to be getting a bit surreal, as that would pretty much be an entire team signed this window. Though in truth, who would argue with that being the requirement.

Looking forward to tomorrow. It'll be intriguing at the very least!

On 01/27/2017 at 5:08 PM, Drew said:

This has been a pretty astonishing window, and it isn't closed yet.

I'm very happy with the signing of McGinn. Welcome back to the best club in the world, Stephen.

14 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

However....

You couldn't see the point of us signing McGinn!... :lol::P

Oh well thats 3 or 4 minutes of my life I won't get back, but I somehow felt the need to set the record straight in case anyone is still daft enough to take Andy at face value.

Fair enough, skip', you did briefly reel me in that time:booty:lol:

Edited by Drew

12 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Nice to meet Frank and Drew today ,ignore Buddiein EK's comment about me twittering ,I thought I was very subdued considering

:D

It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sir:)

Started great and finished OK, the long bit in the middle wasn't great. McGinn's goal was an absolute peach and worthy of winning any game. 
Still not convinced by O'Brien: think he could/should have done much better with both of their goals. 

Agree on Billy. Needs to command his as better. As for the game, started very well, could have been 2 or 3 up, lost a bad goal and lost the momentum. Same happened in the second half.

I thought we panicked too often in possession, lumping it long, even when ahead. Should have tried to letting possession and take the sting out of the game imo.

All in all a good point, if still disappointed it wasn't 3.

He's probably planning a takeover in his spare time. I mean, just what is in it for him? What does he get out of being so good for us? Questions need to be asked.

Back to reality though and overall yesterday was a good match. Only real concern was Falkirk's first, where Billy should really have been down and covering the ball across goal. The ball's never coming back at height, percentage cover is to deal with exactly what happened.

Agree on the first goal. Not happy with Billy at it, but he's a young keeper and you take the good with the bad.

Also thought Falkirk spotted his uncertainty with balls into the box hence their lobbing balls in at every opportunity.

Need to be more composed in possession at times. Put ourselves under pressure too often in the second half.

A tale from Falkirk

The first thing I noticed when I stepped off the train was the buses. One after the other blue and white buses streamed passed as I tried to cross the road which separated me from Behind The Wall, the pub where the bus left for Falkirk stadium. I eventually walked to the underpass to reach the other side and the deviation enticed me into another couple of hostelries before I reached BTW. No tickets left for the bus. Feck it, another few Buds were in the same position and we commandeered a couple of taxi’s to the Stadium.

Magennis made some sublime runs down the wing. McGinn scored a belter and totally connected with the saints’ fans in his after-match celebration. The free kick that led to their second equaliser IMO was never a foul and we left with a point.

The bus stops outside the ground were crowded but there wasn’t a bus in sight. I decided to walk. Half way back an old wrinkled man in a flat cap was standing at a bus stop. “Son” He beckoned me and started asking me about the Number 42. Feck I haven’t been called “Son” in a while and I had no idea about the Falkirk bus routes, I didn’t want to leave an old guy in the lurch so I looked about for a time table with details of the number 42 and tried to explain I knew feck all about the buses when he grabbed my scarf with his long bony fingers and said “Your team was playing at Falkirk and the number 42 was running down the wing. What’s the young boys name? He impressed me.” I told him and he went on about how he had been going to Falkirk for over 65 years and he had seen many a player but that our boy was a prospect.

“Magennis, I’ll keep an eye on his progress” he muttered as he let go of my scarf and disappeared back into the shelter. I had time for a quick pint in Sportsters before getting the train.  

I wonder who else is keeping an eye on his progress because it’s becoming apparent to everyone and not just us that the boy is indeed a prospect.

:withstupid

Well done Kyle. Good Game. COYS

A tale from Falkirk
The first thing I noticed when I stepped off the train was the buses. One after the other blue and white buses streamed passed as I tried to cross the road which separated me from Behind The Wall, the pub where the bus left for Falkirk stadium. I eventually walked to the underpass to reach the other side and the deviation enticed me into another couple of hostelries before I reached BTW. No tickets left for the bus. Feck it, another few Buds were in the same position and we commandeered a couple of taxi’s to the Stadium.
Magennis made some sublime runs down the wing. McGinn scored a belter and totally connected with the saints’ fans in his after-match celebration. The free kick that led to their second equaliser IMO was never a foul and we left with a point.
The bus stops outside the ground were crowded but there wasn’t a bus in sight. I decided to walk. Half way back an old wrinkled man in a flat cap was standing at a bus stop. “Son” He beckoned me and started asking me about the Number 42. Feck I haven’t been called “Son” in a while and I had no idea about the Falkirk bus routes, I didn’t want to leave an old guy in the lurch so I looked about for a time table with details of the number 42 and tried to explain I knew feck all about the buses when he grabbed my scarf with his long bony fingers and said “Your team was playing at Falkirk and the number 42 was running down the wing. What’s the young boys name? He impressed me.” I told him and he went on about how he had been going to Falkirk for over 65 years and he had seen many a player but that our boy was a prospect.
“Magennis, I’ll keep an eye on his progress” he muttered as he let go of my scarf and disappeared back into the shelter. I had time for a quick pint in Sportsters before getting the train.  
I wonder who else is keeping an eye on his progress because it’s becoming apparent to everyone and not just us that the boy is indeed a prospect.

At firsr he didn't appear to be as "hot a prospect" as the other kyle (mccallister) when they broke into the team together. The other kyle stood out probably because of his pace but young McGennis is growing as a player and is exciting to watch, he's using tricks to get by folk and has managed to grab a couple of goals recently. He also seems very disciplined with a great work rate.

Not sure if its a young Paul Lambert or a young Ryan Giggs (ok maybe a bit too far) that he reminds me of seeing as he has similar attributes to both of them.

Anyway you could turn part of your story into a Kyle McGennis song, but I'll leave that to you [emoji6]

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Haven't read the thread, so my view on returning home is that it was a good game, a spirited team effort, and a great away support. The minutes following the McGinn goal were the best I've experienced in a St Mirren support since the 2013 League Cup final. We fell asleep for their first goal, and it appeared O'Brien could/should have dealt with the ball that lead to their second? McGinn certainly made angry 'come out and deal with it' gestures towards O'Brien.

No matter - very enjoyable day at the football and four points from back-to-back away games at Cappielow and Grangemouth is very acceptable. I'd have taken that return before a ball was kicked at Cappielow had someone guaranteed it in advance.

Onwards and upwards.

Have to say that I've never been overly impressed with O'Brien. He sticks like glue to his line and he constantly spills the ball. A good bit of his decision making is suspect also.

He got away with one just in virtually Falkirk's first attack yesterday where instead of catching the ball at highest point he decided to catch it in his arms and Falkirk player nearly nipped in.

First goal again static on the line, not expecting him to catch the cross but expecting him to anticipate ball back across goal and to close down the shot on goal. second goal no presence at all, thinks about coming and then changes his mind and weak with the shot.

He's too small also. Never in a million years a Man City goalkeeper and for me borderline if he'd get a game at League Two level in England. Can't see him achieving much over next few years.

Also get fed up with the "He's a young player" comments.

We deperately need a solid, strong keeper next season.

Edited by lenziebud

24 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

A tale from Falkirk

Great wee story.

Magennis has the potential to play at the very highest level. An outstanding talent. Poise, composure, pace, and grit. Skill by the spade load too.

18 years of age?

Bonkers:blink:

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Great wee story.

Magennis has the potential to play at the very highest level. An outstanding talent. Poise, composure, pace, and grit. Skill by the spade load too.

18 years of age?

Bonkers:blink:

Agree and well done to Jack Ross for having the vision and bravery to give Morgan, McAllister and Magennis their chance given where we were at the time

Edited by lenziebud

Have to say that I've never been overly impressed with O'Brien. He sticks like glue to his line and he constantly spills the ball. A good bit of his decision making is suspect also.
He got away with one just in virtually Falkirk's first attack yesterday where instead of catching the ball at highest point he decided to catch it in his arms and Falkirk player nearly nipped in.
First goal again static on the line and second goal no presence at all when defence is crying out for their keeper.
He's too small also. Never in a million years a Man City goalkeeper and for me borderline if he'd get a game at League Two level in England. Can't see him achieving much over next few years.
Also get fed up with the "He's a young player" comments.
We deperately need a solid, strong keeper next season.

Too small?
Seriously?
You honestly think that is a justifiable criticism?
Too small?

3 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Aye... That's why Andy Goram was a dud too then?

So you think that O'Brien is a commanding keeper then ?. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. For me he is non existant with balls into the box, he constantly spills the ball and his decision making can be overall quite poor. As I say I don't rate him and would definitely be looking for another keeper next season.

Goram was an exception. O'Brien and Goram in the same sentence doesn't make sense.

Edited by lenziebud

So you think that O'Brien is a commanding keeper then ?. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. For me he is non existant with balls into the box, he constantly spills the ball and his decision making can be overall quite poor. As I say I don't rate him and would definitely be looking for another keeper next season.

I did not refer to his ability at all.

I just fail to see how you can justify linking it to his height.